Rear-end collisions - 4% or 20%????

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
So I read this article. I realize it's from 2002 and discusses safety of 3rd row occupants, but this is what stuck out to me:

"There were 2.3 million rear collisions in 2000, according to the latest-available federal statistics. That was 21.7% of all crashes. There were 2,980 fatal rear-end wrecks in 2000, 6.2% of all fatal collisions."

Both of those percentages are higher than the 4% we always hear about and are taught when taking the CPST course. A friend and I were discussing this issue and we were wondering:

Which statistic is correct? 4% or 20%. Has there been that significant of a reduction in the past 7 years. Where do they get all the information and who is responsible for putting it all together and releasing the statistics to the general public?

Can anyone provide any information/insight here? Just curious.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The lower number (and I doubt the 4% stays static from year to year, it probably ranges from 3-6%) is the number of SERIOUS rear collisions. A good number of crashes involve the rear of someone (and usually the front of someone else), but they're minor. Both vehicles traveling in the same direction at similar speeds. Not head on or side collisions where the speed differences are greater, and therefore the forces greater. Side crashes are the most likely fatal, frontal crashes the most common severe crash, and rear crashes the most common, but the least severe.

Wendy

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
And a rear-end collision almost always also involves a front-end collision -- the other car.
My understanding was that if is is a rear-end collision involving another car, that it doesn't count twice so it wouldn't be considered a frontal collision as well. But I could be wrong.

NatenMaddiesMommy

Senior Community Member
The lower number (and I doubt the 4% stays static from year to year, it probably ranges from 3-6%) is the number of SERIOUS rear collisions. A good number of crashes involve the rear of someone (and usually the front of someone else), but they're minor. Both vehicles traveling in the same direction at similar speeds. Not head on or side collisions where the speed differences are greater, and therefore the forces greater. Side crashes are the most likely fatal, frontal crashes the most common severe crash, and rear crashes the most common, but the least severe.

Wendy

Thanks for the clarification. Any idea on who compiles the data? Is it based on accident reports, insurance claims, etc.?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC