What do we think of the Diono Dry Seat?

Boot

My potty training toddler just wet her new radian for the second time in as many days. Would the Diono dry seat be a good solution?

Also, do I have to wash the whole cover or would a good spot wash be sufficient? It's the plum cover.

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I had it and was not thrilled with it. It bunched up under the kiddo, plus the seams leaked.

I wound up cutting a "Chux" pad to fit under kiddo and had it long enough to go up kiddo's back and up the sides of the seat a bit. It wasn't perfect, but it worked.

tiggercat

I just had a "clean the radian" incident too. I am not sure about the dry seat. It is an aftermarket product and I am not 100% sure I am ok using it.

Ymmv, but I took my whole seat apart and wiped it all down. There was pee through the crotch strap hole, in the belt path, under the seat, the angle adjuster, and even inside the hinge where it folds (I folded the seat, wiped it with a baby wipe, let dry, then reopened it, don't want rust in there!). I also had to clean the memory foam (warm water and mild soap works, wring out in a towel) and cover.

ETA, my kiddo is a boy, the direction of flow might affect the answer, lol.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I just had a "clean the radian" incident too. I am not sure about the dry seat. It is an aftermarket product and I am not 100% sure I am ok using it.

Per SK/Diono, it is made for and approved for the radians. It is not considered an aftermarket product on their seats.

I have one. It always did more help than not having it. :shrug: I used waterproofing spray on the seams. You get it in the camping dept.

tiggercat

Per SK/Diono, it is made for and approved for the radians. It is not considered an aftermarket product on their seats.

I have one. It always did more help than not having it. :shrug: I used waterproofing spray on the seams. You get it in the camping dept.

Diono also makes a whole lot of products that I am extremely uncomfortable with, so I find it hard to draw the line.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Diono also makes a whole lot of products that I am extremely uncomfortable with, so I find it hard to draw the line.

Well, as long as it is only on their seat, I'm ok. The belt being too tight because the mightytite may be ok for the radian, too. They didn't make my seatbelt. ;) As I see the dry seat, my kid is leaving cloth diapers. Panties plus the dry seat still can't fill that void and require harness tightening. Matter of fact, I remember noting that it could be added in without needing to adjust dd1's harness. She was wearing panties and properly fitted in the seat. I added the dry seat without making any adjustments.

If nothing else, that's my parental decision.

canadiangie

I use a puppy pad in my seat. I place it diagonal and bring a corner up between her legs so that no pee gets on the crotch strap. I believe it was $12 for a bag of 25. They are paper thin.

I'm 100% fine doing this because I'm 500% not ok with cleaning my Radian and all it's crevices and components over and over.

We're right at the tail end of needing one, which is nice. I think it was about four weeks total that I felt like using something was a good plan. She's been my hardest to train, by far. Good thing she's the sweetest thing ever. :love:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I use a puppy pad in my seat. I place it diagonal and bring a corner up between her legs so that no pee gets on the crotch strap. I believe it was $12 for a bag of 25. They are paper thin.

I'm 100% fine doing this because I'm 500% not ok with cleaning my Radian and all it's crevices and components over and over.

We're right at the tail end of needing one, which is nice. I think it was about four weeks total that I felt like using something was a good plan. She's been my hardest to train, by far. Good thing she's the sweetest thing ever. :love:

That's similar to what I did with the Chux pad. Because they are SO thin, I felt perfectly fine about using it the way I did. It wasn't any thicker than a pair of thick underwear, and was CERTAINLY thinner than a diaper, so I felt okay about doing it.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I've had pretty good luck with the Dry Seat capturing a potty accident.

It does bunch up, especially after it's been washed once or twice. I wish I didn't need it and I'll be thrilled when DD stops peeing in the car seat. But I don't have any problem with the Dry Seat from a safety perspective. It's no more an "after market" product than a chux pad... or, frankly, even a diaper.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Piddle Pad deluxe is just as thin and has a terrycloth layer, the Dry Seat is sort of waterproofy. I had a Dry Seat, though, and mine never bunched, but I also don't think we ever had an accident in it, it just looked like stuff would bead up and drain right through the holes around the lap straps. Guess it depends on the angle the liquid is pouring :p Also used a waterproof-liner flannel pad with a hole cut in the crotch strap, can't recall if we ever had an accident with that, though. (My potty training problem kid was in the Marathon years ago, this latest kid wasn't a wetter, so I was prepared, but never had to test stuff out!)

tiggercat

I like the chux pad idea for an "in the midst of training" kid, but mine has been PT'd for months with only the one carseat mess, so I am not going to mess with stuff every trip (I also hate extra padding in seats, belly pads, etc., they all end up on the floor if the van :p ).

bella_1818

I like the chux pad idea for an "in the midst of training" kid, but mine has been PT'd for months with only the one carseat mess, so I am not going to mess with stuff every trip (I also hate extra padding in seats, belly pads, etc., they all end up on the floor if the van :p ).

At that point, I did the chux under the car seat cover. Still had to wash the cover if there was an accident, but didn't have to shampoo the car.

leighi123

For ds, I just took him to the bathroom right before getting into the car every time, and he never had an accident. If we were in the car more than an hour we would stop for a potty break. I potty trained him at 7months old.

canadiangie

For ds, I just took him to the bathroom right before getting into the car every time, and he never had an accident. If we were in the car more than an hour we would stop for a potty break. I potty trained him at 7months old.

Oh no worries, most of us know how amazing Levi is. In fact, I knew you would say he's never peed in his seat, ever, before I even opened the thread.

Some of us have kids who are equally awesome, just in other ways. :)

Boot

I'm trying to bite back a sarcastic response to this, but honestly, it's not helpful to hear "my child never did that". My son never peed in his seat either. My daughter does apparently, and I'm looking for the best solution. There have been some great tips on this thread so thank you to everyone who had something helpful to say.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC