Radian harness loosening

mommyfrog

Has there been a problem with the Radian harnesses loosening? My nephew is 2 years and very car seat resistant right now. He is rf in a SK Radian XTSL. My sister had the problem of the LATCH loosening so she installed with the seat belt. Then he kept getting the harness loose and wiggling his shoulders out. I told her to tuck the adjuster strap down so he couldn't reach it. She did and he's still getting it loose somehow and wiggling his shoulders out. Has anyone else had this problem? She's going to call Diono about the LATCH issue and the harness loosening. She just wanted to know if the harness loosening was a common problem or an isolated event. I don't recall reading about that problem with Radians.

In the meantime she has him ff so she can watch him better and because she hurt her back. He has a very large head though, like as big as my almost 5yo's 95th percentile head, and she really wants him safely rf. Right now ff is new, so he's being good. She knows it won't last though!!

ADS

mommyfrog

Good grief. I just realized, in the middle of the night, that I should tell her to install a different seat for him. The harness is not staying tight, duh!! She needs something low so he can climb in himself, 2years, 33 pounds. Hmmm...Regent long belt path, a different Radian (2008) with safe stop, or Safeguard Go.

embassykh

Diono will send you a new LATCH strap.

I have not heard of a problem with the radian harness loosening. If she buckles it empty, can she pull the harness straps loose?

Can he ride RF in the other radian?

Meg

When there was the big issue going on with the SL loosening and a huge thread going on here (I think 2 years ago?), my harness loosened on it's own. I contacted SK and they send me a new seat. Our issue was with an RN 80SL.

mommyfrog

Yes, he could ride the other Radian rf. She is just waiting for her back to heal because she literally has to wrestle him in the car seat sometimes. She started using rewards for getting buckled, but it doesn't always work. It's like putting an octopus in a bag!!:p I told her to put him in something else and call Diono. She will. She's really good about car seat safety.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
My daughter can get her arms out of the straps without loosening the harness, if she's angry and determined enough. Have you verified that the harness is in fact loosening?

j1j9O3mRL3te58JHlpVBLSV32MbWChKe_lg.jpg

I ended up putting an old-style black SK clip on her Radian which pulls the harness closer together so she can't do that.

Good luck.

mommyfrog

Yes, it's actually loosening. You'll tighten the straps when you put him in. By the time you get where you're going, they are loose enough to notice, like you never tightened them. The first couple times it happened she thought maybe she forgot to to tighten them. This was a while ago, like 6-9 months, maybe more, but she didn't tell me until now. He wasn't even taking his arms out at that point. When he started taking his arms out and being super resistant to going in is when she brought it up to me. He can't get his arms out of other seats, unless he can undo the chest clip. He has very broad shoulders, which I'm sure helps!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC