Harness or Booster for long trip?

Lemonade

Driving 6 hrs to my parents soon. Just me and kids as DH has to work the whole weekend. DS has been boostered since September and he's good for short rides. He still fits in his FR. Whole trip is on 95 through Philly, DE, Balt., DC, etc. Am I nuts for thinking to re-harness him for it. He's 41# and I think 46". Very unlikely that he will sleep.

ADS

momtotwogirls

What about using the FR as a booster and bringing the harness just in case. Thats what I plan on doing with my oldest who is about the same size when we go on long trips.

Lemonade

What about using the FR as a booster and bringing the harness just in case. Thats what I plan on doing with my oldest who is about the same size when we go on long trips.

I've got a minivan and he's been using a Monterey so it would be easier to bring both installed and not have to reconfigure anything. I'm on my own so I don't want to be stopped at a rest stop putting a harness back in:).

But you think it would be fine to booster him?

momtotwogirls

If he is unlikely to sleep then I would but install the Fr too. My oldest actually asked to go back into the harness after about 2ish months because she says she feels safer and she can move however she wants without being reminded to sit straight lol

aeormsby

Has he ever fallen asleep in the booster? Is that what you're worried about or more about him getting fidgety with the long drive?

My DD was in a booster for all of our long trips last year (including 2-day/12 hour each way trip to visit my sister) and she did fine in her booster. We make sure she has a duffel bag at her feet for long trips and she's never complained and never had any problems even when sleeping.

HappyHoo

My DD who is a few months younger still gets wiggly and likes to lunge at her brother when they start antagonizing each other. So for that reason, I like her harnessed on long trips :)She falls asleep too.

However I'm not sure how much longer she'll fit in the Frontier harness, so I think for our next long trip, I will need to go ahead and just let her ride in the booster.

I like the idea of having it available if you need it though.

Baylor

I've got a minivan and he's been using a Monterey so it would be easier to bring both installed and not have to reconfigure anything. I'm on my own so I don't want to be stopped at a rest stop putting a harness back in:).

But you think it would be fine to booster him?

I always have FR installed and The Monterey. So that I can use either or for ds2. I would probably use fr85 for the trip. Just one less thing for you to think about driving 6 hrs alone. That is what I would do. Especially if you can have both installed at same time.

Lemonade

Thanks everyone!

I put the FR(80) in his captain's chair. I installed the Mont as well as a SGL in the 3rd row. We often bring extra seats for my parents car because then I don't have to drive while we're there so I'll probably just have both kids ride in the boosters while there. DD is about 38-39# so don't flame me but I think she'll be fine in the SGL for short rides. She's ridden in DS's boosters a couple of times for very short rides and has done fine. I'd be sitting next to her anyway so there'd be no opportunity to fool around.

Oh, my main concern with DS is that he'll get wiggly after a while and maybe mess with the belt. I think it's mostly a mental thing of my part but I feel like I'll worry less and that will make the drive easier on me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC