Bittersweet week

teekadog

This weekend I'm flipping my 5yo FFing. A couple weeks ago it reached the point- or rather he reached the height- that each time I buckled him I was eyeballing if he still fit. I didn't have time to take it out and get it all cleaned and set up for FFing, so I just pushed my front seat up and reinstalled his Radian more reclined.

So now he has over an inch more growing room but I can't put anyone in my front passenger seat. This weekend I'll finally be home long enough to really clean and set up the Radian (I find the cover takes forever to dry), so we are counting down the days.

At first the kids were really excited but as it sinks in they are realizing how much they'll miss it. In my car my 2nd row RFers face my 3rd row FFers. There have been fights but for the most part it's great. It's going to be so sad to break that up. This will be the first time in over 8 years that I have only one RFer in the car.

I can't believe my baby's growing up- I found this site trying to find car seat options when I was pregnant with him.

ADS

teekadog

Thanks! I'm pretty pleased. I had hoped he'd be over 40lbs by the time he outgrew the Radian because I'm going to feel a teeny bit of unjustified parental guilt that I'm ffing a kid that's still so "small" he needs to use the SafeStop. But that's what the SafeStop is there for so I'm happy about that :)

scariestone

5 years of RF'ing is a great accomplishment :)

:yeahthatlove: Absolutely! I'll admit, I'm uber-jealous of you people with lightweight kids. I imported a swedish seat to keep DS RF until he turned 4 which he would have outgrown by weight shortly after anyway. I'm raising the jolly green giant. :p

teekadog

:yeahthatlove: Absolutely! I'll admit, I'm uber-jealous of you people with lightweight kids. I imported a swedish seat to keep DS RF until he turned 4 which he would have outgrown by weight shortly after anyway. I'm raising the jolly green giant. :p

I must admit getting to use carseats longer outweighs dealing with "failure to thrive" comments from others. DD2 wore size 6-9mo pants until she started school. She rfed to 4.5 in a 33lb MA. DS3 is actually one of my bigger kids!

Athena

I must admit getting to use carseats longer outweighs dealing with "failure to thrive" comments from others. DD2 wore size 6-9mo pants until she started school. She rfed to 4.5 in a 33lb MA. DS3 is actually one of my bigger kids!

I'm assuming you're talking about preschool/daycare, not kindergarten? For a second there, I totally misunderstood and was like, what? How could that be? :dizzy: Yes, I imagine there are advantages. My kids aren't heavy for their heights, but having tall kids does get expensive with all the new stuff one must buy more often. I quickly learned when my first was a baby to skip buying every size and go bigger when I could.

teekadog

I'm assuming you're talking about preschool/daycare, not kindergarten? For a second there, I totally misunderstood and was like, what? How could that be? :dizzy: Yes, I imagine there are advantages. My kids aren't heavy for their heights, but having tall kids does get expensive with all the new stuff one must buy more often. I quickly learned when my first was a baby to skip buying every size and go bigger when I could.

Whoops, I wasn't clear! I never am on the internet- that's why I try to keep my mouth shut :eek:

The baby leggings that were loose over her cloth diapers at a year were her under-dress bike shorts in kindergarten when she outgrew them. So she's petite, but still healthy. Actually she's grown quite a lot since I finally put her on a gluten-free diet. Guess I should have heeded that advice sooner :( I had a petite friend in 4th/5th grade that shared clothes with her 2yo brother in the same way.

And now that I'm reading over my words more closely, I really hope I didn't offend anyone by coming across as, I don't know, elitist? I don't think I'm some sort of hotshot for rfing so long. I've just learned a lot here and saw how uncomfortable my leggy kids were when they first turned ffing, so it's been nice to rf so long.

Athena

No worries! You sounded very nice and didn't say anything wrong at all. I think it's wonderful you were able to RF so long and often wish my kids weren't so tall to make things a bit easier for things like that.

P.S. I'm sorry if what I said sounded rude at all. Lack of nonverbal cues is always tricky. ;)

teekadog

No worries! You sounded very nice and didn't say anything wrong at all. I think it's wonderful you were able to RF so long and often wish my kids weren't so tall to make things a bit easier for things like that.

P.S. I'm sorry if what I said sounded rude at all. Lack of nonverbal cues is always tricky. ;)

Didn't sound rude at all and I appreciated the opportunity to chat more about our kids' sizes :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC