2011 Prius - Swedish vs. Australian tethering

regulardad

Hi Folks,

I just installed a Britax Advocate rear-facing in my 2011 Prius.

I have tried both tethering approaches. Of course I would like to use the safest one.

I tried posting images but I guess I am not allowed since I just signed up.

The Australian version I used is different from what is in the Britax manual in that both straps are on the inside side of the car seat. The manual showed a loop where one strap was on each side - this would make it virtually impossible to get my 1-year-old out of the seat unless the tether was removed and re-attached each time.

Even without the tether in the way, it is already tricky enough to navigate between the car seat, regular seat back and doorway to get her in place. My point is I am not sure if the Australian method becomes less effective with the straps on just one side.

With the Swedish version (the D-ring loop is attached to the leg of the front passenger seat, the car seat ends up getting pulled and tilted a little bit to the right when I tighten the tether. Maybe I could put a towel under the right side to mitigate this?

Also, I read somewhere that the car seat shouldn't touch the back of the front seats as it could impact the functioning of the airbag sensors. Not sure if the seat leg counts. The tether is not touching any other part of the seat, though it could if the front passenger were to move the seat back. Is this cause for concern?

Any help is appreciated - again I just want the safest option, regardless of aesthetics.

Thanks,

regulardad

ADS

Jeni-GAcpst

Swedish method is fine. The Australian method requires both sides of the versa tether, so it sounds like Swedish is your only choice.

Britax doesn't require the tether to be taught. Only remove the slack. The tether shouldn't be affecting the install/angle of the seat.

I'll take a look in the latch manual regarding Prius sensors in a few min. You might check the vehicle manual in the section about airbags to see whether there is any prohibition against storing items under the seat (due to sensors).

Jeni-GAcpst

Toyota hasn't supplied any info to the LATCH manual regarding air bag sensors. If there is anything under the seat, it would be in the vehicle manual. If the air bag section of the manual doesn't specify, you can usually assume the seat leg is fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC