RE: Signo RF tether

laurenrachey

RE: Signo RF tether

First off, she is a freakin customer rep, WHY has she not read the manual that is already up on the website!!! :eek: Secondly, WHAT the heck is she talking about with the tether attachment. I can't even understand that sentence. Ugh.:thumbsdown: I think this means I'm snail mailing that address someone posted recently. I'm tired of this.

Rachel,

You bet I'll be glad when they start shipping! :) I'm not sure what it says in the manual as I do not have one yet. The seat is rear facing tethered if you have a tether point on the floor of your vehicle. We will not offer a tether attachment as it would attach where the forward facing tether would attach and we feel this isn't safe as it may force the seat to fall toward the back of the seat when in an accident.

Gayle

ADS

singingpond

Re: Signo RF tether

Not sure if you've looked over at 'Coffee Break' lately, but someone (southpawboston) posted a report of an extensive conversation he had with an engineer at Recaro -- the RF tether question was pretty thoroughly discussed; not good news for those who really want to tether the seat RF, but at least there is finally a clearer answer, from someone other than the infamous Gayle.

laurenrachey

I'm just....not happy. I have been waiting on this seat for 7 months with incorrect information about its function. I just can't really even talk about it right now.

Thanks for pointing me to southpawboston's thread.

$#@$%#^&$

ThreeBeans

This woman is a nut and she needs to be $h!tcanned. Someone that ignorant about the product and basic terminology shouldn't be working in customer service. Maybe she can clean the toilets?

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus

She's only as good as the information she's given - blame her bosses for not educating her properly, maybe? SPB posted that she had had a lot of calls from people confused about "LATCH" who were calling it "tethers." In that light, her responses make more sense. She thinks people are asking "Can I use LATCH RF?" To which the correct response is "Yes, if your vehicle has anchors for it!"

In the response to the OP, her first comment sounds similar to what SPB learned, which was that they have had inconclusive test results based on the angle of tethering - I think at some point she must have been told that RF tethering would be allowed only if the vehicle could somehow have TA's directly behind the RF seat, and not realized that hardly any vehicles have that.

Then she is talking about Australian tethering, and she is correct that it wouldn't have needed a D-ring if they were going to allow it.

laurenrachey

Yeah I can see what you're saying about her bosses, but I still can't believe, being the person who email and phone questions come to first, kind of the first stop in the chain of command, that she hasn't read a manual that has been uploaded on her own company's website for at least a few weeks now.

I thought about the Australian method of tethering when I was talking with DH about it, and I looked up a picture of it. But not only do I NOT understand how that would help the seat to be safer, but how in the name of Zeus's BUTThole are you supposed to get a 30lb toddler through all that and buckled in on a daily basis!!!!! Judging by recent pictures of the Como installed RF, it is already going to be a challenge in some cars with the deepness and pure size of the carseat, I couldn't imagine compounding that with straps going through mid air toward the back of the car!

http://www.angelfire.com/wa3/isakswings/ratetherrf.html (Australian method is pictured)

From SPB's thread, I'm speculating (my opinion only) that until there are some sort of Federal standards on testing and RF tether points/locations within the car, that Recaro is not going to be jumping on board with the RF tether.

But, I wrote Gayle last week and stated very clearly exactly what the RF tether was. I also thought that maybe she had confused it with LATCH. I expressly said in the floor near the front driver/passenger seat, the top tether strap would come down, and anchor to a point there....she still maintained that it would be possible.

After all of this frustration, I still think it is the right seat for us, given the harness height and side impact (I drive a 91 model Explorer...not much in the way of safety). I am just very frustrated with the misinformation in the 'bottom of the ninth' after waiting so long for this seat. We will be buying locally so that we can test it out.

lovemyfamily

With all the inconsistencies in information about what I find to be one of the most important features of a RF seat, unless things change between now and when we need one, we will be staying a Britax family and either getting the MA, BV or the new Advocate for our next baby. :thumbsdown: to Recaro

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC