Question Britax Roundabout 55 vs True Fit

U

Unregistered

I am purchasing a second car seat for my husbands car. Our 14 month old is on the small side, and always has been. He's 7th percentile for weight and 40th for height. I have a Marathon 70 in our Suburban, and I like it. Size of the seat isn't a big deal. It is going in a Tahoe. I am not a huge fan of the HUGS thing, but it isn't enough to make me hate the seat. I am looking at the Roundabout 55 since it is MUCH cheaper, and we wouldn't use it often. However, Amazon has a True Fit for almost the same price. I have heard good things about them. I have also considered getting another Marathon 70 because the no rethread harness is SO wonderful! Realistically, how long do these convertibles really work? With my other two, who are now 7 (in a backless booster) and 13, I always did a FF car seat and then a booster once they were in preschool. Now that I know a lot more about safety, it is hard to pick seats and save money LOL! I have researched every seat to death!!! I plan to RF my 14 month old as long as possible. Anyone who has had a Roundabout 55 and can give me some info as far as how long it actually worked for your child would be great! Thanks!!!

ADS

jjordan

Welcome to car-seat.org. :) I'll see if I can answer your questions for you; don't hesitate to re-post if you have follow-up questions or if anything is unclear.

A Truefit has a no-rethread harness, so you might like that aspect of it better than the RA55. Any of those convertibles (marathon 70, roundabout 55, or truefit) should last your son (since he is on the small side) rear facing to probably age 4 or beyond, and forward facing (harnessed) to age 5-6. The truefit will probably last longest as a forward facing harnessed seat, followed by the marathon 70, and then the roundabout 55 - but realistically you probably won't *need* a seat that lasts longer. Same with rear facing, one or the other of the seats might last longer (though it is harder to say which in this case), but any of them should be sufficient for your needs.

Some people have found that narrow-shouldered children are too narrow for the truefit harness straps to fit properly, so if your ds is skinny, you might want to check his fit before you buy a truefit.

HTH!

MommyShannon

My 3 year old dd is average to small. We have the RA55, MA70, and True Fit Premier. I love all of them. The MA70 will last slightly longer than the RA55 FF. Since he is lower on the weight I'd get a True Fit Premier though. It has tons of legroom compared to Britax and is very tall. You can see DD in my siggy. Not to complicate things, but if you decide you'd like Britax, the Classic Britax seats are a little taller, but a 35lb rf limit that could be plenty. I'd still go with the TF though since I see how nice the room is as DD gets bigger.

U

Unregistered

Thank you SO much for all of the information! I truly appreciate it. I decided to go with the RA55 since it sounds like it will work for awhile. I also went and tried a TF in Babies R Us - I had the issue you mentioned with narrow shoulders. I feel like he fits best in the Britax seats. The TF was NICE, though! My oldest was a bigger baby/toddler, and I wish they had something like that 13 years ago!!! Thanks again

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC