Britax Frontier 85 SICT in Honda Ody 02

Bellarose0919

My daughter is 4-years-old, 43 lbs, 44 inches tall, 23.5 inches sitting height (head), 16 inches sitting height (shoulders).

She is currently rear-facing in a Radian RXTL, about to turn FF because of weight, in our 02 Honda Odyssey. She is also forward-facing in two other vehicles in Britax Boulevards (2008 boulevard and 2010 boulevard 70).

It looks like she is going to outgrow the sitting height FF for the boulevards.

We are considering the Britax Frontier 85 SICT for her but have heard about possible install issues in the ODY. The Radian was such a nightmare to get a good install with that we don't want another one ever. Right now we have it in well with seatbelt and an angle adjuster, but it has a slight tilt for some reason that a tech said was okay and we can't seem to get rid of. We are going to install it with LATCH for our baby, due in late April (going to try out being in a convertible right away, but if we can't get a good fit we will run out and get an infant seat, my daughter as a very large infant outgrew her infant seat at 4 months old), and that may be easier. Obviously, the frontier will need to be installed with seatbelt because of my 4yo's weight.

Will the frontier install in the middle third row (we have the weird seatbelt connector thing) or in the captain's chair second row?

Other tips/suggestions?

We love the Britax seats for easy/tight installs. I was hoping the frontier would be the same.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have an 03 Ody and we love our Frontier in it :).
It's really easy to install in the captain's chair. Reclining the seatback in Ody's, then installing, then re-uprighting will get any seat in solidly and with ease (even the Radian, though I admit, that one took me the longest to learn to install, and I've had 3 kids and dozens of seats in that car in 10 years). Not sure about the middle back, I haven't had the newer Frontier in there. It fit in the back side just fine with the short belt path (belt's not long enough for long belt path).
Have you added top tethers to the third row yet? It's pretty easy, there are plastic caps in the back of the car under the liftgate that you pop out and screw in the 'plate assembly', that you can get from a dealer for $12 or so. Of course the top tethers in the captain's chairs are the bent metal bars under the seat, ON the seat bottom, I run the Versa-tether inside the handle on the back of the captain's chair to keep it from sliding off the side.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I have an 03 Ody as well and I can put my Frontier in any position, except the 2nd row captain's chair that's scooted over toward the centre. The belt isn't long enough when the chair is there.

When you use the 3rd row centre with the funky belt you don't pull down the shoulder part - leave it tucked up in the ceiling and install with the lap belt only in the short belt path. You may need to recline the seat back a bit to get that sweet spot so the Frontier sits nicely on the vehicle seat.

I have been able to put it also on either side with the long belt path and the belt is JUST long enough, but it does require reclining the 3rd row seat back a tad as well.

Do install top tether anchors in the 3rd row if you don't already have them. The part is about $13 from Honda and if you have a torque wrench is easy to install yourself in about a minute per side.

mirandaall123

I second the install I have a 08 odyssey and have installed it in all positions including the center third row on lbp with no issues and such a tight install the recline on the rear seats helps me out so much. My last car was a Acadia thou and it was a nightmare for third row install so maybe I'm easily impressed. :)

Wreckgoddess

If you can wait until May, Britax is releasing the NEW Britax Frontier 90 then. It has a REALLY easy one hand seatbelt install. check out their website. It's called ClickTight

Bellarose0919

Thanks everyone!

No, I haven't retrofitted latch anchors. I'm only planning on having one seat in the third row. Maybe I will invest time and money into retrofitting if I ever need more forward-facing seats back there.

Ooooh, I'm wondering if I should wait until May for the new seats. I guess it depends on if she stays under 16.75 inches sitting until then. lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC