What do you consider High Mileage in Sienna or Odyssey?

cryswilkins

We are again considering possibly getting a van. I am picky, because I really don't want a van. We are looking at used, but I really don't know how much mileage is too high for either of these vans?

We are looking in the range 2007 to 2012. Anything I need to know about that age range for those vans?

ADS

Jessica61624

ahgirls

We bought our 06 odyssey with 89K in Feb of 2011. :eek: We purchased an extended warranty. Car facts showed one owner from LA. Whatever small problems we've had, it's been covered by warranty. I did have it checked over by mechanic first.

Mags462

Honestly - anything sub 150K if the price was right i would be OK with. BUT i don't drive a lot (roughly 8K per year) so the added miles i would not rack up much. I would also only want a vehicle ideally that had 1 owner.

I bought a 4 year old van (2005 sienna xle) with 78K miles on it. It was a one owner commuter..... and i have had ZERO issues with it in the 4 years i have owned it (it now has roughly 108K on it). We do routine maintenance to it of course, but our dealership and our mechanic friend both say the car is in excellent shape and should get to 200K without issue.

The one pricey thing you need to be aware of with vans with higher miles is the timing belt/water pump replacement. I know on Toyota's its recommended at every 90K. Not sure when Honda's need it. But you need to make sure it's done or that the price reflects the fact that you are about to need to invest in a 1K repair in a short amount of time. We did ours at roughly 94K - and by shopping EVERY toyota dealer in the metro we paid $750 for it, but i would say 1K is average for that maintenance.

And don't hate on the swagger wagon's.... trust me, with small kids, sliding doors are worth all the "mini-van un-cool-ness" :p

emntheboys

Hondas need to have the timing belt/water pump replaced around 105,000 miles. I've been quoted anywhere from $600-1000 for that visit, so if you are looking at anything in that mileage range, make sure you throw that into the purchase agreeement.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Hondas need to have the timing belt/water pump replaced around 105,000 miles. I've been quoted anywhere from $600-1000 for that visit, so if you are looking at anything in that mileage range, make sure you throw that into the purchase agreeement.

I wouldn't let a water pump/timing belt replace scare you away. It's a 50 dollar part and a fairly easy process. It's time intensive because you have to take a bunch of stuff off to reveal the pump, but it's mostly undoing bolts and putting them back in and lining up timing marks.

Mags462

I wouldn't let a water pump/timing belt replace scare you away. It's a 50 dollar part and a fairly easy process. It's time intensive because you have to take a bunch of stuff off to reveal the pump, but it's mostly undoing bolts and putting them back in and lining up timing marks.

I have no experience with a Honda - but i will say that replacing the water pump/timing belt on a Toyota is quite involved. My DH regularly does our car maintenance/repairs and he said he would feel more comfortable with letting the dealership do it. And he's a really handy guy ;) He has changed them on my parents camry, but the van i guess is a little more complicated. BUT in no way would i let that repair keep me from buying a quality van. It's a routine type of thing to replace the timing belt on a japanese car. It just happens to be pricey to do on a van. It's actually REALLY common for vans to be traded in around that 90K mark because people don't want to fork over the $$ to do it, so they trade up.

Hope you can find one you like! :)

safeinthecar

I have no experience with a Honda - but i will say that replacing the water pump/timing belt on a Toyota is quite involved. My DH regularly does our car maintenance/repairs and he said he would feel more comfortable with letting the dealership do it. And he's a really handy guy ;) He has changed them on my parents camry, but the van i guess is a little more complicated. BUT in no way would i let that repair keep me from buying a quality van. It's a routine type of thing to replace the timing belt on a japanese car. It just happens to be pricey to do on a van. It's actually REALLY common for vans to be traded in around that 90K mark because people don't want to fork over the $$ to do it, so they trade up.

Hope you can find one you like! :)

Oh I'm not saying it isn't involved. There'd 30 bagillion steps to the repair, but they are assembling Ikea furniture difficulty level rather than assembling a SK Monterrey box of parts difficulty level.

StillThankful

Calling on Jeanum?:whistle:

No personal experience with those years. But for the Sienna, I would consider high mileage at about 200K. For the Odysseys, some model years have had transmission problems so I would be cautious and do some research.

I actually love wikipedia when researching vehicles. They go generation by generation and differentiate each year's model features along with any problems that surfaced.

Honda Odyssey: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Odyssey_(North_America)

Problem areas include body integrity, body hardware, audio system, brakes and suspension according to Consumer Reports, April 2007. According to the online edition of Consumer Reports in late 2010, transmission problems have increased to worse than average for 2007 models. Crash test ratings have been five star in every test but the 2005 had a safety concern. "During the side impact test, the driver door became unlatched and opened. A door opening during a side impact crash increases the likelihood of occupant ejection."[18] Odyssey has won a spot on Car and Driver's 5Best trucks for the past three years, as well as a host of other awards. The Odyssey is the top-ranked minivan in the US News charts.[19]

Toyota Sienna: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Sienna

HTH

CarSeat Dad

Hi - I've been a long time lurker here researching car seats for my 2.5 y/o "DS" (am I using these acronyms right?) and my infant DS. I'm also a huge car guy.

The Odyssey and Sienna are great choices. However, you may want to consider 2011 and newer Chrysler Town & Countries and Dodge Grand Caravans. Chrysler (which owns Dodge) heavily revised these vans for the 2011 model year and replaced the interior, engines, and revised suspension tuning. The current engine - called the "Pentastar" - is thoroughly modern, powerful, V6. Chrysler literally bet their company developing the Pentastar engine as they put it in literally every vehicle they make, from Jeep Grand Cherokees to Dodge Stratus(es) and everything in between.

Current reliability information has been very good for the 2011 and newer Chrysler vans.

As others have pointed out, it is well known that Honda vans like to eat their transmissions for lunch. Also with the Honda, you will be looking at a $1000-1400 timing belt replacement if it has not been done. If the timing belt snaps on the road, you'll be stuck. All timing belts wear out and all timing belts will eventually break, so if it hasn't been done, its worth doing (or if it has not been changed, use it as negotiating leverage).

Due to the fact that older Chryslers had some reliability issues, used prices on the vans are extremely attractive. You could take advantage of the market disparity discounting a very competitive van and get a newer, lower mile vehicle for the same as an older, high mileage import. For example, this loaded Caravan - http://www.carmax.com/enus/view-car...+398+9&Q=feeaac26-4b56-4894-8354-67c101177f6f

You won't wrong choosing among the Honda, Toyota (or my favorite, the Caravan). If you do get a high mileage van regardless of make, you should have the transmission fluid flushed at a reputable shop unless you have documented evidence it has been done. We were in your spot not too long ago and after driving the 2011+ newer Dodges - they weren't even on our list - found it better fit our needs more than the other vans. The extra savings didn't hurt either.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My 2003 Ody has 96K and I've been dreading replacing the belts... I really need to get on that...

Ok, back to your regularly scheduled van discussion....

(Kim, my DH has replaced a few little parts, but I don't think my marriage would survive him doing something that big, lol) (Also LOL'ing at the memory of the Monterey parts :D:love:)

Thanks for chiming in, CarSeat Dad! It's always nice to have a dad's perspective here on a mom-filled board :)

MommyShannon

Our 2006 Ody has 150,000 miles on it and its great. DH did replace the timing belt and numerous things when we got it around 100,000 miles. I'm not sure he would call it easy. He is very handy and mechanically inclined. He spent a lot of time over 2-3 days and ordered tons of specialized tools that he didn't already have. He saved us money, but its not something anyone could do in an afternoon with screwdriver.

safeinthecar

(Kim, my DH has replaced a few little parts, but I don't think my marriage would survive him doing something that big, lol)

Seriously, it's a lot of idiot proofing stuff you have to unbolt to get access, but nothing complicated as long as you can remember which nuts go where. (Your DH I don't know about, but YOU I'm sure are talented enough to keep track, LOL) IIRC, I used 3 socket sizes (10, 13, and 17 I think) a clamp, a paper clip, and gasket sealant. I wouldn't have needed the clamp if I had remembered to compress the tensioner with a pry bar and lock it with the paper clip BEFORE I took it off.

The Oddy is easy because you can access it all from the top. Same job on a Honda Accord is a total PITA because you have to go at it from the bottom and there's an engine support in your way that you have to take off and then you have to support the engine on a block and worry about it falling on your head.

cryswilkins

Repairs like that don't scare me too much. My DH is pretty handy when he wants to be and my brother is a mechanic for GM so we have it covered there.

Interesting about the Caravans. I hate my friend T&C. It's a 2009 or 2010 I think. In also fairly spoiled with my current car, it's a Ford Freestyle limited so its loaded.

Sent from my iPhone and probably NAK, please excuse my typos.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC