Question Convertible for 2013 Subaru Forester?

A

agardner24

I am wondering if anyone can offer any recommendations for a good convertible for a 2013 Subaru Forester? I have done a lot of research, but it seems like there is so much conflicting information that I am still undecided about what to go with. Currently, I am considering the Britax Marathon 70, First Years True Fit or the Diono Radian R120 (although I would certainly consider other suggestions).....I like the Radian for its high height and weight limits (esp for RF), but have heard that it is really difficult to get a good install in the Forester (although I am planning on having it professionally installed). My son is 6 months old and approximately 15 lbs 25 inches. I also am concerned that he will be seated too low in the Radian to see out the windows (he is very curious...). It seems that people have better luck with the Marathon in the Forester, but the weight/height limits are lower (however I like the fact that the seat itself weighs less than the Radian, allowing for longer latch installation). Thank you in advance for any guidance...this is all so overwhelming!

ADS

eduller

Subarus are notorious for having small back seats that are not very car seat friendly. I used to have a Legacy, which the back seat is pretty much the same size as the Forester's backseat. I just could not get a good install on the Radian. It was always too loose in any position.

The Truefit Premier fit very well and installed very easily both with LATCH and the seat belt. I ended up having to trade up to a higher weight limit seat because my 2 year old is monstrous, but I loved her Truefit and she still had a couple of inches RF. It's a solidly built seat and installed very easily in every vehicle I tried it in.

I don't have any experience with Britax seats. I can tell you I was able to successfully install in my Legacy: Truefit, Scenera, Apt, Evenflo Tribute, and Safety 1st Guide 65.

cat mommy

With our 2007 Forester, I got a good install with both a RF Boulevard (similar to Marathon) and RF Radian. The Radian needed an angle adjuster in order for the driver to fit in the vehicle. Not sure if your son is old enough for the angle adjuster yet.

Last edited:

scariestone

The newer foresters have a much larger back seat than pre-2009 models. Radians install fine, though I found it much easier to do so with the seatbelt rather than latch. If you install the radian without the angle adjuster, you will have to move the seat in front of it very far forward in order to make it not touch the seat back(diono allows this, subaru does not because of the advanced airbags). The graco myride fits very nicely in the middle because of how narrow the base is. The graco size4me would be a good seat to look at as well. Assuming you need to use both front seats, you would just want to look for something that doesn't take up as much room front to back. Honestly the only time I've had issues installing seats is in the middle. Outboard, everything has installed easily as the seats are fairly roomy. Also, make sure you go to a CPST(certified passenger safety technician), not just a random firefighter or police officer. Any good CPST will teach you how to install your seat, not just install it for you.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC