Info from Chicco regarding NextFit replacement parts and harness strap covers

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Posting the following statement on behalf of Chicco's Child Safety Advocate:

Like many new products, a product launch occurs in phases. Replacement parts will be available for the NextFit.

The shoulder pads on the NextFit can be easily spot cleaned with warm water and mild soap. If necessary the shoulder pads may be removed for cleaning. However never use the NextFit without the shoulder pads in proper position. Like the seat cover, shoulder pads may be machine washed in cold water on delicate cycle using mild detergent. Hang to dry. Contact Chicco Customer Service at 1-877-424-4226 for assistance in removing or replacing your shoulder pads.

Chicco takes child passenger safety very seriously. One of the most common misuses with car seats is improperly routing the harness. With more advanced no-rethread harnesses, removing and replacing them is more difficult. Therefore, the risk of misuse increases. At this time, the harness straps on the NextFit car seat are not removable. You may sponge clean using warm water and mild soap. Air dry. Please contact Chicco Customer Service at 1-877-424-4226 if you have any questions regarding your car seat.

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I wanted to add a few comments of my own. I've had the NF for over a week and will be working on a complete and thorough blog review as soon as time and weather permits.

Here is my warning to everyone who owns this seat already - please do not get the bright idea, like I did :eek:, to remove the back cover even though there is nothing in the manual that suggests this is an option. Yes, it does come off if you remove the 2 screws and figure out the right way to slide it off. What I didn't realize at the time, was that the inside of that plastic cover works in conjunction with the no-rethread harness. Getting the cover back on and making sure it was aligned perfectly and attached the right way proved to be very, very tricky. I actually panicked a little once I realized what needed to be done. I did manage to get it all back together properly (I think :eek:) but I can totally understand now why Chicco does not want you to remove the back cover! I actually gave them feedback that they should bolt it on so the next person who has the same bright idea won't be able to remove the back panel with just a screwdriver.

With that said, there is a way to get the harness strap covers off without having access to the splitter plate and they're working on perfecting their instructions on how to do this. I've removed the harness strap covers from my demo NF model already so I can attest to the fact that it is possible. It will take a little time and patience since it's not as simple as removing the harness straps from the splitter plate and sliding the pads off, but it's not terribly difficult if you follow Chicco's specific tips and directions.

That's all I can say for now! HTH!

Last edited:

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I wanted to add a few comments of my own. I've had the NF for over a week and will be working on a complete and thorough blog review as soon as time and weather permits.

Here is my warning to everyone who owns this seat already - please do not get the bright idea, like I did :eek:, to remove the back cover even though there is nothing in the manual that suggests this is an option. Yes, it does come off if you remove the 2 screws and figure out the right way to slide it off. What I didn't realize at the time, was that the inside of that plastic cover works in conjunction with the no-rethread harness. Getting the cover back on and making sure it was aligned perfectly and attached the right way proved to be very, very tricky. I actually panicked a little once I realized what needed to be done. I did manage to get it all back together properly (I think :eek:) but I can totally understand now why Chicco does not want you to remove the back cover. I actually gave them feedback that they should bolt it on so the next person who has the same bright idea won't be able to remove the back panel with just a screwdriver.

With that said, there is a way to get the harness strap covers off without having access to the splitter plate and they're working on perfecting their instructions on how to do this. I've removed the harness strap covers from my demo NF model already so I can attest to the fact that it is possible. It will take a little time and patience since it's not as simple as removing the harness straps from the splitter plate and sliding the pads off, but it's not terribly difficult if you follow Chicco's specific tips and directions.

That's all I can say for now! HTH!

I'm looking forward to the blog review. I'm doing 9#, 3 day old newborn thru 65# 8.5 years old today and tomorrow. I'm excited. :)

thepote

Interesting about the plate and screws. Would you think the difficulty of getting it back together properly is to the extent that if someone came here having done that you or Chicco might advise that they discontinue use of the seat?

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Interesting about the plate and screws. Would you think the difficulty of getting it back together properly is to the extent that if someone came here having done that you or Chicco might advise that they discontinue use of the seat?

I'm really not sure. I honestly have no idea what bad things would/could happen in a crash if the no-rethread harness isn't attached to the "track" (for lack of a better word) on the back cover. There are also other potential mistakes (that would constitute gross misuse) that could be made if someone was really careless in how they rethreaded the harness.

If you encounter someone either online or IRL who has removed the back cover (presumably to try to remove the harness strap covers for cleaning), I would tell them to contact Chicco customer service immediately for further direction.

Last edited:

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Posting the following statement on behalf of Chicco's Child Safety Advocate:

Like many new products, a product launch occurs in phases. Replacement parts will be available for the NextFit.

The shoulder pads on the NextFit can be easily spot cleaned with warm water and mild soap. If necessary the shoulder pads may be removed for cleaning. However never use the NextFit without the shoulder pads in proper position. Like the seat cover, shoulder pads may be machine washed in cold water on delicate cycle using mild detergent. Hang to dry. Contact Chicco Customer Service at 1-877-424-4226 for assistance in removing or replacing your shoulder pads.

Chicco takes child passenger safety very seriously. One of the most common misuses with car seats is improperly routing the harness. With more advanced no-rethread harnesses, removing and replacing them is more difficult. Therefore, the risk of misuse increases. At this time, the harness straps on the NextFit car seat are not removable. You may sponge clean using warm water and mild soap. Air dry. Please contact Chicco Customer Service at 1-877-424-4226 if you have any questions regarding your car seat.

I swear I remember reading this at BC but when I went back to look for it, it wasn't there. I must be losing my mind :confused:.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Hey Kecia... did you happen to take any photos of your dismantled NextFit? (Also, that's a demo seat, right? Won't be used for transportation of anyone?)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I don't have any pics at this time - sorry. Yes, demo only. The only kids that will be sitting in this seat will be models for the blog review photo shoot (and the car won't be moving). Otherwise it's just going to be a training seat for tech classes. I'm 99.9% positive that I have it put back together correctly but if I'm wrong there will be no chance of unintended consequences.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I swear I remember reading this at BC but when I went back to look for it, it wasn't there. I must be losing my mind :confused:.

You're not losing your mind. Believe it or not, BC took the post down because apparently they don't allow CR Manufacturer Reps to post info or answer questions relating to their products on BC forums. Crazy, huh? :scratcheshead:

I made it a point to say that the welcome mat is always out for any CR reps who want to post here. :)

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I don't have any pics at this time - sorry. Yes, demo only. The only kids that will be sitting in this seat will be models for the blog review photo shoot (and the car won't be moving). Otherwise it's just going to be a training seat for tech classes. I'm 99.9% positive that I have it put back together correctly but if I'm wrong there will be no chance of unintended consequences.

Realized that my post may have come off wrong - I know that you are completely competent and would not put a kiddo in an unsafe seat, I just wanted to make sure it was clarified.

If you happen to dismantle again, inquiring minds would be curious to see the innards! :)

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You're not losing your mind. Believe it or not, BC took the post down because apparently they don't allow CR Manufacturer Reps to post info or answer questions relating to their products on BC forums. Crazy, huh? :scratcheshead:

I made it a point to say that the welcome mat is always out for any CR reps who want to post here. :)

Huh. That's changed since I was the board mod there because I remember having manufacturers clarifying things occasionally.

lincolnsmom

I have a question about the nextfit carseat. It has a few downsides, but overall I love it. Have been using it for a few weeks and today it got puked on enough to warrent removing the pad and washing it. I checked the instruction book and the first step in the description to remove the cover was to unsnap the headrest. There were pictures for all the other steps but no picture indicating where these snaps were. It was about 90 degrees inside the car and I am crawling around trying to get this cover off. Long story short, I thought the snaps were on the "wings" part of the headrest, so I am pulling the cover away and it seems like something is snapped on there so I think it is the right place. I realize when the Styrofoam starts making a bit of a cracking noise that this is not the right thing to be pulling. What happened is a small crack in a part of the Styrofoam but mainly the Styrofoam just separating from the plastic where it was glued on. I am sick to death that I may have made my brand new very expensive carseat I was planning on using for years unsafe for my baby. Especially because it was my fault. But the instruction booklet was rather vague in where the snaps were on the headrest, no picture or arrow indicating the general area and it is in a place that is difficult to see when the carseat is installed in the vehicle. Any advice for me? Is it still safe? Should I glue the Styrofoam back to the plastic? Call the company and admit my mistake but see if there is any recourse because of the vague instructions? Any help is appreciated!

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
It's okay - take a deep breath! :) Your seat isn't ruined. The "styrofoam" is actually EPS foam which isn't the most durable material in the world. I have cracked the EPS foam accidentally on some of my carseats over the years. As long as you're not missing chunks it's okay to repair it yourself. You can put a piece of tape (I use clear shipping tape) over the crack to make sure it doesn't continue to separate. As for gluing the EPS foam back onto the shell of the headrest- yup, you can do that. I just took apart my NextFit training seat and I can tell that the foam in the headrest is just glued on randomly with hot glue. If you have a glue gun - you can use that and it should be as good as new! HTH!

lincolnsmom

Thank you so much for the reply! Feeling much better. I did put some clear packing tape on the crack and used tape also to hold the Styrofoam or EPS back onto the plastic as I dont have a hot glue gun. I did contact chicco online and am waiting on their reply. So glad I didn't ruin anything and hopefully they can revise their instructions on removing the padding to make it clearer for others!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC