3rd row SUV help

VoodooChile

I'm looking to upgrade my Pilot (which dh will be keeping) to a new SUV. I'd really like a usable full-time 3rd row this time, with easy access, which I really didn't have in the Pilot. Can someone help with SUVs that have easier access to the 3rd row? I"m not interested in minivans. I know some SUVs have captains chairs instead of a 2nd row bench; maybe that would be easier?
Thanks!

ADS

canadiangie

I'm not a Chrysler girl, but I admit to being intrigued by the new Durango, and in your case you might prefer captains chairs.

That said, do you need tether anchors in the 3rd row of whatever you buy? If yes, how many? If no, that's important to know as we throw out ideas. :)

canadiangie

Well needing no tether anchors really makes things simple.

What are some vehicle brands you will not consider? For example, would you consider a Kia? And are you actually wanting captains chairs, or are you still undecided? That too really needs to be decided. :)

VoodooChile

I'll consider all brands. No experience with Hyundai, Kia, etc. Would strongly prefer captains chairs, I think. I can't get to my 3rd row now b/c of ds's seat--it keeps me from pushing/flipping part of a bench seat forward, and I don't want a crazy arrangement to accommodate that.
I also don't haul around a lot of cargo, no strollers, etc., so no need to take that into account.

cso1997

If you don't want to lose that middle seat, consider the Infiniti JX or the Nissan Pathfinder. The second row seat pivots to make a wider entrance to the third row.

Darren reviewed the JX here

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
CarseatBlog will have a review of the new Pathfinder in a month or two. Rear-seat access is easier than average for a midsize SUV, basically identical to the Infinity JX seats.

There will also be a review of the Chevy Traverse. With the 7-passenger version, you get a middle aisle that makes it fairly easy to get in the third row. The seats flip forward to make above average room to load from the door, but the flip forward mechanism isn't as easy to use as others.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I don't mind only having 2 seats in the middle.

The problem is that none of the midsize SUVs are all that much better than the Pilot, in my opinion. Maybe slight improvements in one aspect or another for 3rd row access or legroom or something, but none come close to minivans for comfort or access to the back seat. Plus, all the midsize SUVs have 3rd row seats that are relatively low to the floor. So, even for a model like the Traverse that has very good legroom for the class, my 14-year old who is 5'6" tall has his knees well up in the air while sitting. That means no thigh support at all. Not real comfortable for adults or teens other than for short trips around town.

VoodooChile

Any in the larger-SUV category that would meet my needs? I've never driven anything bigger than the Pilot; would I feel like I was driving a Sherman tank?

tmahanes

I have an older Sequoia and the 40 side of the 2nd flips completely out of the way to get in the back. The third row is pretty comfortable. I have tried a new one though but might be something to look at.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Any in the larger-SUV category that would meet my needs? I've never driven anything bigger than the Pilot; would I feel like I was driving a Sherman tank?

Most have more third row room and some have higher seating in the back, too. Of course, they generally cost a lot more and get a lot less fuel economy than a minivan, which has similar third row room and access, so it all depends on your preferences! Plus, being truck based, they usually don't have the same ride or handling as a crossover. You'd definitely want an extended test drive if you haven't driven a full size pickup or SUV before!

ks8511

I recently test drove a Chrysler Pacifica, and it has three rows, the middle one being two captain's chairs. From what I read online, I didn't think I would like it, but then I test drove it, and I absolutely loved it!It's a crossover of an SUV and a van.. but it definitely looks more like an SUV. You have to see it in person though because online pictures don't really do it justice.

I also test drove a Volvo XC 90. The middle row was a bench, but the middle seat folded down making access to the back semi easy.. but definitely not as easy as in the Pacifica.

VoodooChile

From looking online, I think I love the 2013 Durango. I need to see one IRL to see if I can actually get into the back row (and if the kids can). My friend's dh has one, so I should call her to see if his has the 2nd row bucket seats...

From looking online, I think I love the 2013 Durango. I need to see one IRL to see if I can actually get into the back row (and if the kids can). My friend's dh has one, so I should call her to see if his has the 2nd row bucket seats...

Try and do an extended or multiple test drives. On paper, it looked awesome. It kinda gets torn apart in reviews though.

What's wrong with it?

Don't get me wrong. It's GREATLY improved. It's just that while it has improved, it's not quite as good as the competition. As big as it is, it's still smallish on the inside compared to other competitors. Especially the 3rd row. The main reason is end up as a runner up is the drivetrain. It's either too slow (V6) or too inefficient (V6 and V8; gas mileage is pretty awful). Could be tuning (tried to keep it kinda sporty) or just cuz it's so fat. Just feels too trucklike and that's not what most buyers want. You may like it tho, which is why I said to still consider it. Just don't get your hopes up.

It's got good bones. It's based off the new Grand Cherokee and Mercedes ML. Interior quality has greatly improved (altho the old one was frightening as to how bad it was so the bar was really low).

I think you should check it out not because I think it'll be your top choice, but because it may be good enough and perhaps the pricing (ie dealer discounts) will make it worth considering.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I liked the new Durango, but honestly, I don't see it as being a big improvement for the third row over the current or previous generation Pilot.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC