Question Truefit SI C680 vs Chicco Nextfit?

ayahninjah

Hi!
I'm looking to buy a convertible carseat and have narrowed it down to the FY (Tomy?) Truefit SI C680 or the Chicco Nextfit due out next month.
My kids:
3.5yo DD, 33lbs, 38.5", currently in TFP C670, FF
4mo DD, 16lbs(!), c. 25", currently in Graco Safeseat, RF

My car:
2009 Subaru Outback

The deal is that the baby HATES the carseat. I am not going to buy another infant seat. When ODD was 2-11 mo, she cried every car ride, long or short. I simply can't deal with that again, so my hope is that by moving YDD to more comfortable seat, she might like it better? I know it's a longshot, but since I'll eventually buy one anyway, why not try now, right? RF, naturally.

So, which seat should I get? My ODD RF'ed in TFP until about 38 mo. It fits fine in the car, we don't need to fit a 3rd. I really do like that seat and considered getting the same thing, but I like the improvements of the SI and the Chicco looks interesting. Should I put ODD in a new seat and the baby in the TFP? Or should I get higher weight RF seat since YDD is so hefty already?

ADS

tristar

I just had this debate with myself. I ended up going with the new TF SI. Both my older kiddos had TFP's and I love them (my kids grow huge really fast and then pretty much stop gaining and just stretch out from 2-3 years). ODS RF in a TFP until he was just over 3. He was still under the 35lbs, but I had other reasons for turning him. DD is FF in hers right now as of a couple weeks ago. She's 30lbs at almost 2.5 years. I will likely RF her again when YDS's new seat comes and I rearrange my van yet again. I opted for going with something familiar over something totally new that I haven't even seen in person. I'd rather miss out on something totally fabulous for something that I know works than take a chance on ordering something I might not like. That's just me though...

MommyShannon

I would get your DD a combo seat (the new Frontier 90 looks awesome) and pass down the TFP. The main difference with the new TF is the headrest that your baby probably won't reach for awhile. Given her current weight, I'd want to see if it slows down to make the 35lb limit ok or if she will need a higher weight limit seat. A Frontier lasts 9 years so it will be passed down eventually too.

CMeMeC

I, too, would pass on the true fit to the baby and get your older child a ff combo seat. Just a side note, my baby hated the bucket and cried every time we put him in it. I switched to the true fit as soon as his shoulders fit (4 months or so, but he's tiny) and he hasn't "complained" since and he's now 2. Hopefully, you have the same luck. I do t think my son liked the "c" position his bucket put him in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC