Question Booster riders buckling themselves?

cantabdad

When I read reviews of cars or booster seats, there is often a mention of whether booster riders can easily buckle themselves in or not (e.g. floppy buckles, tight spaces, etc.).

From a safety culture perpsective, is it considered important for booster riders to be able to buckle themselves in -- to develop good habits of buckling up and thereby grow into teenagers who ALWAYS buckle up? Is this mentioned in the official CPS course?

Or is it primarily just a convenience thing for the parents? I could see where it would be annoying to have to re-buckle multiple kids, especially if you're doing lots of short trips in and out of the car.

Also, is a tight (but otherwise workable) 3-across setup considered problematic if it means that the parents always do the buckling for the booster rider(s), because the kids just don't have the manual dexterity to do so in a tight space?

Any comments would be welcome -- boosters are still new and mysterious to me.

ADS

aeormsby

I would say it's primarily a convenience thing. Especially if kids are in the 3rd row and it's difficult for an adult to reach to help. It's not uncommon for boosters to be harder to buckle than a 5-pt harness, with the harness the buckles are right in front of you, with the booster you need to reach around while keeping the belt from retracting and then make sure the seatbelt is routed correctly after it's buckled.

There are definitely some boosters and seatbelt styles that are easier than others. My DD has a harder time in our truck with the long floppy buckle stalk than in our Outlook which has short, fixed buckle stalks.

Mysweethoneybee

I am weird and I have never had multiple kids to buckle, but I always buckled or at least check the seatbelt of my kids until they are at least 8 because sometimes they think they get them clicked in and don't. My youngest is now 5 and he can't do the seat belt with his booster seat in our Dodge Caravan, but he can do the seat belt fine if he is just sitting in the seat playing with it.

tiggercat

I like my kids to be able to buckle their own boosters, mostly because it gives me less to worry about when they ride with other people. Ironically, though, my 7yo can buckle in my vehicle and not in her father or grandmother's vehicles (both tight 3 acrosses).

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

I think its both. I have 4 kids so its nice that two can buckle themselves (one harness, one booster) while I buckle the others then check theirs. I do think its important for dd to know how to do it herself so she knows its right when riding with someone else. My mom is very safety conscious, but its good that dd knows how to make sure the belt isn't twisted in the guide and that both parts of the belt go under the armrest on the buckle side. DS is starting to use boosters with my mom and she buckles him still. I don't think I would let my kids ride with anyone else unless they know how to buckle themselves or I know the person is experienced using boosters properly (not just my showing them once). It really hasn't come up though besides riding with my mom.

skylinphoto

Its important to me for their safety when riding with other people. My ds buckles himself properly and other people may not if they had to help him..

My dd (only hbb as a spare) cant buckle herself in a booster. Ds knows I would expect him to buckle her up first then himself if hes in someone elses car without me. :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Car-Seat.Org

scariestone

I like my kids to be able to buckle their own boosters, mostly because it gives me less to worry about when they ride with other people.

:yeahthat: For me that's what it is. Neither my MIL nor DH have ever dealt with boosters and can't get it through their heads how the belt is supposed to be routed but DS knows so he's able to get himself buckled in properly. Strangely enough, DS can buckle and unbuckle with a booster but was never able to with any of his harnessed seats.

D&L's-mommy

Its important to me for their safety when riding with other people. My ds buckles himself properly and other people may not if they had to help him..

My dd (only hbb as a spare) cant buckle herself in a booster.

:yeahthat:

my almost 9yo can buckle himself in his gma's van (fixed buckle stalks), but needs help buckling in our car (floppy stalks), but he always checks to make sure his lap belt is snug and the shoulder belt is properly positioned, he often tells me DH does a bad job (which is often true)

my dd also uses a hbb in gma's van, she needs buckled, but the only time she rides in that is when I'm along with, which is good since gma thinks being so concerned about vehicle safety is a joke :rolleyes: I'm working on teaching DD proper belf fit. If there's even an emergency where my kids need to get a ride from someone they don't normally it's important for me to know that they can buckle themselves in properly, since a lot of people don't know

Athena

From a safety culture perspective, is it considered important for booster riders to be able to buckle themselves in -- to develop good habits of buckling up and thereby grow into teenagers who ALWAYS buckle up?

I would think that, regardless of who is doing the buckling, the important thing is that they are always buckled and that they learn the importance of this.

I think it's mainly convenience, but I'm one of those parents who wouldn't drive off without checking it myself anyway, at least until they are quite a bit older. I don't let them ride with anyone who wouldn't check too. After all, if they don't check, they could be driving off before the child has had the chance to buckle, especially in an unfamiliar car that might take longer. I totally get the convenience of kids being able to do it themselves. Yes, it is a huge pain, especially when making little stops with multiple kids getting in and out over and over. However, I try to remind myself that's part of being a parent. After all, it's not all hugs and fun. That doesn't mean I don't expect them to try to buckle up themselves and do what they can and if it's really not going well, sometimes that means I decide some stops just aren't that important to make.

Last edited:

Kat_Momof3

I'm gonna say both... plus, much as with buckling their own harness (not that all kids do) it helps with dexterity and motor skills :) not to mention hand/eye coordination.

I do think that the earlier they are allowed to try to help in being safe, the better it sticks... but that's me... I now have a 13yr old who if I ask him if he buckled, he doesn't always know, but he always is... aka... the habit of buckling as soon as in the car is that inbred that he doesn't even realize that he's done it... and tightened himself... till I ask sometimes... but then, talking is a distraction from remembering what you are doing. HOwever, I'd rather he have it done, then realize he did it... so there you are.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC