Article in Slate about reclining front seat

ADS

natysr

So......I can't help but ask...how much tilt is okay? Must it be completely upright? Is there a specific angle that is too much?

steph

So......I can't help but ask...how much tilt is okay? Must it be completely upright? Is there a specific angle that is too much?

:yeahthat:

Mine is pretty upright, maybe one click back (hope that makes sense) from being completely at a 90degree angle.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
I seem to remember one vehicle manual saying not more than 45 degrees, which sounded like too much to me....

TXAggieTech

I guess I am one of the 5% who reads the manual! I remember this being discussed in Drivers Ed in the early 90s.

What is common sense to people in car safety related fields isn't to the rest of the world.

Don't some cities have ordinances against this?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My vehicle manuals say not to do it...

I think you can recline a bit, but the shoulderbelt has to be touching your body (chest at least, shoulder if you can), otherwise you slam into it, rather than riding down the crash with it... or you submarine out of it....broken legs at the best, crushed guts at the worst.. all in all, it's A Very Bad Thing to recline too much.

Make sure you're passing the 5 step test, and you're A-OK. (I am ALWAYS pulling my lapbelt down lower on my hips, and adjusting my shoulderbelt up and down depending on the seat recline...)

Niea

I'm one of the 5% also, I guess. I'm a gadget freak so it bugged the heck out of me to not know what each little function of my new car did. The car is 9 mos old and I still use the manual as bedtime reading. LOL

But I am also in the minority, apparently, because it's always been obvious to me that a reclined seat isn't safe. As a kid, yeah I didn't know. But by the time I had my own license at 15, I knew it wasn't safe at all. I've never ever allowed my passengers to ride reclined more than a couple of clicks back. . not even near 45 degrees. But I can't attribute my knowledge to anything specific. . .I didn't get into carseats and car safety until very recently.

CRS

Senior Community Member
that's great that there was an article about this, as it's oviously a safety issue (even my DW and i would recline our seats to sleep before we had kids and didn't know better).

but it's not just limited to reclining to sleep. there's another very related reclined seat dilemma that i've wondered a lot about.
I dunno, maybe you have to be my age to get it ;) You probably have snoop dogg and the like to thank for that ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC