2005 Subaru Outback

daniele_ut

We are going to look at a replacement for dh's 2001 Impreza outback right now. It's a 2005 Outback. Do I have a prayer of fitting a RF convertible, LBB and a combination seat or FF convertible in it? It won't happen often since the van is our main family vehicle.

I currently have a Harmony LBB, RA 50, CCO, Nautilus, old style parkway, Turbo in our stash of seats.

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Yes. I used to have a GN and rf CCO in my 2001 Outback (CCO in the center). The GN was over as far as possible, and the CCO and the GN armrest overlapped a bit, but there was enough room for me on the other side (and I'm not small). I'm pretty sure you could get a backless there. If anything, I think the newer models are more car seat friendly.

Here are some pics-

GN all the way over:
GNinstalled.jpg

a bit of overlap:
overlap1.jpg

space on the other side:
driversside.jpg

daniele_ut

Thanks for those pictures Crunchy!

We went to take a look at it and it's in great condition and we're seriously considering it. The only drawback is that it has that dreaded hump in the middle of the backseat. The Harmony won't work in the center because the buckles are too close together. I was able to get a great install in the center and outboard with the RA50 both FF and RF but the booster next to it in either direction was insanely hard to buckle. I need to see if I can borrow a Radian to try out in that spot. I didn't have time to grab the CCO before we left but we need to go back and drive it again after the mechanic replaces the clutch so I will see if I can make RF CCO, FF Radian, LBB work just because i would rather have DD in the middle if she's forward facing. I'll also try the CCO in the center but I'm skeptical about the hump.

crunchierthanthou

Mine had a hump, too- a hump, long buckle stalks, and a rigid plastic thing to hold the buckles when you fold the seats. I could get the Radian in the center if I lowered the recline foot and gave the buckle stalk a few twists (kneel on it, tighten from the front). The CCO actually sat right over the hump, no issues.

contour.jpg

centerposition.jpg

daniele_ut

Awesome, thank you! The outboard stalks are set low into the seat bight so that is an improvement over the hugely long ones. The center one is attached to a webbing strap but its short and the plastic thing is gone too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC