Need an easy 'go-to' stroller

daisypaige

I am looking for suggestions on a small single stroller for running quick errands. I have a nice stroller for trips to the zoo, walks, etc., but need something for running into the post office, library, etc. It needs to fold/unfold easily, be small enough to store in my trunk 24/7, and have a belt for containing DS2. He's currently 15 months, 23 lbs, about 30 inches tall, but I'd like it to last him for a couple more years. I'd love something comfortable for him, and it doesn't need its own storage. I can spend $100, but DH would be happier if I spent less.

ADS

daisypaige

How about the Uppababy G-Lite or Cybex Ruby?

ETA: Sorry for the double post!

I had no idea what strollers to start looking at, so you just started my list for me! Do you have either of those strollers? If yes, what are the things you love and hate about it?

I'm not very gear-knowledgeable - I usually come on here when I need something and you fine people steer me in the right direction. ;)

jordansmom

I had no idea what strollers to start looking at, so you just started my list for me! Do you have either of those strollers? If yes, what are the things you love and hate about it?

I'm not very gear-knowledgeable - I usually come on here when I need something and you fine people steer me in the right direction. ;)

I don't have either at the moment, but have test driven both and if I had room for a lightweight umbrella in my "fleet of strollers", I would purchase one of them. I am NOT a fan of Maclaren umbrella's at all :duck:. My cousin uses a G-Lite with my 36 in, 35 lb nephew regularly and loves it. I like that they both come in pretty colors, have "big" canopies for umbrella strollers, easy folds and they both push pretty easily. Both are very lightweight. They are probably both over your budget, but if you keep an eye out you can find either for under $100 with a good sale.

These videos might be a good place to start:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUUEkWyHPYs"]UppaBaby G-Lite 2013 Stroller Review - Baby Gizmo - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90WDEjKVzdg"]Baby Gizmo Cybex Ruby Stroller Review - YouTube[/ame]

Albeebaby.com has a couple older model Cybex Ruby's on sale for around and under $100. And a couple G-Lite's for just over $100.

If you want lightweight and not an umbrella style fold, then take a look at the Target Baby Jogger City Mini...they were all just on closeout and people bought them up in the $50 to $75 range. Ebay and Craigslist seem to be overloaded with people reselling them now, and you could definitely find one under $100.

daisypaige

I don't have either at the moment, but have test driven both and if I had room for a lightweight umbrella in my "fleet of strollers", I would purchase one of them. I am NOT a fan of Maclaren umbrella's at all :duck:. My cousin uses a G-Lite with my 36 in, 35 lb nephew regularly and loves it. I like that they both come in pretty colors, have "big" canopies for umbrella strollers, easy folds and they both push pretty easily. Both are very lightweight. They are probably both over your budget, but if you keep an eye out you can find either for under $100 with a good sale.

These videos might be a good place to start:
UppaBaby G-Lite 2013 Stroller Review - Baby Gizmo - YouTube
Baby Gizmo Cybex Ruby Stroller Review - YouTube

Albeebaby.com has a couple older model Cybex Ruby's on sale for around and under $100. And a couple G-Lite's for just over $100.

If you want lightweight and not an umbrella style fold, then take a look at the Target Baby Jogger City Mini...they were all just on closeout and people bought them up in the $50 to $75 range. Ebay and Craigslist seem to be overloaded with people reselling them now, and you could definitely find one under $100.

The G-Lite is sounding good to me. I think I do want an umbrella-fold, but I got curious so looked on my Craigslist. Are the ones sold at Target called Micro instead of Mini?

Mercuria

Yes. They have smaller wheels and cheaper fabric than the Mini. They're also sling seats (easily rectified), but the frame is the same, the canopy is the same, the basket's the same, and it takes the same accessories. The push isn't as good as the Mini, but, at that price, it's still an amazing deal.

The G-Lite will give you a better push and is lighter, but isn't as full-featured as the Micro. As a quick in-and-out stroller, it would do fine. It just depends on your priorities and/or what form factor you prefer :)

zactayaus

I don't think there's a stroller out there that folds any quicker or easier then the City Mini/Micro. Seriously love the fold on them.:love:

daisypaige

I like the idea of the carrying shoulder strap on the G-Lite and the Ruby, but wondering if I might regret not getting a stroller with recline. How bulky is the Micro? I'm just trying to think here, where will I *really* use this stroller? Ultimately I know I want something to just keep in my trunk. It would be primarily for scooting around the library, and shopping at places without carts (primarily clothing stores), so I definitely need something fast and easy.

Gah. I really want to avoid bulk, but I do want it to be comfy for DS2 for the days he needs to be strapped in for 30 mins during swimming lessons, or when we go for a last-minute walk when visiting my sister. The non-planned outings, I guess. DH was pretty adamant about keeping it under $100, but I might be able to sway him to $150. And while it's not really urgent, I'd rather get it sooner than later.

wnkw

Id consider what vehicle it would be in. Sometimes a typical umbrella fold is more of a pain in a car than the mini/micro/b-agile. I have the b-agile, micro, and b-nimble and take different ones depending on what we will have in our trunk of which vehicle. I got a b-agile off of no better deal the other day for 125 shipped. The micro I paid like 130 for at target. The n-nimble I got from wayfair clearance (+glitch) for around 60, but they normally have them around 125.

Sent from my DROIDX using Car-Seat.Org

daisypaige

In my search, I came across a used Maclaren Triumph for $80 in 'like-new' condition on craigslist. The guy said his wife bought it brand-new in 2010, so I'm guessing that's the year of manufacture. Good deal? At least looking into? There's also a used Quest about a 30 mins drive away also for sale, $95. It looks a little fancier.

lahuffman

I have a Maclaren Volo just for this purpose. It was my third MAC, I kept downsizing XLR, Triumph, Volo. DD2 now uses it and the no recline has not been an issue.

bella_1818

I have a Maclaren Volvo for this purpose and LOVE it. The basket is only big enough to hold DS's video games, but at 5.5 he still has 2 more years at least to fit in it. We rarely use a stroller there says, but the Mac is awesome when we need it.

I paid $68 for mine as a floor model at BRU.

Gilt has new ones in sale right now.

If I was buying used, I'd try to buy a new one with the round hinge, not the old style hinge that has gotten Maclaren into bankruptcy. .

daisypaige

I have a Maclaren Volvo for this purpose and LOVE it. The basket is only big enough to hold DS's video games, but at 5.5 he still has 2 more years at least to fit in it. We rarely use a stroller there says, but the Mac is awesome when we need it.

I paid $68 for mine as a floor model at BRU.

Gilt has new ones in sale right now.

If I was buying used, I'd try to buy a new one with the round hinge, not the old style hinge that has gotten Maclaren into bankruptcy. .

Thanks for the heads up, Bella. This one's hinge is definitely not round like current model pics.

There are a couple of Target's closeout Micros in my area, so I picked one up today for $90. Not sure if that was a smoking deal or not (BNIB, DOM 06/2012) but it was the right price for my budget. I just put it together to take out for a spin and can I just say WOW to the fold? And it seems to lie pretty flat, too. I don't love that I can't hang my stroller bag on the handle bar, and that the front wheels need maneuvering to take off when it's already folded, but overall I don't think I'm going to be sad about purchasing it.

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!

Athena

Thanks for the heads up, Bella. This one's hinge is definitely not round like current model pics.

FYI if they are selling it without the hinge covers, they are breaking the law. One cannot sell recalled items and that includes items for which the recall repair has not occurred.

There are a couple of Target's closeout Micros in my area, so I picked one up today for $90. Not sure if that was a smoking deal or not (BNIB, DOM 06/2012) but it was the right price for my budget. I just put it together to take out for a spin and can I just say WOW to the fold? And it seems to lie pretty flat, too. I don't love that I can't hang my stroller bag on the handle bar, and that the front wheels need maneuvering to take off when it's already folded, but overall I don't think I'm going to be sad about purchasing it.

Sounds like a good deal. If I hadn't already had my mini, I would have seriously considered getting a Micro on clearance. But why can't you hang your bag on the handle? I know it says not to, but it's the only stroller I owned that did, yet probably the most stable, so I disregard it. :eek: You'll probably find you don't need to remove the wheels since it has such a nice, compact fold even with them on. I hope you love it!

jordansmom

Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions!

I think you got a fair price and will be VERY happy with it! The fold is great! Enjoy your new wheels! :D

daisypaige

FYI if they are selling it without the hinge covers, they are breaking the law. One cannot sell recalled items and that includes items for which the recall repair has not occurred.

Sounds like a good deal. If I hadn't already had my mini, I would have seriously considered getting a Micro on clearance. But why can't you hang your bag on the handle? I know it says not to, but it's the only stroller I owned that did, yet probably the most stable, so I disregard it. :eek: You'll probably find you don't need to remove the wheels since it has such a nice, compact fold even with them on. I hope you love it!

I just figured I better not hang my bag on the handle because they said so, ha ha. Do you happen to know if the Mini snack tray fits the Micro?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC