Would you let a 54lb 10yo...

zactayaus

...that is 52" tall ride in the 3rd row of your vehicle without a booster if they 5 stepped there?

Just curious. DS2 will be 10 next month and he absolutely hates that he is still in a booster. Not a single friend of his rides in one. Unfortunately for him it will be a good two years before he will 5 step in my 2nd row. He may however already 5 step in the 3rd row. I haven't tried him yet because I wanted to get opinions first before I got his hopes up. I'm just not sure how I feel if he does 5 step there too as he's such a light weight.

What do you guys think?

ETA: Link to pics in post #20.

Last edited:
ADS

Lemonade

If he fits, I would let him sit in the 3rd row. Isn't weight is secondary to bone strength at this point? Keep the NBB in the car if he ever wants to ride in the 2nd row. My DS is small...I will be posting this in a few years.

Baylor

I would if he 5 steps. But only in that position. I know my son fits different in different cars and places and noticed how close he was to 5 stepping in one of my dads cars... Luckily, He traded that one in,, :)

jacqui276

Just curious, but at what age would you guys be ok with a kid sitting in those mini 3rd rows if they 5-step in them? My 3rd row is really close to the floor and designed for kids as well so DD (who is 8yrs, 8mo) 5-steps back there. So far I haven't let her ride back there since her riding without a booster makes me nervous. Is there a "magical age" where you guys would be ok with it?

NVMBR02

My 9.5 year old is right about the same size, 53" and 52 pounds. She is also really close to 5 stepping in our third row and hates riding in a booster. I have decided when she 5 steps completely to my satisfaction I will let her ride back there without a booster.

I may be in the minority on here but I know how badly she wants out of the booster and I know that peer pressure if a horrible thing. We are going to recheck how she fits once school lets out this summer.

tiggercat

52in is pretty short to 5 step (my 7yo is about 52in/57lb), but if they definitively and 100% 5 step? Yes, I think I would let them.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

zactayaus

Thanks everyone. I will wait until he actually turns 10 next month on 4/16. Then I'll tell him that I just want to check his fit in the 3rd row without the booster just to see how much longer I think he'll need the booster there. Then of course I'll take a bunch of pics and post them here for opinions. That way I won't get his hopes up to much if he still doesn't fit without it.

ctbcleveland

Is he small enough to fit in a bubble bum? I wonder if he'd be less self concious with that since it is more like a pillow (more discreet).

Harmony96

Thanks everyone. I will wait until he actually turns 10 next month on 4/16. Then I'll tell him that I just want to check his fit in the 3rd row without the booster just to see how much longer I think he'll need the booster there. Then of course I'll take a bunch of pics and post them here for opinions. That way I won't get his hopes up to much if he still doesn't fit without it.

That sounds like a good plan. Can't wait to see the pics.

thepote

The third row is where I put ds2's 9-10 yo friends that don't use a booster, because they five step there with no concerns. Ds2 is still a car sleeper, so I'm hoping he continues to be ok with his hbb for a while yet.

crunchierthanthou

Yes- 5 steps is 5 steps. If he fits, he can ride there. If he doesn't want to climb back there every time, I'd just explain that riding in the second row means using a booster and let him choose.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I'm skeptical that a 52" child will truly 5-step in most vehicles, but if you're a hard grader on the 5-step test and he really does pass, I'd probably allow it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC