High back booster with or without 5 point? (merged 2 threads together)

Jayval

Hi! My daughter is just over 4 1/2..is 45 lbs, and 45 inches....
She is currently in the Britax Roundabout 50 but which goes to 50 lbs, and 49 inches, but honestly she has seem to outgrown it..it is so hard for her to get in it, and she is not as comfy anymore..
So we were thinking about the Graco Affix youth booster, or the nautilus....
Leaning more towards the Affix booster with latch system that uses the cars seatbelt...
Do you think she is ok for that, or buy one with the 5 point harness too, and spend the extra money..
she is tall and strong for her age....Not heavy, but hearty :)

ADS

Keeyamah

Re: High back booster with or without 5 point?

Moving to a booster, especially full time, is a question of maturity. Will she sit properly (no leaning over to pick up the toy she dropped, etc.) 100% of the time, even on a 2 hr car ride? If the answer to that is yes, which for most 4.5 yr old's, is unlikely, then she would be safe in a booster. If you feel she would wiggle around and be out of position at any time during any ride, she still needs a 5 pt harness for another year or so. Myself, I bought my DS (3.5 yrs, just a little smaller than your DD) a Britax Frontier 85.

I'd look at the Nautilus, Maestro (but be prepared to buy a dedicated booster after she outgrows the harness) or Evenflo Securekid 300 or 400 will give her another year or more harness, then you can move her to a booster. The Nautilus and Securekid become decent boosters, the Maestro's headrest doesn't adjust so the booster portion is outgrown almost the same time as the harness.

Jayval

Need help : hig back booster w seatbelt or w seatback and 5 poitn harness option?

Hi! My daughter is slightly over 4 1/2, and she is tall for her age...she is about 44 inches, and 45-46 lbs....She is currently in the Britax Roundabout 50, and is outgrowing it...Also hard for her to get up into it now...even though technically the ht limit is 49 inches, and 50 lbs....
My question is do I get her a highback booster that you use just he seatbelt like the gracco affix or something with the 5 point harness liek the gracco nautilus....
Also, does height limit play a role when a child keeps using the 5 pt harness?
I assume it is safeest to use the 5 point as long as possible? I know some of my friends have had their kids in a booster with regular seatbelt since about 3 1/2 -4....
Please give me all the experience you can...Also, maybe I should look into brittax instead..I think the price was double..

MommyShannon

The 49" limit is just an estimate. A ff seat is outgrown when the child's shoulders are above the top harness slot. You can have your dd sit against a wall and measure up to her shoulder to get her torso height. For a 4.5 year old, I'd definitely get a combo seat (harness to booster) since most kids don't have the maturity to sit still in a booster until 5 or 6 years old. The nautilus and SecureKid 300/400 are good option with ~18" harnesses. The Britax Frontier costs more but has a 20" harness. I love the FR for my kids b/c its very comfy and they sleep better in it, but they loved the nautilus for years too.

Jayval

Re: Need help : hig back booster w seatbelt or w seatback and 5 poitn harness option?

Thank you! Does the nautilus have a good enough length harness too? I will have ot go back to the store and check them out again, as last week we were focusing more on teh boosters with the seat belts until i did more research...

MommyShannon

Its also 18" which is plenty tall enough for most kids. Where are her shoulders in relation to the top slot of her RA50 now?
ETA: the top slot on the RA50 is 17" so if she is close to it, you might need the taller Britax Frontier.

Jayval

Re: Need help : hig back booster w seatbelt or w seatback and 5 poitn harness option?

I will go outside wiht her today and check..I cant remember :) Thank you so much.. :)

Jayval

Ok..Just checked..She is on the middle slot in Roundabout 55, but needs to go to the top slot as I noticed the belt is slightly lower then her shoudlers now..When we move it to the top slot, it will be just above her shoulders slightly...So I guess the nautilus will be ok .....I think? Really didnt want to spend $300 for frontier, but will if it is more comfy too...Any other brands?

Jayval

Just realized the frontier at babies r us is only 219.00 so i think that woudl be best then..looks comfy :)

MommyShannon

Do you have a Roundabout 50 or 55. The 55's highest slot is only 16" just to get an idea where she is. There is info being released about the new Frontier 90 on Monday. Rumors are it will be out in May. I love the Frontier 85 but it can be a tricky install. The new one is supposed to be much easier. It will have a similar price but I don't know if it will actually be around $215 like you can normally find the FR85 for. Since she still has growing room, it might be worth waiting and seeing.

Jayval

Its the cowmooflage roundabout 50 :) I did see a frontier 85 that had extra side impact SICR I think for almost 300 at babies r us, but people complained a little about it..We could definitely wait till fall, but it just seems so hard for her to climb up and get in and out of this one....I guess we can have my hubby install, and then go somewhere to get it checked..Last one we got checked at a poilce dep but honestly I dont think he really knew what he was doing that well....

MommyShannon

Here is the thread about the new seats. http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=241539
You can scroll through until you see the pics. I think all the links don't work now since Amazon put them up before they were supposed to. Amazon had posted they'd be available in May. The Pinnacle is the new SICT. The Frontier 90 is the updated Frontier 85. I'd just wait for all the details on Monday before deciding.

Last edited:

Jayval

Re: High back booster with or without 5 point?

Thank you! I agree...I dont think she is mature enough to not wiggle around or lean forward alot...I am leaning toward the Britax Frontier 85
I just found this post..I knew I posted last week but couldnt find my posts..So you may see twoof these same posts from me on this topic :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC