Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

any new boosters coming in the next few months?

My son is 7 (8 in May) and has about an inch or so left in the harness of his FR85. He LOVES his seat. I could turn it into a booster when he outgrows it but I really want a dedicated booster. Besides, I have a friend who is recently divorced, has very little money and her ds is going to outgrow his BLVD soon. I plan to give the FR85 to her. The booster has to have lower anchors. Would like them to be rigid but I can give a little on that one. Cant be a turbo, orber (sp?), Monterey or britax booster. That limits my options at the moment. Was hoping that maybe a manufacture had one (or more) in the works and were going to release in a few months. Oh..and ds says he has to have a red seat. Not that I would pass up the perfect seat due to color. He would just have to build a bridge and get over it lol
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy
    Katy
    Full-time stepmom to DD1, 11, Incognito/5-stepping
    Mama to DD2, 5, True Fit, Complete Air, booster training
    DD3, 2.5, RA50, MyRide

Senior Community Member

Re: any new boosters coming in the next few months?

I think the new Recaro performance line may have LATCH for the boosters, I am not 100% on that though, or of the fabric options.

What about the Peg booster or one of the Kiddy boosters?
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

Quote Originally Posted by kater-tot82 View Post
    dont want a graco seat
    Beth CPST and special needs trained Mom to Bailey ...22 and driving! Skylar- 17yrs-and also driving! Molly-14 yrs -70+ pounds passing the 5 step test and Avery -10 yrs - 55+ pounds, riding in a redd performance sport booster.

Quote Originally Posted by Mommyto2 View Post
    I think the new Recaro performance line may have LATCH for the boosters, I am not 100% on that though, or of the fabric options.

What about the Peg booster or one of the Kiddy boosters?
    does the peg booster have lower anchors? The kiddy booster is probably what I would get if I had to purchase now....but I have a few months. Will wait and see I guess.....

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by bethng View Post
    does the peg booster have lower anchors? The kiddy booster is probably what I would get if I had to purchase now....but I have a few months. Will wait and see I guess.....
    Yes, it does.
    Former CPST and Mom to
    C-13 years old, B-11 years old
    A-8 years old riding in a Harmony Youth Booster or Graco TurboBooster

The Peg HBB is very nice, has flexible lower anchor attachments and it comes in a beautiful red color - but it's not that tall. I think it's about 19.5" to the belt guide in its tallest setting.

The Kiddy CFP is awesome and meets all your criteria (the Rumba is a nice cranberry red) but again, it's not super tall and it doesn't convert to a backless. I get about 20.5" to the bottom of the slanted belt guide on the tallest setting. Full review is here: http://carseatblog.com/18008/kiddy-c...e-new-booster/

The new Recaro Performance Booster should be coming soon but the flexible lower anchor attachments will not be adjustable so it's always going to be a fairly loose (but technically LATCHed) attachment. Not sure if that's a deal-killer for you.

HTH!

Me & the kids at Dorel

9. Thank You from:

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kecia View Post

The new Recaro Performance Booster should be coming soon but the flexible lower anchor attachments will not be adjustable so it's always going to be a fairly loose (but technically LATCHed) attachment. Not sure if that's a deal-killer for you.

HTH!
    Ah, like the First Years B570. I wonder if there's a good reason that the LATCH is loose? Remember the olden days when we justified no LATCH on boosters because we wanted the seat to ride *with* the child in a forward-moving-with-side-impact crash? Is it possible flexible really IS safer (Transport Canada didn't seem thrilled with rigid lower seats, like the Oto, where the dummy flies forward and down off the seat, allowing the lap belt to ride into the abdomen, IIRC, and of course there was booster tests when LATCH first came out where that happened and discouraged development of seats like that, IIRC again).
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Some of the Compass people (who were behind all the Compass boosters including the B570 Pathway) are now at Recaro so it's the same person(s) having the same ideology about latched boosters. They seem to be the only ones who either make a latchable booster or allow their combo seats to be latched in BPB mode, who don't want a firm connection between the booster and the vehicle. Since Graco, Evenflo, Britax, Diono, Clek, Kiddy and Peg have no issue with it, I'm not overly concerned.

Regarding TC testing a few years back, they only tested the Oto, IIRC. And that seat is discontinued.

I know consumer demand is really what's driving the latchable booster trend but I'm pretty sure CR manufacturers wouldn't make their products less safe just to make us happy. At least I hope not! Lol.

Me & the kids at Dorel

12. Thank You from:

Quote Originally Posted by Kecia View Post
    The Peg HBB is very nice, has flexible lower anchor attachments and it comes in a beautiful red color - but it's not that tall. I think it's about 19.5" to the belt guide in its tallest setting.

The Kiddy CFP is awesome and meets all your criteria (the Rumba is a nice cranberry red) but again, it's not super tall and it doesn't convert to a backless. I get about 20.5" to the bottom of the slanted belt guide on the tallest setting. Full review is here: http://carseatblog.com/18008/kiddy-c...e-new-booster/

No opinion on the loose lower anchors right now. I just don't want to have to be buckling the booster back in every time we get out of the car because lord knows ds wont remember....and if he does it will take forever and I am not very patient lol. My ds is in the 40-50% in weight and height so not having a taller booster probably wont be a problem. If it is then I will buy him a taller booster when the times comes! Nobody has to twist my arm to get me to buy a new seat! lol. And as far as turning into a no back booster....he has a Clek Olli waiting for him.....so I don't care if it turns into a backless. In fact, I probably would not use it in that mode.

I think I will wait for Recaro to come out with their booster and then make my decision. Then I have to break it to my son that his days in a harnessed seat are numbered. I suggested a booster the other day and he flipped out. "I LOVE MY SEAT! I DONT WANT A STUPID BOOSTER!"
    The boy has his opinions and a temper to match.

The Monterey has loose anchors. I have a kiddy and like it but Elizabeth was having trouble buckling it and I moved her to the Monterey.

Emily tech and mom to Jacob 16, Daniel 13, Benjamin 9, Elizabeth 6. Child care provider to 4 other kiddos.

Admin - CPS Technician joolsplus3's Avatar

Thanks for the input Kecia!
    Julie
    CPST since 2003, pu"R"ple since 2008, three kids growing too fast since 1997, 1999 and 2006

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good

not sure of budget, but what about the clek oobr? or not enough legroom?

Check out my new hair blog - Ruthie-dos

Quote Originally Posted by Kat_Momof3 View Post
    not sure of budget, but what about the clek oobr? or not enough legroom?
    Had one for dd#3. Didnt like it at all. Besides, I hate paul frank and I think thats my only red option. If I loved the seat I could overlook the obnoxious monkeys.....but I dont like the seat. ugly monkeys + seat dislike = a no go.

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar

If you want to play with a Kiddy CFP before you make your decision I have one. we could meet up.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by emandbri View Post
    The Monterey has loose anchors.
    I have my monterey latched in pretty tightly, it's really important for DS, he has low tone and needs a stable seat for getting in and out

Quote Originally Posted by xursusmaritimusx View Post
    If you want to play with a Kiddy CFP before you make your decision I have one. we could meet up.
    Really? That would be great! I have spring break starting April 1st. Are you available anytime that week? Where could we meet. I have a friend in Bothel.....give me a reason to go up north

CPS Technician xursusmaritimusx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bethng View Post

Really? That would be great! I have spring break starting April 1st. Are you available anytime that week? Where could we meet. I have a friend in Bothel.....give me a reason to go up north
    Pm'd you!