Vent No car seat!

MamaErin

Does anyone know who you call to report things like kids not buckled in properly? Is there a safekids number or just the local police? I didn't want to dial 911, or should I have?

My husband and I were driving to the store yesterday and I see this car in front of us at the red light and it looked like the one guy in the back had 2 heads at 1st and I kept wondering if he had a dog in his lap or something because I could see the shadow of a second head when he moved. We turn and end up next to them after the light changes.....its a KID...no more than 3 years old...sitting in a teenagers lap in the back seat!!

2 teenage girls in the front, a teenage boy in the middle back seat, an infant seat (thank goodness the baby was in a seat, though I'm not sure it was in right) and then a little boy sitting on the guys lap! Seriously, there was an extra seat next to the guy, would it have been so hard to put the kid a car seat in the extra seat?! Or at least put him in the extra seat!? I know that still wouldn't have been safe but on someone's lap without even a seat belt!!

I wanted so bad to call on them because we could easily get their plate number but I didn't even know who to call, I don't know the non-emergency number for my police department and wasn't sure if it warranted a 911 call... even though technically I consider endangering a child's life to be an emergency.

ADS

Stelvis

A tiny kid completely unrestrained in a moving vehicle is a 911 call IMO. That's an immediate danger.

I would obviously not call 911 for, like, misuse of a car seat. But if you are so irresponsible that you just do not care to restrain a toddler in any way in a moving vehicle, then yes that's an emergency.

Baylor

I have the non regency number in my phone for the local police where I drive that is who I call. It goes to dispatcher for the county.

auto correct hates me

Raegansmom4

I once asked a local policeman this question at a CPST renewal course once. He said to go ahead and call 911 - you are reporting someone breaking a law after all.

~*Jen*~

I once asked a local policeman this question at a CPST renewal course once. He said to go ahead and call 911 - you are reporting someone breaking a law after all.

Thanks for sharing. I once saw the woman next to me let two little kids (I think four and five) climb into the back of a station wagon. I called the police but it took forever to find the non-emergency line on my phone. I was telling someone else about it and was told that the police probably ignored it and/or laughed at me. :thumbsdown:

MamaErin

Well it's nice to know I'm not the only one that would have called 911. I thought about it but I didn't want the dispatcher or anyone being snotty that I was using the emergency line for what they probably didn't consider an emergency.

It's nice to know an officer actually said to do that! I will definitely try to find the non-emergency number and store it in my phone though at least for my town and if I'm out of town I guess 911 works.

It just got to me too because it had me wondering in a car full of teenagers...were they teen parents or was it like a teen sibling or babysitter....I would have lost it if it was my babysitter or older child driving my kid around on their lap!

krasota

I asked an officer in my town, too. He told me to call 911 when I see it, not the non-emergency line.

But if you want to know what your local PD prefers, call the non-emergency line and ask. :cool:

Malka

I've called 911 for a unrestrained toddler. I gave them the license plate number and they said they'd send someone out to check on it. I really do hope they did and didn't hang up and laugh at me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC