Combo seat advice - shop for both kids, or just one?

maramarrie

DS just turned FF and just turned 4. He is barely 40" and 35# (40th percentile for both). DD is a few months over 2 years, 35" and 25# (maybe 40th and 15th percentiles, respectively). She is ERF in a Boulevard 70 G3.

I'm shopping combo seats (Recaro Pro/Performance Sport) for DS and had been planning to just make it his seat permanently, through seat-belt booster age. Is there any reason I should consider passing this seat to her when she turns FF and getting him something else? (will he need something else?)

I would imagine DD can RF at least 2 more years. By then DS will be 6. I'm not sure if he will still be harnessed by then or if he will have outgrown the harness. If he hasn't outgrown the harness, it's still safer to keep him in it, right? If that's the case, I would just buy DD her own combo seat when the time comes? It's not a cost issue at the moment, just wanting some info before letting DS make a final decision on color. :p

ADS

henrietta

DS just turned FF and just turned 4. He is barely 40" and 35# (40th percentile for both). DD is a few months over 2 years, 35" and 25# (maybe 40th and 15th percentiles, respectively). She is ERF in a Boulevard 70 G3.

I'm shopping combo seats (Recaro Pro/Performance Sport) for DS and had been planning to just make it his seat permanently, through seat-belt booster age. Is there any reason I should consider passing this seat to her when she turns FF and getting him something else? (will he need something else?)

I would imagine DD can RF at least 2 more years. By then DS will be 6. I'm not sure if he will still be harnessed by then or if he will have outgrown the harness. If he hasn't outgrown the harness, it's still safer to keep him in it, right? If that's the case, I would just buy DD her own combo seat when the time comes? It's not a cost issue at the moment, just wanting some info before letting DS make a final decision on color. :p

My thoughts....they both still fit in the convertible seats they have, right? You don't have to switch to a combo seat just b/c your child is FF'ing now. It's fine to keep using the convertible forward facing, until it's either outgrown or expired. You've got a few years yet on all your seats in your siggy, if you don't want to make another purchase just yet. NHSTA recommends that kids stay in their harnessed seat until age 7 or it's outgrown. But we don't have any proof that staying harnessed at age 6 and at least 40 lbs is any safer than being in a belt positioning booster seat. It's possible that being one way or the other would be safer in some crashes, but overall, at that point...it's mainly about whether he sits properly in a booster or not. Maturity matters.

I *would* consider passing the combo seat down when your daughter outgrows her convertibles forward facing...AND your son is ready for a booster. Many dedicated high-back booster seats are less cumbersome and easier to use than a combo seat that's being used as a booster.

If you really don't like the neutral or boyish cover for your dd later, you can always swap or buy a new cover.

maramarrie

My thoughts....they both still fit in the convertible seats they have, right? You don't have to switch to a combo seat just b/c your child is FF'ing now. It's fine to keep using the convertible forward facing, until it's either outgrown or expired. You've got a few years yet on all your seats in your siggy, if you don't want to make another purchase just yet. NHSTA recommends that kids stay in their harnessed seat until age 7 or it's outgrown. But we don't have any proof that staying harnessed at age 6 and at least 40 lbs is any safer than being in a belt positioning booster seat. It's possible that being one way or the other would be safer in some crashes, but overall, at that point...it's mainly about whether he sits properly in a booster or not. Maturity matters.

I *would* consider passing the combo seat down when your daughter outgrows her convertibles forward facing...AND your son is ready for a booster. Many dedicated high-back booster seats are less cumbersome and easier to use than a combo seat that's being used as a booster.

If you really don't like the neutral or boyish cover for your dd later, you can always swap or buy a new cover.

Thanks, The reason we are replacing his Marathon is because we've had issues with the harness pretty much since purchase. I had the adjuster strap replaced and then we waited to see if it was any better once we started FF. The ratcheting adjuster gets wedged/stuck in the raised position and allows the straps to loosen...unless every person who buckles him in remembers to push the adjuster down into place after we tighten the strap. We have come up with a solution (not adjusting the harness at all..just leaving it tight all the time and buckling him in with a little extra effort), but the harness problem still exists. He's also having trouble finding something to do with his legs. He likes to have them up like he did RF, but the Britax just doesn't have much seat space for him to hold his legs up (crossed legs). I will probably just let him get what he wants from among a few choices I present him and then think about passing it to DD down the road if the timing is right. It's not a big deal anyhow since she'd probably love to have whatever color her big brother likes...lol. I expect the Boulevard will last a long time, so she may be able to use that (RF and FF) long enough to get him in a dedicated booster, as you suggested.

henrietta

Ah....that makes sense. :)

I would call Britax again about that strap and complain. That's not acceptable, and it shouldn't have been a problem. :) You're missing out on 2 yrs or so of the seat's life. They should have done something to actually resolve that for you from the beginning.

My boys weren't as comfy in their Britax forward facing, either, so I understand. Most kids don't seem bothered, but it doesn't have a lot of leg support compared to some of the other seats out there.

My 4.5 yr (and his older brother, who's 7) both thought that the Britax Frontier was comfortable and his Evenflo Secure Kid 300 is comfy. Haven't gotten a chance to try out the Recaro, but it gets great reviews for comfort. I love the covers, too!

maramarrie

Thanks, When I did contact Britax they couldn't give me a reason that it should be doing that and just suggested to replace the adjuster strap. It helped minimally but then shortly started doing the same thing again.

I would love to still go with Britax and try the Frontier since we've loved 3 out of 4 of our Britax seats. Unfortunately the Frontier doesn't fit where I need it (too wide). I haven't tested the SecureKid or had a chance to look at it, but the Recaro does fit where I need it. I know that a Maestro and Nautilus won't work because of the "feet" support structures on the base of it...I need it on the center multi-function seat 2nd row of the newest Odyssey. The carseatblog review said the feet on those child seats slip over the edges of the narrow vehicle seat so it won't work. The Frontier works in that regard, but is too wide to allow the captain's chair to slide for 3rd row access. I haven't looked at a Securekid to see if it has the same feet as the Maestro and the Graco Nauti. I'm sure there are a few more seats out there that may work in our situation anyhow...I've just been focused on the Recaro after much of my search led to dead ends until I found this one. :) Hopefully it works out great. I just hope he finds it roomy enough to get comfy (an inch or two should go a long way for a body that small). I'll be happy to get a smoother harness adjustment, anyhow. I hate that our Marathon has been a thorn in my side since we bought it. I didn't even realize there was a "problem" (or what the problem was) until last year...after we were using it almost 2 years and figured the harness was just hard to pull/loosen. Oh well. I still think our other Britax seats are great.

Stelvis

I would call Britax again. They ought to make that right for you. Usually they go above and beyond. They might give you credit towards a Frontier, possibly.

Stelvis

Except she said she can't use a Frontier where she needs it to go :confused:

Yeah, but if she has no use at all for a new convertible, maybe they would give her a good part of a Frontier, which she could use as a backup/secondary vehicle seat. Still better than a broken convertible and no replacement.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC