Chicco keyfit30

carolyn_mtl

A friend of mine was asking my opinion on what convertible carseat she should buy for her daughter. She was worried that baby was outgrowing her bucket seat by height, and mention that she was currently in the keyfit30. I questioned her about it, because I am pretty sure that isn't available in Canada. She told me she bought it in the states (I later explained how that was illegal...), but that she's seen the keyfit30 in a Canadian store. Am I wrong or is it actually available here now?

ADS

canadiangie

No, the KF30 is not available in Canada. You are correct in your thinking.

What is a available here now is the Peg Perego 30. It was previously here as a 22 pound seat. Perhaps your friend is getting the KeyFit 30 mixed up.

carolyn_mtl

I knew it! She actually sent me a link to a Canadian retailer selling the keyfit30. I told her they must have just printed the American info, but she claims to have seen it in their store aswell. Do we notify the retailer that they are selling an illegal seat?
Http://pinkiblue.com/shop/car-seats/infant/chicco-keyfit30-30-fuego-2

I clicked on the keyfit30, and the Site would have allowed purchase from and shipping to a Canadian address. Also, my friend apparently saw it at their store in Montreal.

canadiangie

A few possibilities..

It's a copy/paste job from the US Chicco site. Stuff like that is somewhat common on Canadian sites.

Or they are importing 30's and selling them illegally.

Or they are scamming people and advertising the 30 but shipping people the 22.

Or, I suppose Chicco may have got the 30 approved for use here suddenly, and not a single one of us have heard the news.

carolyn_mtl

That's what I was thinking too. But she is 100% certain they had the 30 in store today... So, what happens? Do I call the store tomorrow and nicely inform them they are selling illegal seats? Are there any fines for this from TC?

canadiangie

That's what I was thinking too. But she is 100% certain they had the 30 in store today... So, what happens? Do I call the store tomorrow and nicely inform them they are selling illegal seats? Are there any fines for this from TC?

Yup, call and clarify what they are selling. The 30 has a little oval by baby's feet that says "KeyFit 30". Also, if they are importing US seats it will have Spanish and English on the airbag warning label rather than English and French. And of course US seats won't have the CMVSS National Safety Mark sticker.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor

The picture is of a Canadian seat. The page link says keyfit 30, and the description mentions Keyfit 30 at one point, but the description lists the weight range as 4-22lbs.

I think it's a very poor description that has a mix of copy & paste from the manufacturer with the correction for Canadian weight limits - possibly including inaccurate point-of-sale information at store level, but a Canadian seat.

kmw

It's not fixed yet... the pic listing is fine but if you click on specifications, it's still stating a 30lb limit. Still states something about the KeyFit 30s base in the features section too. And, the browser description still lists it as a 30...

hematite153

The bucket seat that my DS used was a Chicco KeyFit bought in Canada, with appropriate Canadian stickers a 22 lb weight limit, a manual written in English and French, etc.

BUT, the box that it came in (sealed, also printed in English and French) said Chicco KeyFit30 on it and the user manual was titled Chicco KeyFit/KeyFit30.

We switched to a convertible seat when my DS was about 19-20 lbs, but, the whole thing made me wonder if Chicco is selling the same seat in Canada with a 22 lb limit and in the US with a 30 lb limit.

It's also possible that there was a short period of time when they goofed with the printing for their boxes and manuals.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The bucket seat that my DS used was a Chicco KeyFit bought in Canada, with appropriate Canadian stickers a 22 lb weight limit, a manual written in English and French, etc.

BUT, the box that it came in (sealed, also printed in English and French) said Chicco KeyFit30 on it and the user manual was titled Chicco KeyFit/KeyFit30.

We switched to a convertible seat when my DS was about 19-20 lbs, but, the whole thing made me wonder if Chicco is selling the same seat in Canada with a 22 lb limit and in the US with a 30 lb limit.

It's also possible that there was a short period of time when they goofed with the printing for their boxes and manuals.

How long ago did you buy the seat? That's actually an issue that if it was more than a single instance is cause for a consumer info notice on the manual at the very least. Was the 22lb weight limit clear throughout the manual?

Eldon00

CPS Technician
The KeyFit 30 is now available in Canada. It has passed all regulations. The pictures maybe from USA but the stock at store level would be Canadian Compliant product showing the 213, 213.1 on the NSM. When in doubt please remember to look for the NSM and the ratings on it. 213.1 is for infant to 22lbs, 213 is for a child above 22lbs.

KF30 is available as stand alone infant carrier in Canada and as Travel systems with the strollers.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC