Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

WWYD 12yo middle seat 3rd row T&C...

... Seat belt against her neck... I feel VERY incomfortable with that!! This can't be safe, right? She is 57" tall 78#, torso 28". She is in a harmony literider since she is not 5-stepping on that 3rd row (seats are very slopped back there) I am thinking about putting her in a HBB to guide that weird belt against her shoulder. I really would like to keep her in that 3rd row in the middle. She is in between 2 RFing CCO's. WWYD?

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

Mag
    DD1 -12yo 58" 85lbs 5-stepping in Prius, Harmony Literider in NV
    DD2 - 11yo 52" 62lbs Harmony Literider in NV or TBB in Prius
    DD3 - 5yo 42" 37lbs harnessed in Foonf or Orbit Baby Toddler in Prius
    DD4-3yrs 37" 28lbs ERF in Foonf
    DD5-3yrs 37" 28lbs ERF in Foonf

All in Nissan NV Passenger

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: WWYD 12yo middle seat 3rd row T&C...

Have you tried the shoulder belt guide on the booster? I had to use it when my oldest was about that size. *This* close to 5-stepping, needed the LBB for lap belt positioning, but still needed the shoulder belt guide to position the shoulder belt.
    DS1: 11/1999 5' 10" 130# (yikes! Bigger than his parents ) Selt-belt passenger
    DS2: 5/2003 54" 70# Diono Monterey / Harmony LiteRider
    DS3: 12/2009 39" 36# RF Diono R120 / FF Britax RA55

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The belt against her neck is only dangerous if it bothers her into putting the shoulder belt under her arm or behind her back. From a crash safety standpoint it is perfectly safe.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Sounds like you have a good plan working. What are her thoughts? I would listen to her about low back or high back since she is close to passing.
    My dd2 is twelve but 62 inches, 120+ pounds

Quote Originally Posted by Mamasboys View Post
    Have you tried the shoulder belt guide on the booster? I had to use it when my oldest was about that size. *This* close to 5-stepping, needed the LBB for lap belt positioning, but still needed the shoulder belt guide to position the shoulder belt.
    Those always seem to be such a pain to use... But I can definitely try! I forgot about it... Thanks for reminding me!

Quote Originally Posted by safeinthecar View Post
    The belt against her neck is only dangerous if it bothers her into putting the shoulder belt under her arm or behind her back. From a crash safety standpoint it is perfectly safe.
    She doesn't move it but I'm just worried that in an accident the belt would cut her throat...

Quote Originally Posted by allhiskids View Post
    Sounds like you have a good plan working. What are her thoughts? I would listen to her about low back or high back since she is close to passing.
    My dd2 is twelve but 62 inches, 120+ pounds
    She actually would like a HBB because she thinks it'll be more comfortable... I'm looking at a Cruiser fix because she could have it until she reaches 63" and it's narrow but we'll see since it doesn't seem to be a safety issue.