SUV and Car Seat Question

12manydiapers

Hi,
I am looking for any recommendations for crossover SUV or regular SUVs that can accomodate 3 boosters and an infant car seat. It would have to accomodate 4 boosters at some point, but just looking for any suggestions. Most of what I am seeing can only accomodate 3 total - 2 in a middle bench or captains chairs and one in the third row. I

Thank you in advance.

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I think most midsize SUVs with a third row of seating should be able to handle two boosters and two harnessed child restraints (or 3 boosters + 1 harness or 4 boosters). We have reviews of a number of these at www.carseatblog.com . The problem with any these will be fitting 2 adults, 4 kids AND a full load of gear/luggage for a trip. To do that, a minivan is a much better option:)

12manydiapers

Thank you all for your replies!

i was just reading about the Ford Flex. Can you attach 2 boosters in the back? Also, is there enough room for an adult to get back to the third row to strap those kids in?

I don't have to worry about any adults ever sitting back there, it's really just for the kids.

Thank you!

bubbaray

Basing it on the prior Flex (new model in 2013), yes, two boosters fit in the 3rd row and there is room for an adult to adjust the passengers if the second row passenger outboard seat back is tumbled. The second row is very wide so you should be able to do 2 side by side seats there or you could put a booster (easy to move) 2nd row passenger to give easy access to the third row

hkllgg

Thanks again! I just looked at the Ford Flex specs online here:

http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/2013_Ford_Flex_J1/NGBS/Nameplate_SpecificationLiteDoc/Nameplate_SpecificationLiteDoc_8801F25B-7BDB-44EB-60D3-1E9F60D31E9F.pdf

Under the Safety section, it does say it's equipped with LATCH and tethers for just 3 children :(

I'm thinking that by the time you have all of them forward facing, at least one of them will be in an actual booster seat (not harnessed) where you would only need 3 teathers. I just don't see where you would need 4 seats teathered.

Melanie

Thanks again! I just looked at the Ford Flex specs online here:

http://assets.forddirect.fordvehicl...eDoc_8801F25B-7BDB-44EB-60D3-1E9F60D31E9F.pdf

Under the Safety section, it does say it's equipped with LATCH and tethers for just 3 children :(

If the 2nd row is the bench seat, it will also have a top tether for middle spot, so then 4 top tethers so equipped for 4 FF seats.

It's not very tall, so easy to buckle RFers or FFers in the third row. I'm 5'2" and have no problem.

I love mine. I've had lots of combos of car seat kids and adults and all car seats in the back. The only issue is RF seat doesn't work in the middle of the 2nd row bench. The plastic hinges hit the base of the seat. Everything else has installed easily.

12manydiapers

Thank you everyone!

Melanie, do you have 3 in the middle 3? That's what I would have to do I think but how do you get to the third row? is there enough room to get back there when the whole bench is being used? (Unlike captains chairs where there is room to get through). Just curious.
Thanks!

bubbaray

Your OP said three boosters and an infant seat. You don't new TTs or Latch for boosters so the Flex can accommodate those seats.

emntheboys

Honda Pilot is another good option. It has seating for 8, top tethers and lap/ shoulder belts in all positions, and head rests in all positions.

mommydev

I also have a Flex with a bench seat. If I have 3 installed seats and need to have someone in the back row, I stow one side and have them climb in the back.

I currently have a RF Radian, RF coccoro, and a Nautilus. The CCO is the only RF seat I've gotten a good install in the middle. It curves just right so it's not up against the plastic things. I've also done a key fit with a FF Radian on the larger part of the bench.

I love mine and am happy to answer any other questions if you need!

12manydiapers

Please excuse my ignorance! I'm still figuring all this out!
When you are referring to "boosters" not needing to be harnessed, are you referring to the high-back boosters? That's what I have and thought they had to be but maybe I am wrong?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Please excuse my ignorance! I'm still figuring all this out!
When you are referring to "boosters" not needing to be harnessed, are you referring to the high-back boosters? That's what I have and thought they had to be but maybe I am wrong?

Yes, "booster" normally refers to a high-back or backless booster that is used mainly to position the child higher and provide better routing for the vehicle lap and shoulder belts. The child uses the seatbelt just as an adult would, with the addition of the booster for positioning. These are generally for children 4 years, 40 pounds and up.

The confusion is that "combination" carseats can also be called "harnessed boosters", "combination boosters" or "combo boosters" and such. These are installed like a conventional carseat initially and used with an internal 5-point harness. Later, they convert to be used as a backless or high back booster by removing the internal harness. These are used for kids 2 years and up.

I hope that helps!

Melanie

Thank you everyone!

Melanie, do you have 3 in the middle 3? That's what I would have to do I think but how do you get to the third row? is there enough room to get back there when the whole bench is being used? (Unlike captains chairs where there is room to get through). Just curious.
Thanks!

Just now seeing this...not my everyday set up, but frequently I do have three across the second row. I really wanted that so I could put my three kids in one row and put the rear seats down for cargo on long trips.

The second row doesn't slide or anything to get to the third row.

You can load the third row through the hatch. If one kid in the third row, put the other third row seat flat/down and they can climb in. If you have everything full, the third row seats can flip down where the back part of the seat is parallel with the ground and the seat is verticle. My kids call this rocket ship and love it. It can be done with a latched FF seat or a booster.

Or, I put a booster in the flip spot in the second row. It's easy to take out or scoot onto the middle second row seat. Then just flip the second row seat.

Also, not my favorite, but kids can climb over the second row into the third.

For three kids, I've also put two in the third row and 1 in the second and left the second row seat back flipped down.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC