Infant bucket for *possible* preemie

MotoMommaNH

OK Ladies, I need some help with tact and how to bring this topic up to a newly expecting mom and HER mother.

My daycare provider is an in-home situation. Her 21yo daughter is expecting May 4th and for whatever reason (without me prying too much) they are only "hoping" that she goes that long. It's a strong likelihood she will have a preemie and go early. She's told me that at her doc appt's she's measuring small. Her daughter is a part time employee, if you will, and helps on busy days with taking care the kids; my 2.5yo DS LOVES her!

We are invited to her shower in a couple weeks so I'm checking out her registry. I noticed she had registered for the First Years Via I470 infant seat. Having some experience with preemies in the family (my SIL had a 32-weeker) I really feel like this seat is NOT going to work if her son comes early. Matter of fact, the hospital he will likely be born at insists on a 4lb minimum for preemies and I know this from my SIL's DD. She had purchased a Baby Trend flexloc and couldn't use it.:thumbsdown: Plus it was a POS.

Her economic situation is pretty dire from what I understand and this is not a 'planned' pregnancy. She's getting a bunch of help from her mom (said daycare provider). Any kind of advice given would be directly to her mother if it came from me as that's how we all communicate; either verbally or via e-mail.
I'm not going to be spending that kind of money for a gift for her but I still feel like I could give her some advice on changing the seat she registered for. Is that appropriate? How would you handle it?

TIA!!

ADS

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I would just let her know that not all infant carseats fit small or preemie babies and if she thinks there is a chance that she will go early that she should register for a seat that is rated down to 4 lbs. And you can send her this link:

http://carseatblog.com/9813/recomme...ies-multiples-carseatblogs-list-of-best-bets/

I would also tell her that the Via I470 is discontinued and it's likely that replacement parts will not be available in the future if she needs them.

HTH!

MotoMommaNH

I would also tell her that the Via I470 is discontinued and it's likely that replacement parts will not be available in the future if she needs them.

HTH!

that part helps IMMENSELY! I was sort of planning on sending her the link and hoping it didn't seem like prying too much...but if I tell her the seat is discontinued etc that would certainly help make her decision! thanks!

MotoMommaNH

yay for a success story!! I went to pick up DS from daycare today and her daughter excitedly showed me her brand new Chicco Keyfit 30 in Midori! It was a beautiful seat! I told her how much I really like them and the mom said she was excited about the deal she got online and that she made sure it rated to 4lbs and that it got good Consumer Reports ratings. I didn't touch the ratings thing but knowing that it will be a GREAT seat for a small babe I just felt so good that I could help them out!! She's also going to have the hospital CPST check it out once installed.
thanks for all the advice and info here! :love:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC