Question Booster for smaller kid

Sunshine112

NOT that I want to do this, but a friend has a 3 year old who is about 38" and 36lbs probably. She INSISTS that he will be in a booster (he's currently in something that was handed down and I think expired, despite my best efforts to "let them borrow" a Maestro I have. She refuses to get him a new seat unless its a HBB (well, she thinks a backless is good and I finally talked her out of that). I'm so pissed at her that I really can't even think, but I do want to at least make sure she is going to get a HBB that will be a good choice and fit him.
Any suggestions on which one she should get?

ADS

amelia222

Just out out of curiosity I tried my dd in a high back turbo when she was newly 3, 30lbs, 37" and it fit her. It was actually kind of scary how well she fit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Sunshine112

Just out out of curiosity I tried my dd in a high back turbo when she was newly 3, 30lbs, 37" and it fit her. It was actually kind of scary how well she fit.

Sent from my iPod touch using Car-Seat.Org

Thank you! I was sort of leaning toward that as my suggestion, but wasn't sure if there was something that would work better. My dd is also 3 so I guess I could take her tomorrow and try a few. I have no idea where to even start with booster recommendations though lol!

Brigala

CPST Instructor
The Turbo provides good fit for kids in the under-40-lb range.

I wouldn't be comfortable at all using one for MY kid that size, and especially at that age. But the odds are at least the belt fit will be good and hopefully they won't get into any accidents (especially until the child is a little bigger/older).

I'd be frustrated, too. :/

sb518

I just tried my 31lb 39" 3 year old in a backless turbo (just to see the fit out of curiosity) she fit surprisingly well. I imagine the child would fit well in a highback turbo as the low backs have a starting weight of 40lbs.

MommyShannon

I'd much rather buckle a harness than a booster. I really don't get what is easier about having a 3 year old in a booster. Even from a non-safety aspect, I much prefer a 3 year old being restrained more so they can't mess with as much stuff. Hopefully, she will realize it is more convenient to harness then booster. Then again, if she doesn't care, it might not get installed right or tightened right. So frustrating.

Mamasboys

NOT that I want to do this, but a friend has a 3 year old who is about 38" and 36lbs probably. She INSISTS that he will be in a booster (he's currently in something that was handed down and I think expired, despite my best efforts to "let them borrow" a Maestro I have. She refuses to get him a new seat unless its a HBB (well, she thinks a backless is good and I finally talked her out of that). I'm so pissed at her that I really can't even think, but I do want to at least make sure she is going to get a HBB that will be a good choice and fit him.
Any suggestions on which one she should get?

Hmm, depending on what state she's in, it could be actually *illegal* to booster her 3 yr old. Wisconsin law is minimum 4 yr *and* 40 lbs for belt positioning booster. What state is she in (if you don't mind)?

And I know the sickening, angry feeling. My 3yo has the same stats (when clothed), and I can't even imagine FFing him yet, let alone a booster :eek:.

Sunshine112

I really don't think she would use the harness correctly or leave the seat installed after I put it in. The seat he is in now is never buckled very well :(. He is always buckled well in my car so it's not like he doesn't like it or something, it's just her being dumb and lazy.
I'm really glad to hear that the turbo should fit him well. Maybe I will insist that she let ME booster train him so at least he will know e needs to control himself and stay put.

Sunshine112

Hmm, depending on what state she's in, it could be actually *illegal* to booster her 3 yr old. Wisconsin law is minimum 4 yr *and* 40 lbs for belt positioning booster. What state is she in (if you don't mind)?

And I know the sickening, angry feeling. My 3yo has the same stats (when clothed), and I can't even imagine FFing him yet, let alone a booster :eek:.

We are in KS, so it's technically legal.

mevs mom

I'm not sure how bad her use is but we have lots of misuse around here... Belly clips, loose straps enough that I could crawl through them, arms not in harness straps, seats barely installed with non locked seat belts. OoooO

I'm not sure what would be worse a horribly used not installed properly harnessed seat or a booster seat...

creideamh

It is NOT legal for a 3 year old to be in a booster here. The law is age 4, though no minimum weight. Unfortunately, lots of people do it anyway, so if she's going to do it, I think a Turbo is a good suggestion.

Sunshine112

I'm so glad to know that the minimum legal age is 4!!!!!! Maybe that will give me some leverage with her. I just do not understand why some people think its ok to completely ignore all the hard facts and evidence of safety concerning their child :(. Thanks for all your help!

Mamasboys

People are lazy.

Personally I find a bunch of kids "trapped" in 5points to be easier. They can't escape so easily, and more than once I have carried a 3 or 4 year old asleep into the house in those 5 points.

:love: That's why I loved my Scenera (when I had little enough kids--they're getting so big now :eek:). It's light enough (and easy and uncomplicated) that I've done that on more than one occasion when my guys were 2-3yr olds.

creideamh

"Use of booster seats when" refers to 4-7. At least, that's how all the KHP/cops/judges I work with interpret it...maybe they're all wrong, lol. But people who insist on boostering 2 & 3 year olds don't seem to respond to "it's the law" anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC