HBB question

U

Unregistered

My dc shoulders are even with the top slots on the Britax Frontier 85. I am looking for a HBB so I can pass the seat on to a younger kid. Which HBB will last a child the longest, height wise? I was looking on line for info and someone mentioned that the Frontier 85 in booster mode has the highest belt guide height which is essentially what determines if a child outgrows a booster. I was puzzled since the shell height on the Frontier 85, as listed on the spreadsheet doc, is much lower then that of most of the dedicated boosters, like the Britax Parkway SGL. So which would a child outgrow first as a HBB the Frontier 85 or a dedicated booster like the Parkway?

ADS

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi. The top harness slot measures around 19.5", but the shoulder belt guide when the Frontier is used in booster mode measures 23.5": http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=151086. So it is the tallest belt positioning booster on the market.

Probably the next highest booster is the Cosco Pronto, but if you want to stick with Britax quality, then the Parkway is very tall as is the Diono Monterey. The Kiddy Cruiserfix Pro is another one that's fairly tall and it has rigid LATCH for installation.

MommyShannon

The FR85 harness is 19.5-20". The Parkway SG top belt guide is 21.5". The Cosco Pronto is an inch taller but requires vehicle head rest support. Really a child who is even with the top slot has almost outgrown all boosters.

U

Unregistered

So the Frontier 85 has the highest belt guide of all seats that have a "booster mode." Got that! But why is the shell SO much shorter than that of most of the HB dedicated boosters? Do most children outgrow this seat by their ears reaching the top of the shell or by the shoulder belt guide not at/above shoulder? In other words, the dedicated boosters that have much higher shells but much lower belt guide height is that just overkill in shell height or is the Frontier 85's shell very low and most children outgrow the seat by their ears going above shell before the belt guide is used to its maximum ability?

I am open to any recommendations for boosters, does not have to be Britax.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
My daughter outgrew the Frontier 85 in harness mode but has plenty of room to grow in the Safety 1st BoostAir Protect (very similar to the Pronto but with nicer head support and side impact protection.) It positions the belt beautifully, it's comfortable and I've been very happy with it.

Here are some pictures for comparison of how much room she had to grow in the BoostAir Protect when she was about 1/4" from the top slots of the Frontier:

Space she had to grow in the Frontier 85 (which, in this position, lasted until her torso measured a full 20.5"):
381974_10151309812939354_252020785_n.jpg

Room left to grow in the BoostAir Protect at highest setting the same day:

425569_10151309813304354_1157807690_n.jpg

MommyShannon

So the Frontier 85 has the highest belt guide of all seats that have a "booster mode." Got that! But why is the shell SO much shorter than that of most of the HB dedicated boosters? Do most children outgrow this seat by their ears reaching the top of the shell or by the shoulder belt guide not at/above shoulder? In other words, the dedicated boosters that have much higher shells but much lower belt guide height is that just overkill in shell height or is the Frontier 85's shell very low and most children outgrow the seat by their ears going above shell before the belt guide is used to its maximum ability?

I am open to any recommendations for boosters, does not have to be Britax.

There is a screw you remove on the back to keep moving the headrest and belt guide up in booster mode.
ETA: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvkCbdPlRFw&sns=em"]BRITAX FRONTIER 85 SICT: Converting from Harness Mode to Booster Mode - YouTube[/ame]

MommyShannon

Do you have moveable headrests where the booster will go? The Pronto and Boost Air require vehicle headrest support to at least the middle of the child's head (tops of ears is normally the guide). Not all boosters will sit in the vehicle right with the headrest on so it can be tricky finding one that fits.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC