Small Adult Safety

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Anyone have any helpful info/advice/ideas for me?
I'm 5'4", 100# & I feel like I'm swimming the seat when I drive my Blazer -- because the only way I can reach the pedals without the steering wheel being too close is by sitting sort of twisted so that my left foot is a lot closer to the seat or even up on the seat for comfort ... sometimes I shift in the seat with gravity as I drive & it's just really annoying. I wasn't the person driving all the time when it was bought & now I won't be able to trade it in for at least a year or two+ I've thought of using a booster seat but would that help? The belt isn't a big bother against my neck; the seat is too wide for me -- I know the crash test results are worse for the driver seat & maybe I'm just a worrier, but if there's some way to allow me to sit more safely AND comfortably, why not try it :confused:
Thanks....

Last edited:
ADS

jhelperin

You shouldn't sit with the belt across your neck -- you're asking for big trouble in a crash.
Call the manufacturer (not the dealer per se) and if pedal extenders can be installed. If not, perhaps it can be done in the aftermarket. If the reason you can't trade in your car is because you're on a lease, try one of the online lease swapping sites -- it sounds like the car you're in just isn't meant for you.

U

Unregistered

Pedal extenders. My sister had them on her tricycle when she was little and I think they also make them for cars.

I have the same problem with my seat belt. I'm 5' 3" in a Subaru Outback wagon and no matter how I raise or lower the belt on the side beam, it still cuts across my neck and toward my right armpit. Really annoying, not to mention unsafe. I usually wind up driving with my right hand and hold the belt down with my left, so it's off my neck and down the middle of my chest.

Kristin

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Thanks.... Yes the car just is not for me {LOL} It was my ex's choice to buy it a few years ago & he did the driving then since I used to work close enough to walk to work, but now it's just me & I live about a half hour's drive from work. It's not so much the belt being across my neck, though ~ I'm tall enough, just so skinny that the seat is "swimming" on me & we live in a very very very hilly/curvy area so with the leather seats I slip slide all over the place even though I drive slower than others around me @@ I've tried seat covers, but they don't help. Pedal extenders ~ never heard of them! Will have to look/ask around :D

U

Unregistered

Ooh, along the grippy shelf-liner theme, jodphurs (sp?) would do the trick and look pretty snazzy on, too!

Or try putting surf wax on the leather seat. If it helps surfers stick to their boards, it'd probably be amazing for your hiney.

(I don't know you well enough to joke, sorry if that offends.)

Kristin

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL! Not a problem ... and a creative idea I'd have never thought of. Although, being in way upstate NY during the winter months I doubt I'll be able to find any around here :p Any websites???

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Unregistered said:
Ooh, along the grippy shelf-liner theme, jodphurs (sp?) would do the trick and look pretty snazzy on, too!

Or try putting surf wax on the leather seat. If it helps surfers stick to their boards, it'd probably be amazing for your hiney.

(I don't know you well enough to joke, sorry if that offends.)

Kristin

Somewhat off topic-

I find it amusing how in America that many people are shocked and offended by even the mildest sexual content, even when used jokingly. Many of the same people have no issue letting their kids watch the evening news, or COPS or various other PG-13 or R-rated for violence program or movie...

In various other countries, it's often just the opposite. Sex is accepted, violence is not... Their crime rates are often much lower, too. Go figure. I wonder what they are doing instead of shooting each other!

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
YEP!

& for anyone who'd like to see some scientific info on the subject you can visit http://www.violence.de :rolleyes:

OK, back to car safety.... Um, well, I figure I have 10 more months to go of paying off as much extra as I can till I'm able to trade my vehicle in for a Sienna *SIGH*

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And to keep hijacking your thread...
I don't usually watch network tv at night, but sometimes I'll see someone shooting a gun and killing someone else, and be amazed that they show that on TV!
Then I go back to my safe little world of Nova, Frontline, and the History Channel :D

InTheWoods

*Papooses*, here's a link to a site that sells sex wax:
http://www.ronjons.com/ProductList.aspx?Category=Wax & Traction&MenuGroup=5&SelectedItem=44&Page=1

And, another idea to keep your hiney from sliding around in that leather seat: self-adhesive sticks-ons you put in your tub. You know those little pebble-textured rubber things you stick on the bottom of your tub or shower so you don't slip? They'd probably work, too. You could even cut out cute little shapes or make letters and spell out something like "A$$ GOES HERE". (!)

*Robert*, thanks for the seat belt extender idea. Had no idea there was such a product. Will ask dealer.

*Darren*, my Dad and my Grandma have/had flat-out raucous, no-holds-barred senses of humor. (Norwegian, guess those cold nights leave nothing else to do.) I do find that sometimes people get offended, raised eyebrows, awkward silences, all of that. So I've learned to temper myself -- for the most part, though it's fun to cut loose once in a while. And I agree, humor's good, violence (and I hate it, we don't have TV reception) is truly ugly.

Kristin

MelllieMa

You guys are cracking me up here! I actually laughed out loud for real with this thread, thanks, I needed that!
Papooses.... you gotta tell us what worked for you! If you DO do tub stickies or sex-wax I'd get yourself some seat covers first so you don't lower your resell value.
And Darren, you are once again right on the money. I'm right there with you and shudder whenever I allow myself to see what's there on (non discovery channel type) tv.
SO, still hijacking the thread here...
What are your kiddos favorite dvds??? I'm in the market for something OTHER than 'Bob the Builder' or Elmo, LOL.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
Yeah, I tried seat covers, but they slip a lot, too, so I think I'm going to have to put something right on the seat.... The sex wax is pretty cheap! But, I kind of like the idea of some silly stickers on the seat {LOL} It might actually help to put the stickers on & then seat covers over them? Well, at least for the summer months when I won't want something scratchy rubbing on my thighs :rolleyes: I already have some snazzy zebra print ones.... Plus, my SIL says they might want to buy the SUV off me next year for their winter plowing, so I won't even care about ruining it too much for trade-in.... Anyway, I think Santa will bring me some bathtub stickers for Christmas & then I'll let ya know how it works!

Blue's Clues & Dora are my kiddo's favorites, but she also likes Harry Potter a lot ~ I skip through any scarey scenes. We don't have cable/satelite/digital TV {just VCR/DVD} so we usually stick with educational stuff or classic musicals & we dance/sing along ~ we're kind of weird {LOL}

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
UPDATE

Turned out Ms. Claus couldn't find any "fashionable" bathtub stickers ~ I got some of that gripy shelf liner in black to match the seat & it's helping :D

Good thing, too, because my SIL decided she didn't want my SUV for her daughter ~ not because of the crash ratings, but because I have the car safety decals on the windows @@ *SNORT*

So, anyway, I think the problem is solved until I can trade it in! Thanks for the ideas....

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC