Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Technical Info on Ford Explorer Models with Inflatable Seatbelt Technology

I posted a review of the Ford Explorer with Inflatable Seatbelts on the blog today:
    http://carseatblog.com/20654/ford-ex...osters-review/

It's a general review geared towards parents who may have or be interested in purchasing this vehicle. However, I felt the need to also discuss some of the more technical aspects of this vehicle. Info that CPS Techs or advocates could use if they're working with a family that has this vehicle.

2011 - 2013 Explorer Models:

Current lower anchor wt limits for 2011, 12 & 13 model years are 48 lbs (child weight only). No limit for TA - follow CR manufacturer's instructions. LATCH limit will change for 2014 Explorer model.

Non-standard LATCH spacing: Middle row center spacing is 520mm (20.5") which is VERY wide and exceeds Britax's 11-20" criteria. I personally don't feel comfortable with spacing that is almost twice the standard but technically if the CR manufacturer allows it - so does Ford.

How to install CR with inflatable belts (if CR manufacturer specifically allows installation with these types of belts): Reference video in blog review to see what the system looks like. It's a large, unusual-looking sewn-on latchplate with dual retractors. Shoulder belt retractor is ELR only. Lap belt portion is switchable and should be switched to ALR to lock CR in place. Make sure you follow specific instructions from Britax or Chicco on how to install their HWH CR's with these types of belts. Use LATCH instead of seatbelt for a child weighing less than 48 lbs in a HWH CR.

In the 2014 MY when Ford transitions to a 65 lbs combined wt limit for LATCH then you may need to move to a seatbelt install sooner depending on the wt of the CR.

HTH!

And just for fun....

DarrenFordInflatableSeatbelt.jpg
    Last edited by Kecia; 03-11-2013 at 03:57 PM.

Me & the kids at Dorel

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPS Technician LISmama810's Avatar
    Awesome! I haven't read the blog yet, but I can't wait!

That photo looks like an Explorer/golf cart hybrid, BTW.

Moderator - CPST Instructor Pixelated's Avatar

Re: Technical Info on Ford Explorer Models with Inflatable Seatbelt Technology

I was at a Ford dealership today and they let me peek into an Explorer with the belts. I think I taught them some things, and they hadn't had anyone ask or know about them just yet! Here are some pictures - definitely identifiable. I didn't try to install anything with them, but the 2nd row middle - holy plastic. It's going to be tough putting just about anything in that spot!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jen ~ Canadian CPST-IT with CPSAC

5. Thank You from:

Re: Technical Info on Ford Explorer Models with Inflatable Seatbelt Technology

If you need any additional pictures, let me know. My dad is a salesman at a Ford dealership.
    Brooklyn- 7 years, 47 lbs and 49 inches riding in an Oobr, 2 Ollis, Monterey, Vivo, Literider, and Cruz