Airplane car seat with stroller attachment help please.

djennison

Hi everyone,

Im a Dad and I need some help please. My 18m old daughter has outgrown her infant travel system and we are looking for a car seat that fit on a plane and attach to a stroller, or something I can wheel her in. Am I asking the impossible?

As of right now, I was about to purchase a Cosco Scenera and just bungee it to a luggage cart. The bummer with this is, now I need to pack a stroller too. I guess Im looking for a toddler travel system if there is such a thing.

Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

ADS

creideamh

You can bungee the Scenera to the stroller. :)

The Combi Coccoro used to have its own stroller frame, but the car seat isn't the longest lasting. The Orbit system also works, but it's heavy and $$$. Easiest and cheapest thing is to just rig the car seat to your regular stroller, wheel to the gate, gate check the stroller, and use the car seat on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can bungee the Scenera to the stroller. :)

The Combi Coccoro used to have its own stroller frame, but the car seat isn't the longest lasting. The Orbit system also works, but it's heavy and $$$. Easiest and cheapest thing is to just rig the car seat to your regular stroller, wheel to the gate, gate check the stroller, and use the car seat on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

:yeahthat: You may be tempted to buy something like this: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lilly-Gold-Stroll-Stroller-Combination/dp/B004EBUP1A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1363133378&sr=8-2&keywords=sit+n+stroll"]Amazon.com: Lilly Gold Sit 'n' Stroll 5 in 1 Car Seat and Stroller Combination, Tuxedo Black: Baby[/ame] . But trust me, you'd rather run a marathon through lava first. Really. Or just give me the money. Yeah!

You could bungee the Scenera or you could use the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Traveling-Toddler-Seat-Travel-Accessory/dp/B000JHN3AS/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1363133525&sr=1-1&keywords=traveling+toddler"]Traveling Toddler strap[/ame]. It looks like [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Go-Go-Babyz-Travelmate-Luggage-Orange/dp/B0068IGSHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1363133525&sr=1-2&keywords=traveling+toddler"]GoGo Babyz[/ame] makes a strap now too and they're the ones who make the wheels that attach to carseats.

mamah

we have always just used a bungee cord to strap the scenera to a rolling suitcase and put the child in an umbrella stroller. cheap, light and easy!

aeormsby

My kids have ridden in carseats strapped to rolling carts or umbrella strollers through the airport. With a narrow seat on the luggage cart you sometimes get lucky and can even roll it down the airplane aisle which is mighty handy. Just practice taking it apart once or twice before your trip so you don't feel rushed at security.

Marathon on a rolling cart:
100_2531.JPG

Uptown (similar to the Scenera) in a Chicco umbrella stroller:
100_5555.JPG

YouAreTheFocus

:yeahthatlove: to aeormsby's 2nd pic. We do the same setup with our Evenflo Tribute & Gluxe. Works perfectly! You can also hang lots of stuff on the handles since you have kid+carseat weighing the stroller down.

Eclipsepearl

I simply put my car seat on a luggage cart, as shown above. They sell specific carts for this but basically, any metal, foldable luggage cart should work fine.

My 18 monther then could either walk, be worn or ride in the contraption. When the toddler wasn't hitching a ride, I chucked all the carry-on's in there. I borrowed a stroller at my destination.

My car seat wouldn't fit in the stroller, or I might have done that. Your call but try whatever you have in mind, at home first. Practice taking it apart and putting it back together. Sounds anal but trust me, when you get to security and you're swinging that stuff around like an expert, you'll be glad you got the kinks out without 15 annoyed and hurried passengers behind you!

cantabdad

Greetings from another dad (we seem to be in the minority here, for whatever reason).

I agree with the other posters -- just plop the carseat in the empty stroller to wheel it through the airport, then gate-check the stroller. We've done this a few times and it works fine. In our case, we haven't needed a bungee cord or anything like that to secure it because they happen to fit together well, but even if you do, that's no problem.

At the airport, your daughter can be carried in an Ergo or similar carrier, or probably can just walk herself (unless you're changing terminals or navigating a huge airport).

If you don't need a stroller at the destination, skip the stroller and just carry the carseat through the airport yourself (many of them, like the Scenera, are really not that heavy).

Another option, which I've done once with the Radian carseat, is to get 2 carry straps and wear it as a backpack, leaving your hands free.

djennison

Thanks everyone! That helps a lot! Im was about to buy the Cosco Scenera, but it doesnt look to have much padding at all! What would be similar in size but offer my little one more padding? We are on a 5hr flight and I would prefer her to be comfortable.

Great idea on the umbrella stroller too! That's awesome!

Eclipsepearl

I personally thought the padding was a non-issue. You can use a blanket or whatever. Just use a blanket. Our flights were over twice as long and I don't think it really has that much less padding than our Radian does. I didn't have any issues with my child. Did anyone else?

Please don't "just carry" a car seat through the airport!! You do NOT want a bad back or something go kink in the middle of your adventure. It's too easy to put it on a cart and carry it behind you, with the other carry-on's. I ended up in the ER 15 years ago so I can't warn all of you enough. Let me suffer so you don't have to! Yoga and being careful have kept problems at bay.

I can't find it anymore on the net but if anyone remembers, it was a gizmo that turned the car seat into a backpack. Sounded like a good idea but wonder where it went... But that's more for a solo traveling parent who needs to push a stroller that wont accommodate the car seat (for whatever reason). If there are two parents traveling, and you need the child to ride in the stroller, one can push the stroller while the other pulls the car seat behind.

newyorkDOC

I can't find it anymore on the net but if anyone remembers, it was a gizmo that turned the car seat into a backpack. Sounded like a good idea but wonder where it went... But that's more for a solo traveling parent who needs to push a stroller that wont accommodate the car seat (for whatever reason). If there are two parents traveling, and you need the child to ride in the stroller, one can push the stroller while the other pulls the car seat behind.
I don't think they make it anymore but it's this:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000GIBYQ0/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?qid=1204257455&s=baby-products&sr=8-9"]Cheeky Monkey Pac Back:Amazon:Baby[/ame]

Athena

When traveling with a 2yo, we bungeed her Britax marathon to our Maclaren stroller and put our carry ons in it. (the small things, like the kids' small backpacks, not the rolling suitcase ;)) I guess she could have gone in it, but she liked to walk. Personally, I would not skip the bungee cords. If you don't like the Scenera, what seat does she currently have? We used our regular seat for the trip.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC