DS's Como is here!!

ZephyrBlue

First impression- this seat is awesome! The quality is equal to Britax, no question. It does feel "sturdier" than our MA. My 2.5yo DS fits with lots of room to spare- but he does not like the head pads or thigh pads AT ALL. Weird, because the BLVD wings didn't bother him at all. But at 2.5, I'm okay removing both of them since he's in the 3rd from the bottom harness slots. My 4.5yo (who I discovered this morning is 1" OVER the top of her MA shell :eek:) has several inches of growing room in the Como and would use the 2nd from the top slots. (I'll take pics later if I can).

I'm having an installation problem though and would really appreciate input. There is a post in the installation forum.

I'm waiting to hear back from Recaro whether my 33.5" DS can continue to RF past 34". If he can't, the seat will have to be returned, as I'm NOT turning him around FF when he could RF a lot longer in a Britax.

ADS

LuvBug

They state the seat can be used until there is no longer 1" of shell above the head(paraphrased)... so reguardless of the dumb 34" max listed, I would still use it RFing until he hit 35lbs or no longer had 1"
Its the same thing we will tell you when using an infant seat.

Cant wait to see pics!

southpawboston

i honestly don't understand how the 34" rule can be "enforced". what if your DC is all legs and no torso? that would make the 34" rule completely irrelevant.

LuvBug

i honestly don't understand how the 34" rule can be "enforced". what if your DC is all legs and no torso? that would make the 34" rule completely irrelevant.

exactly, that is why I think standing height should be completely ignored. Saying that a few extra inches of legs alone means they are outgrown is not logical.

Ive read they are required to list a height limit, but it is just a guestimate of the company as to when the seat will be outgrown. They dont test different standing height dummies to prove one is safer than the other :rolleyes:

ZephyrBlue

Okay, here's a few pics. DS is 33.5" tall, almost 2.5yo (28 mos), and probably right around 27lbs. He's in the 2nd from the bottom harness slot if RF- this troubles me because you're supposed to use the head pillows for the bottom 2 slots and DS hates them, but agreed to let me take a pic with them ;) ANd they fit in a weird spot- see how his head sticks out of the top? With the harness snug, the pillows move down a bit so that they're lower than I would like. He kept saying, "These bothering me! Take these things OUT!" The thigh pillow fits better, but he's pretty squished with it in and told me to take it out, too. For FF, he's in the 3rd from the bottom slots with LOTS of room left.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/austincomo1.jpg
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/austincomo2.jpg
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/austincomo3.jpg

My DD is 4.5yo, 38" tall and 29lbs. She has quite a bit more room than in the MA- she has 2" before her shoulders are even w/the MA's top slots, but the top of her head is 1" above the MA shell. You can see that she has considerably more room in the Como than she would in the MA. She likes the seat, but it sits up WAY too high for her to climb in to RF, even though she would fit, height-wise and weight-wise, for RF in this seat.

http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/lexicomo1.jpg
http://img5.ranchoweb.com/images/balessingo/lexicomo2.jpg

I'm waiting for the kids to go to bed so I can go back out and play with it some more in my van. Fingers crossed that I can get a rock solid RF install!

i honestly don't understand how the 34" rule can be "enforced". what if your DC is all legs and no torso? that would make the 34" rule completely irrelevant

That's exactly what Gayle was supposed to find out from an engineer today. But it's a dumb rule. You can see that my 38" DD would fit fine RF (and is well within the weight limit, too)

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
That looks like one nice big seat! :D Could you do me a favor and measure from the seat to the top of the shell? I'm just wondering how much taller it is than other 35 lb RF seats like the Uptown & Triumph Advance. I'm wanting a different seat for E so that he can RF for those extra 2 lbs - he's getting way too close to that 33 lb weight limit of his WZ. I really can't afford a Como right now, but if it's the only 1 that will be tall enough for him, I'd make it work somehow. TIA! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC