FFing technology, do you believe it?

Kel

I've been thinking of getting a sure fit. Sounds great with the tall top slots. I'm thinking this would be an ok seat to RF my baby sitting 1 yr old.

Later, maybe 6months to a year from now, I will want to use it FF for my then 3.5-4yr old. Then by a dedicated HBB. I not thrilled with heavy combos.

BUT...what about all this FFing technology? Is it all that? If you RF until say 4, then use a HBB at say 5 or so. Would you buy a seat just for its FFing "super abilities"?

I'm really undecided. Your thoughts???

Thanks

ADS

hope41more

This is a great question. For example, they released the foonf data, and 3-year-old excursion is less ff than rf? I'm confused with what to do with that...

cowgirlsmommy

From what I've seen from manufacturers, I do believe the ff'ing technology included in britax convertibles, their new pinnacle, and the foonf does make a difference.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
The foonf does have some numbers that are "better" forward-facing than rear-facing, but my understanding is that those numbers are always better forward-facing than rear-facing. You have two completely different crash dynamics, so of course direction is going to affect the body in different ways.

As for FF technology, there are lots of different things manufacturers might use: HUGS, SafeStop, crumple technology, etc. I'm sure some of it makes a difference and other things might be marketing ploys. I doubt any of it hurts, though.

I'm not sure I really understand the question, I guess. I rear-face for a long time, but my kids do go into FF seats before they're boostered, so I certainly think FF technology has a place.

How I feel about any particular seat/feature will depend on the situation.

Kel

I guess I'm asking, when I buy a harnessed seat, should I worry about all of the FFing extras. Like safe cell, foonf FFing stuff, etc...

Or do you think a seat like the Sure Fit is just as good?

What do you all look for in FFing seat?
Thanks!

Phineasmama

Is it comfortable for the kid, does it support their legs so they don't fall asleep, does it cause head slump or does it have a nice recline for sleeping, is it easy for them to buckle or for me to help them buckle, does it install well with the seat belt, does it have built in lock offs, are the harness covers adequate so the harness doesn't rub their necks in the summer when we're not so dressed up, etc etc.

hope41more

Would ff technology and impressive numbers convince anyone to flip to ff earlier than planned? I'm really struggling with those great ff foonf numbers vs rf numbers...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I guess I view something like SafeCell technology like I view RF tethers: nice feature to have, but not something I'd base an entire purchase on. I'd first look at things like longevity, comfort, and ease of use. A special FF feature might tip the balance toward one seat or another, but I can't imagine it would make it my starting point.

Would ff technology and impressive numbers convince anyone to flip to ff earlier than planned? I'm really struggling with those great ff foonf numbers vs rf numbers...

Heck no! Rear-facing is always safer! As I said before, certain numbers will always be better FF than RF. That doesn't mean it's suddenly safer to FF. I'll take increased chest Gs rear-facing to make up for the increased head and spine protection.

hope41more

I guess I view something like SafeCell technology like I view RF tethers: nice feature to have, but not something I'd base an entire purchase on. I'd first look at things like longevity, comfort, and ease of use. A special FF feature might tip the balance toward one seat or another, but I can't imagine it would make it my starting point.

Heck no! Rear-facing is always safer! As I said before, certain numbers will always be better FF than RF. That doesn't mean it's suddenly safer to FF. I'll take increased chest Gs rear-facing to make up for the increased head and spine protection.

Ok. That's what I kept coming back to- how can the numbers be better if rf is so safe???? So I'll be leaving DS rf to 4 or 5 in the foonf.

Kel

Thanks all. I'm definitely NOT tuning DS before he out grows his RFing seats.

Just wondering how much thought should be going into his FFing seat? So far, everything installs well in my van.If my son makes it until almost 4 in his my ride RFing, than I'm not sure what to do next....buy a FR85 even though I'll never use it as a Booster?

How long do we think kids can FF in say the Foonf? If the FFing technology is that much better in it, I could buy one then pass it down later to my youngest to FF in. But the Sure rides top slots are taller, so....

Mamasboys

Personally, I would spend the $$ on a FR85 for harnessing only before spending double that on a Foonf for FF only. Actually, if there's time (which it sounds like there is a little), I'd want to wait for the FR90 that's coming out. I *like* to have as many safety features FF as possible.

For RF, I'm personally comfortable with *less* features, since we know RF in itself is vastly safer. The Sureride fits the bill for RF the 1yo. If it just had an easier buckle (I have weakness in one hand) and the 45lb RF I wanted, that would have been in the running for our DS2.

Stelvis

I wouldn't buy a Foonf to harness a 4 year old FF because the top slots are so much shorter than a Frontier.

nataliem257

Rumor has it that the frontier 90 and the pinnacle are going to have safe cell, although I'm not sure how much of a difference that could make in a low profile seat like that, but its something to think about.

Kel

Thanks, I realized the Foonf has shorter top slots. That's why I was thinking of buying a sure ride to begin with.

I like the FRs. There big and comfortable, but I never use them as high back boosters, because I don't have latch where my booster kids sit. So is it a waste?

How long until the new FRs come out? Wish they weren't so wide...

nataliem257

No definite date, but sometime in May is what's expected. It looks like the pinnacle 90 might be less wide compared to the 85 SICT, because of the redesign of the cushion things.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I can't remember where I read it, maybe the Transport Canada crash tests? http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-car-index-873.htm But it was like, a 'flimsy' shell does so much energy absorbing as it bends and flexes, you get the same results as various other energy absorbing technologies. Like, when you make the seat super-stiff, you have to add-on the extra rip-stitch tethers, safe stops, and required harness pads (a la graco smart seat, chest g's are too high RF without those mondo chest pads), to be able to get the numbers down. When you have just the basics: a plastic shell and harness, the seat does do it's main job just fine, to hold the child in the car during a crash. Plus, the sides of the sureride are so nice and deep, I kind of think it's going to do quite well in side impacts (just my mommy-gut talking, but that seat really IS pretty deep).

cowgirlsmommy

I can't remember where I read it, maybe the Transport Canada crash tests? http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/roadsafety/safedrivers-childsafety-car-index-873.htm But it was like, a 'flimsy' shell does so much energy absorbing as it bends and flexes, you get the same results as various other energy absorbing technologies. Like, when you make the seat super-stiff, you have to add-on the extra rip-stitch tethers, safe stops, and required harness pads (a la graco smart seat, chest g's are too high RF without those mondo chest pads), to be able to get the numbers down. When you have just the basics: a plastic shell and harness, the seat does do it's main job just fine, to hold the child in the car during a crash. Plus, the sides of the sureride are so nice and deep, I kind of think it's going to do quite well in side impacts (just my mommy-gut talking, but that seat really IS pretty deep).

I heard basically the same thing when I toured the dorel factory.

Kel

That's great to know, thanks. I've got to pick out a new seat soon. I'm leaning towards, pria then sure ride. And maybe a foonf.

Kel

Then they'd charge double. We'd feel better though, paying more. Feel like we're getting something great...Lol.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC