Vent Erika's Story

Vicky

I joined this forum a few days ago because of my (then) nearly one year old Erika. Just a few days before her 1st birthday, on April 13, 2001, the worst thing happened. We crashed. A man had rear-ended us while speeding when there was a traffic pile-up ahead. We were getting ready to buy a birthday cake.

As you all know, back then RF carseats had a limit of about 20 pounds or so. Not wanting to deal with the "hassle", I turned her FF at about 8 months and often had her seat improperly installed (i.e loose install, loose harness, tipping and so on).

She was in a shield seat, with a harness that was too loose, and the crotch part of shield couldn't hold her in snugly. So Erika hit her stomach at 35 mph, and suffered serious (but invisible) internal damage.

My question is, why do so many parents place their children in DANGER like that? No, I am not talking about when the parent just doesn't know any better, I am talking about the parents who are GIVEN the resources and info to save their child's life, but ignore it. Saying it's a "hassle", "too much money", "we need it for the new baby" or even more terrifying "they will be fine".

THAT is what killed my baby. I could've kept her safe (although by today's standards, it wasn't very safe) as much as possible. I chose to, and I paid for it with my baby. I never got to celebrating her 1st birthday. I never saw her walk. I never got to see her go to school. I spent her first birthday planning HER funeral. Why? Because I chose to place my BABY in danger.

As Erika's first words were, Thankyamuch.

ADS

D&L's-mommy

I'm so sorry for your loss, and thank you for sharing your story

I think, like everything else in life, we say "that won't happen to my family" so we do what we feel is *good enough*, or simply, don't put enough consideration into things because we believe it won't happen to us

Reactions: Kel

Kel

Thank you for sharing. I will share your story with others I know that need to hear it. Maybe Erika will save a little life.

Suzibeck

Welcome to c-s.org. I am so sorry for your loss! I wish we could prevent all such losses and I am so thankful for people like you who are willing to share your stories to help others.

Phineasmama

So sorry that happened to you :(

I really think people don't believe it will happen to them. And they don't understand how even a smaller crash could be fatal to an improperly restrained child.

linneabw

So sorry for you loss and pain. Thank you for sharing your story, please spread the message about the importance of car seat safety and that it really can happen to anyone. Your little girl can help other children stay safe. I'm sure she would be happy about that!

jess71903

Ambassador
Welcome to car-seat.org! I am so sorry you HAVE a story to share, but thankful that you are here and willing to share it. I do think that so many have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. Well it DID happen to you, and your story might just wake some parents up. I hope you'll stick around here and get to know us!

Keeyamah

Thank you for sharing this story. I can't imagine only having seats that RFed to 20lbs, both of my boys have been or are 20lbs at 6 months old. Having to turn them FFing at that young.....OMG, just scary.

2BunniesMommy

I have goosebumps and am in tears reading this. I am so sorry for you lose. I hope sharing her story can save lives. I really do appreciate you sharing when I know how painful it must be for you. I had family that were born in late 80s- early 90s range and they all turned forward facing at around 8 months when they reached 20 lbs. That is how it was supposed to be at the time. Once I started learning about car seat safety and extended rear facing I realized how unsafe all of my sisters' children had been. I was quite thankful at that point that nothing had happened to any of them. They were all very lucky and I am glad that there is more knowledge about how to protect our most precious cargo now. (((HUGS)))

cookie123

Welcome to c-s.org. Thanks for sharing your story. I hope in doing so you can help others to see the value of correct child restraint use. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope talking to others about your experience can bring you some peace.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC