How do you feel about a 7 yr full time in a backless booster

arly1983

If said 7 year is a great booster rider and hasn't fallen asleep in the car in over a year?

When DD outgrows the dreamtime (which will probably be this summer if I am lucky) then moving her to a backless gives me a little more wiggle room and I can fit DS1 a wider booster in our 3-across.

I haven't made a decision and the sureride isn't here yet. I am just pondering my options.

Car would have side-curtain airbags. She could stay in a hb turbo in DH's older car. My car is the main car.

ADS

Baylor

Fine depending on car she is riding in and fit.

My 8 yr old rides in a LBB during the week to and from school, But because I have an older car with no real side protection, I put him in Monterey for all other rides.

If I had side airbags, I would have put him in full time last year and then just used high back for vacations where we are driving far and long.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Mine still fall asleep a lot so I wouldn't be thrilled about it, but if she's in the middle and doesn't fall asleep, it's probably fine.

arly1983

I forgot to mention fit! Thank you for reminding me.

In a literider and cruz she fits great in this car. She is 51 lbs, 45 ins now.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Oh. Two questions then:
Do you have side curtain airbags?
Is the child tall enough, when in the booster, for the airbags to do any good if so?

If the answer is no, I'd want a taller high back. To figure that last out you'd have to look up the seated height of the 5th percentile adult female dummy and measure whether your child in a booster has at least that seated height.

Honestly I'd still not be very super happy with it for everyday use because side curtain airbags don't always deploy in a non-straight-on side impact, secondary impacts, etc. For once in a while use I'd be fine with it, or in secondary cars, but not all the time, you know?

arly1983

Oh. Two questions then:
Do you have side curtain airbags?
Is the child tall enough, when in the booster, for the airbags to do any good if so?

If the answer is no, I'd want a taller high back. To figure that last out you'd have to look up the seated height of the 5th percentile adult female dummy and measure whether your child in a booster has at least that seated height.

Yes to the side curtain airbags.

I am going to having to get back to you on that last one.

I could also try putting a brick on her head and try to keep her in the dreamtime. :eek: Maybe she will just grow legs for the next year and a half.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Maybe they'll come out with something taller but narrow? Would flip-up armrests help? Because the Pronto/BoostAir have them.

arly1983

Maybe they'll come out with something taller but narrow? Would flip-up armrests help? Because the Pronto/BoostAir have them.

I did try the BoostAir. This spot is tight and the headrest wings didn't fit when you had to move the headrest up out of lower positions. I never tried the pronto because of the wide base.

Literally, the Dreamtime is the only thing I have found that fits in this is spot with the radian and they actually puzzle. I have to do the scoot and buckle and scoot back. The dreamtime sits behind the lip of the radian. The vehicle seat itself is sculpted so it just compounds the problem. DS being nearly as big as DD doesn't help. There are not many narrow options he can still fit in.

I just need something that will work for the next 2 years approximately. The minute I can get of this lease I will be turning it in.

In August I will be able to use DH's car 99% if I want to. So that would be weighing keeping DD in a highback in a 97 Camry versus backless in a 12 Terrain.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Isn't the Pronto the same base as the BoostAir?

And that's a tough choice... If she's tall enough for the airbags to help, I'd probably choose the newer vehicle.

arly1983

Isn't the Pronto the same base as the BoostAir?

And that's a tough choice... If she's tall enough for the airbags to help, I'd probably choose the newer vehicle.

Is the base the same? I can go try a pronto at kmart. It would be nice not to have to do the scoot-buckle and wonderful to have some more growing room. :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've never seen a Pronto in person but from pics it looks like only the back (headwings, really) are different.

arly1983

I called yesterday and I am going in today to talk about the possibility of breaking my lease. I don't even know if we would be able to afford it but at this point my kids are only getting bigger so I have got to at least try.

Never let two men talk you into a smaller car if you have doubts. In my case: as nice as it was, as great a deal as it was, as much gas as I've saved, it just wasn't worth it. :(

arly1983

I went in Saturday but they couldn't get my payoff info until Monday morning so they are going to call me with some numbers then. I have been looking over the paperwork and I think it would take a miracle. :(

Maybe I missed it but what is the car and what besides the Dreamtime is in the puzzle?

I am going to try very hard to make this very short.

Vehicle: 2012 GMC Terrain-no headrest middle position, top tether in every position. Deeply sculpted vehicle seats.

Child 1 (8 yrs, 54 ins, 76 lbs): literider
Child 2 (6.5 yrs, 45 ins, 51 lbs): dreamtime
Child 3 (4 yrs, 44 ins, 48ish lbs): xtsl/65sl

I have tried combinations of all these seats:
Child 1: literider, cruz, topside, connext, amp
Child 2: dreamtime, turbo, parkway sg & sgl, vivo, amp
Child 3: xtsl, s4m, proride, sureride, maestro, frontier, nautilus

All of the following have been outgrown by height FFing by child 3: myride, marathon65&etc, marathon70

My problem is child 1 (sensory issues:( ) is uncomfortably squished widthwise and child 2 is getting short on room in the dreamtime heightwise and child 3 has about 1 inch in the xtsl/65sl.

bnsnyde

Everyone 3 (or 4) and up here seems to use a backless in our town.
No problem with a backless for older kids but we use high-backs (at 6, maybe 5.5) and I like the sides surrounding them. My kids can also sleep if needed.
I would use it for travel for a 7-year-old if space was an issue, and lugging things was problematic.

So while everybody who would offer to drive my one son always "has an extra booster," I end up giving them his Vivo, which is really narrow and does 3 across well in a lot of vehicles.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Ok went and looked at pics and specs. I'd try the Radian center with 2 Monterreys first. I can almost fit that in my Corolla (but the drivers side seat belt anchor is farther outboard than the pass side so the monterrey sits on it)and you have 5 more inches. Diono stuff puzzles very nicely together. Seems like a wide combo but the wide is up high enough to clear the sticking out pieces of the doors.

What I can fit is Monterrey, Radian, Start and Oobr, Start, Radian.

The Start fits in spots where I used to only be able to fit a Rightfit, which was similiar shaped but narrower than a Lightrider. Also, it is super tall. Getting one is tricky but I'm pretty sure someone posted about getting one no more than a month back.

arly1983

Ok went and looked at pics and specs. I'd try the Radian center with 2 Monterreys first. I can almost fit that in my Corolla (but the drivers side seat belt anchor is farther outboard than the pass side so the monterrey sits on it)and you have 5 more inches. Diono stuff puzzles very nicely together. Seems like a wide combo but the wide is up high enough to clear the sticking out pieces of the doors.

What I can fit is Monterrey, Radian, Start and Oobr, Start, Radian.

The Start fits in spots where I used to only be able to fit a Rightfit, which was similiar shaped but narrower than a Lightrider. Also, it is super tall. Getting one is tricky but I'm pretty sure someone posted about getting one no more than a month back.

What specs are you looking at? My backseat measures 48 ins at the widest point (at the knees) and 44 at the bight?

5 extra inches? I don't see how. :eek::eek::eek:

I dreamtime, radian, and literider is a tight squeeze.

I have tried a Monterey but it was such a ridiculous failure that I didn't think it was worth mentioning.

arly1983

I just found a measurement for 55.1 ins in shoulder room. That is surely impossible unless they measured up and down each curve of that overly sculpted back seat. :mad:

Unless I have lost my mind and the ability to use a tape measure.

Seriously, dh's old camry is miles wider in comparison.

monstah

I'm totally OK with that. I have to be since DS is 7 and full time in a backless now. :p
(He was in an Oobr but outgrew it.)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC