Car seat ponderings..

Baylor

I have a Grand Caravan 2001. Middle bench is short and back bench is 3 seater.. But not really. Middle is a lap belt.

Now that both boys can ride in boosters, I am thinking of removing middle bench and then putting back bench in middle position. We don't really drive anyone else around anymore so I don't really need the extra space.

I only have that lap belt position in the middle so I would have to put harness seat there if I did need to put someone else in.

I was thinking of getting the vest option for that case, And isn't there an option for the lap belt? is that the 86Y? I do have a tether at all points on that bench.

I have FR 85, GNs, Sante Fe, Literider,and Monterey. I am willing to purchase different seats, But I know that lap belt only position is my downfall.
I don't want ds2 who is 5 in the literider except for emergencies and very short trips.. He is a sleeper.

But I would love to be able to move the bench forward to make more space for them on daily rides and yet still be able to use the bench fully.

ADS

mominabigtruck

I would do it. That's what my dad did with his caravan so he would still have lots of room for all his tools in the back but could still fit all the kids with him.

Baylor

I would do it. That's what my dad did with his caravan so he would still have lots of room for all his tools in the back but could still fit all the kids with him.

My only concern is that lap belt position. If I get a vest or whatever it is that works with lap belts only, His head is below the seat back so that is good. Because it has no head rest either.

Whoever figured that everyone should not have a headrest, needs a noogie.

cookie123

I agree. My children rode around in a Caravan for many years with no headrests. And not because I didn't know any better. It was because we couldn't afford another van. There were no head rests in any position in the rear in that thing:(

Anyway, I would totally do it. If you never give anyone a ride, you probably still won't. Someone could ride in the front if necessary perhaps?

Baylor

So Now I need to know about those vests and is that all I need for the lap belt position, Or is that a completely different apparatus?

Been trying to find a place to buy the 86Y and Can not. Where do I get one?

Baylor

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Large-RideSafer-Travel-Vest-Deluxe/dp/B009RTHBDO/ref=sr_1_4?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1362757809&sr=1-4&keywords=ride+safer+vest+large"]Amazon.com: Large RideSafer Travel Vest Deluxe - wearable car seat / booster (50 to 80 lbs. approx 5 to 8 years, Blue): Baby[/ame]

This seems to have head support? Will this interfere with head rest?

aeormsby

Does the middle position have a tether? I believe both the vest and 86y harness require a tether (and with the 86y it needs to be their reinforced tether after a certain weight).

The 86y can be used with (some?) HBB's which would help with the headrest issue also, if they fit across..

ETA - I think the headrest for the vest is more of a comfort thing.

Baylor

Does the middle position have a tether? I believe both the vest and 86y harness require a tether (and with the 86y it needs to be their reinforced tether after a certain weight).

The 86y can be used with (some?) HBB's which would help with the headrest issue also, if they fit across..

ETA - I think the headrest for the vest is more of a comfort thing.

Yes I have anchors at all positions. I did see that after 80 pounds it would need their anchor installed but I would not need it that long. My guess is we will have a new car by then
I just want a just in case option for middle seat position. Right now it is just useless.

auto correct hates me

bubbaray

I'm a bit confused. Does either bench have headrests? If not, you cannot use the Monterey or a LBB. Your best bet would be PWs or possibly a FR in booster mode

Baylor

I'm a bit confused. Does either bench have headrests? If not, you cannot use the Monterey or a LBB. Your best bet would be PWs or possibly a FR in booster mode

Sorry. Yes. My back bench The 3 seater has 2 headrests. One on either end. The middle position is just a lapbelt. No headrest but my little guy would not be over the back of it. I just want an option for if I need to drive someone else. I figured the only one that could go in the middle is him in a 86y.

AS a rule, Ds2 will be in Monterey behind driver and DS1 will be in Sante fe behind passenger.

the only person we sometimes drive around is my grandmother home from church. At that point I have to have room for 5.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

Baylor

IMG_1513-1-1.jpg

That is the set up. Behind two seats in third row are two headrests.

Maybe I should just take middle row out and leave it empty and leave them back there on third row? That way I can move the middle bench in if I need it??

Baylor

Your poor FR85 is going to be sad and lonely!

Right?! I now have too many car seats.. :eek:
Did I just say that???

I will probably sell the Fr85. I just don't really need it. Now that they both are in boosters, It is easy to just put them in dh's car and out. I will still have a HBB that lives in his car for emergencies, but the fr 85 is not getting used much at all lately.. :(

Baylor

Will the 2nd row bench fit in the 3rd row position? For backup seating in case you have extra passengers?

No. IT stinks but no! Because of the wheel wells and the fact that the middle 2 seater is kind of off center, It hits the wheel well covers and it won't lock. I tried it a couple of times.

I may try and get some captains chairs. I know I have to be careful so I am going to call dealer first and see what they say. I may be able to find some out of an engine wrecked one. Not a crashed one.

Next van will definitely have captains chairs!

I did move it up today and stored the 2 seater in my side closet. IT works best for me and the boys.

Baylor

Of course now that I took out the bench my mom wants me to bring my grandmother home from church. :) I'm just making dh drive too.

It just makes more sense for daily life.

auto correct hates me

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC