Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Honda Accord 2007/ Britax B-safe and/or infant seat recommendations

Hello, I'm new to the boards, due in May with our first, and have a 2007 Accord. I'm considering the Britax B-agile traveler system, comes with the B-safe infant car seat. Will this fit in my car? I'm new / just learning about latch, positioning etc. so I don't even know if it's best to be in the middle or somewhere else or what the LATCH/not LATCH options are, but thought i had heard the britax sometimes have trouble fitting in "small" cars (i didn't consider the accord small before!)

Anyway, any thoughts will be appreciated - we're trying to register / get the stroller soon before bebe comes!

Love these boards. I'll be back as i learn more.

JA in Arlington, VA

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Honda Accord 2007/ Britax B-safe and/or infant seat recommendations

Hi JA, congrats on your upcoming arrival!

The Accord is roomy enough unless you or your partner are super duper tall (I had a friend who had trouble fitting his Snugride in the middle because he needed his seat back so far. He is 6'6" and all legs. The seat fit just fine behind the passenger and his normal sized wife had no trouble riding in front of it).

The B Safe won't have a problem fitting.

As for LATCH, your car has LATCH on the sides only, not in the center. However, if you look the LATCH is offset toward the center, so any LATCH installations on the side will eat into the center position, and the shape of the backseat back there may lead to slight tilting of the carseat. This is not unsafe, just a parental OCD thing. And if you are trying to get extra people or kids back there I would never recommend using the LATCH in an Accord.

The LATCH limit right now in your car is 40 pounds, weight of the child only. So you have until then if you are using LATCH, to continue to use LATCH.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

thanks! i'm the original poster and that's very reassuring (nope, neither of us are super tall!)

but .... now i need a lesson on "latching" or i guess just the options for attaching /installing infant car seats? if we can keep the seat behind the passenger side, that's probably preferable anyway! but i don't understand - is latch optional or how it works? sorry, will check there's probably a thread on that... thanks for the help!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

LATCH is simply a way to install your seat. You'll either use the LATCH or the seatbelt on the side, or the seatbelt in the middle.

LATCH install:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fFzGs9GnEM"]BRITAX B-SAFE: Installing the Base using the LATCH System - YouTube[/ame]

Lap and shoulder belt install:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB32Z4OsZVc"]BRITAX B-SAFE: Installing the Base using the Vehicle Lap-Shoulder Seat Belt - YouTube[/ame]

Baseless (because it's good to know for a second car, travel (you should always buy a ticket and use a carseat on board a plane), if you need more space side to side or front to back, etc.).
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16y1chTJG58"]BRITAX B-SAFE: Installing without the Base - YouTube[/ame]

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785