How close is too close to the steering wheel?

Shaunam

For my huge preggo belly that is? If I push my seat back as far as I can (and barely able to handle the clutch) I'm only like an inch and a half from the steering wheel.

Is this safe? Should I just stop driving?

ADS

ThreeBeans

For the last two months of my pregnancy my belly was rubbing the steering wheel even with the seat pushed all the way back. Ugh...it was so irritating...

Shaunam

I'm afraid it will hurt the baby if I get in an accident. I wear my seat belt, but it seems that I'd still move that far forward in an accident. Seat belts do give a *bit* don't they? I'd love to have an excuse not to drive anymore, but DH doesn't drive and we'd have to have his mom take him to work everyday. And her car is a horrible gas guzzler, so we'd have to pay her like $20 a week to take him (and he only works 3 miles away, and yes it's that bad!). I just hope this baby wants to come out SOON!

southpawboston

I'm afraid it will hurt the baby if I get in an accident. I wear my seat belt, but it seems that I'd still move that far forward in an accident. Seat belts do give a *bit* don't they?

yes, and if you have a relatively new car, you probably have load limiters which limit the load that the seatbelts will hold after the airbag has deployed, to reduce the forces exerted on the chest and abdomen by the seatbelts.

kangato2roos

I normally have to sit an inch or two away from the steering wheel because I'm so short (seat all the way forward). Any further back and I can't reach the pedals.

When I was pregnant, we solved the problem of how I was to drive by going down to the dealership and buying pedal extenders. They weren't that expensive and dh was able to install them himself, which saved on the cost. I was able to have the seat further back so my big huge baby-filled belly wasn't pushed into the steering wheel and still reach the pedals. I don't use them when I'm not pregnant because I don't like the way they feel, though most people I've asked can't really tell a difference. I probably should use them full time for safety reasons though... I'm awfully close to that airbag, and I'm shorter than most 10 year olds...

Well either way, pedal extenders may be worth looking into for you.

skaterbabs

Pedal extenders are a good idea. I'm NOT short (5 ft 8) and have to sit closer than I would prefer to the steering wheel just to reach it (short arms lol).

Shaunam

Well, it's an old car with no airbags, so that's not a concern. I'm too close to my due date to worry about pedal extenders. I have *way* too much other stuff to worry about right now. I just told DH today that we are just going to have to figure something else out because I can't do it anymore. :thumbsdown:

Erika Ruth

I drive as little as possible, and if at all possible, I sit in the middle row (No airbags). I am about 10 inches away from the steering wheel, and I angle the wheel up, and make it as far from my belly as possible.

Erika

beeman

With just an inch and a half I wouldn't. It wouldn't take that much forward movement to cause complications. Stick it up for a little more.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC