2 kids die when Mom tried to outrun train

ADS

MomToEliEm

Truely horrible. What was she in such a rush for that she would do that with 4 children in her car (2 died, 2 survived).

hapaness

You know what...just from looking at the video..the way she was driving in a PARKING LOT along side the train...I'd say she did it on purpose...tried to get in front of the train. suicide/homicide...seriously.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Wow. That is just unbelievable. Even in my crazier teen-driving days, trains were the one thing I would NEVER even consider messing with.
It's really easy to sit here and condemn, though, and really, we can't know what was going through her mind. Desperation can make people do crazy things, things they never would have considered if they had just had a second to sit back and think about it. Hopefully the 2 kids who survived will be alright, it didn't say much about their condition.

crunchierthanthou

that is so awful! I can't imagine. I don't think I'd ever dare to try to outrun a train, but what are the odds that they would be at the crossing at exactly the same time?

TXDani

Senior Community Member
OMG that is crazy!:jaw: Will you please keep us posted if you hear an update as to *why* she tried to outrun a train?

Namegirl

Senior Community Member
That's horrific. Although after watching the video, I wonder if it was intentional...

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I can't get the video to upload on my computer yet... working on it... but i looked up in google search by "train crash Hammond, IN" and sure enough Chicago news has info on it, it was in Indiana in the northern part of the state i have a lot of family up in that area, so it's not international. :( so sad

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
here's the site i found it has the video link on the site, so no uploading! LOL ... http://cbs2chicago.com/northwestindianabureau/local_story_248190821.html

That's a better link, for me at least, thanks Becca! That is so terrible, though. Train crossings are scary. I come from a railroading family (my dad, my FIL, my grandpa, DH's uncle, and now DH), so I was raised with a healthy fear of railroad crossings. It also makes me feel bad for the people in the train. Railroaders have a real sense of guilt when they know they've killed someone, even if there was nothing they could do about it. My dad has been on a few trains that hit cars or people on the tracks (suicide) and he's always a mess afterwards. It's a very difficult thing for them to have to deal with.

MsFacetious

The train she was outrunning isn't the one that hit her. It was going east, there was a west bound train coming that she didn't see which hit her and pushed her into the other one. Is my understanding.

People have said that crossing is notorious for having to wait half an hour at it.

Well at least she didn't have to wait a half an hour.

LuvBug

um... for her to be trying to squeeze between 2 trains going opposite directions... I definitely think it may have been a suicide thing. There was a teenager a couple years back that on her way to school just parked her car on the tracks and waited. Other motorists witnessed the truly horrible suicide. Why would you pick a train?

I know that unless Edie Bolanos recovers and can tell us exactly what she was thinking/doing, there's no way of being sure, but nonetheless I'm not convinced it was a suicide attempt.

I have a friend in the Portage/Valpo area who says it's a notorious intersection (the one where the mom was originally stopped by the train). Takes FOREVER when more than one train is going through. If she was in a hurry, or... :confused: whatever she thought was a good reason to race the train, it looks as though she failed to realize that the other train was coming from the opposite direction.

Last edited:

Synchro246

I know that unless Edie Bolano recovers and can tell us exactly what she was thinking/doing, there's no way of being sure, but nonetheless I'm not convinced it was a suicide attempt.

I have a friend in the Portage/ValP area who says it's a notorious intersection (the one where the mom was originally stopped by the train). Takes FOREVER when more than one train is going through. If she was in a hurry, or... :confused: whatever she thought was a good reason to race the train, it looks as though she failed to realize that the other train was coming from the opposite direction.

Yeah, I'd bet she just REALLy didn't want to wait for possibly a half an hour with four kids in the car. I know I wouldn't either. I wouldn't race a train EVER, I would just not go in that parking lot unless I HAD to.

I got really nauseaus reading that story. It's so horrible. It's horrible for the mom to be so irresposible, for her to loose two kids. . .all of it.

I wonder how all the kids were restrained. I wonder the ages of the survivors.

I wonder what they were thinking/saying as mom raced the train. . .

Michelle

How can someone be so stupid!! My husband works for the railroad and sees so many people trying to out run a train and almost get killed! People just dont understand the damage that a train can do. They are so heavy and dangerous! Even just being too close to the railroad tracks while the train is passing is dangerous. Just last week my husbands train de railed and almost killed him and another guy he was working with. 2 cars tipped over also.

lamamaloca

I've seen people try to outrun trains all the time, so I don't think it was necessarily suicide. I do think that if she survives she ought to be charged with child endangerment/manslaughter. But I'm mean like that.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC