Question Middle seat has no top tether.

U

Unregistered

Hello! I frequently come across this site when googling about car seats and safety but can't find an answer to my question this time. We just bought my son a new car seat, the Recaro ProSport, and we really love it so far just from looking at it in our living room. It seems very sturdy and safe. However, we don't know what is going to be the safest seat to use it in. I would prefer he be in the middle seat but it has no top tether. And the latch system specifically states not to use the latch system without a top tether. So we either have to use the middle seat with seat belt to secure the car seat or put it on a side seat so we can use the latch system AND the top tether. What would be the safest option. My husband thinks the side seat because he feels as though the top tether and latch system will hold the seat better in place in case of an accident. But I feel as though the center seat with the seat belt would be safer in case we had a side impact accident. Sorry if this has been asked before but Ive been looking everywhere online and can't find an answer! Also we are using it as a 5-point harness, not a booster at this time.

ADS

MamaErin

How big is your son? What vehicle is the seat for and does it have side airbags? All of those would play into the decision for me.

Just so you are aware, many vehicles have LATCH weight limits so if your son is above a certain weight you will have to install with the seat belt anyway, but you can still use the top tether with a seat belt install in the outboard positions. LATCH is no safer than a seat belt install, however the top tether is always recommended when FF because it reduces how far the child's head flies forward in a crash which can reduce neck injuries.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If you don't have a top tether in the center then you can't use the lower anchors. Likely those are the lower anchors from the side. If it's a five seater car, though, there's a top tether for that middle position, just maybe not where the other two are located (it's not uncommon to have the outer seats have their tethers on the back and the center to be in the ceiling or on the floor).

I agree, though, what car is it going into, and how much does he weigh?

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC