Is onboard 35 air being replaced soon?

3 ladybugs

And if so with what?

I was looking around at infant seats recently and I saw that this gets good reviews. I love the price point though I would gladly pay more if I thought I was getting more. However I noticed that many of the colors were out everywhere. To me this tells me A) problems with production which doesn't sound good, or B) they are replacing the seat soon.

I have been trying to find another seat that has everything I want and is easy to install but I keep coming back to this seat. I am not due till July so I have time.

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I haven't heard anything. Maybe they're just phasing out some colors and are going to come up with some new ones.

Spam

I haven't heard of it going anywhere either. I asked about replacement covers and they gave me a list of new covers that are being released, the cover I wanted was discontinued. I know if you order Great Lakes, it's most likely an older dom.

3 ladybugs

Thank you! I guess I have something cool to look forward to then! :) It is probably a good sign then that it is out in a lot of places as that means that a lot of people are purchasing them. :)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Might also consider the graco cc 35 dlx... [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-TJsUC3HxE"]Graco Snugride Click Connect 35 LX (2013) - YouTube[/ame]
I like the Onboard, and there are plenty of non-air versions around, but it's about the least compatible seat with strollers. If you basically don't care that it won't fit on any of the better brands of strollers, then no worries. I just get so many people at BRU with 'fancy' Eddie Bauer (same shell as ob35) seats who are sad they can't find a compatible double stroller when that second baby rolls around, that I like to make sure everyone knows that issue.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Might also consider the graco cc 35 dlx...

We had a CC 35 come through our car seat check last weekend. Judi got the car but we weren't busy so I went over like a creeper to snoop.

Be aware that the belt path on the base is very narrow, like a Baby Trend or an old Peg. Judi said it took a lot of extra force to get it installed with the seat belt. Possibly not a deal breaker, but good to be aware of.

3 ladybugs

We had a CC 35 come through our car seat check last weekend. Judi got the car but we weren't busy so I went over like a creeper to snoop.

Be aware that the belt path on the base is very narrow, like a Baby Trend or an old Peg. Judi said it took a lot of extra force to get it installed with the seat belt. Possibly not a deal breaker, but good to be aware of.

That is a potential deal breaker for me. We only have one car with latch and so if we had to put this seat in the other car (like if the minivan was being repaired) then I would still want DS to be safe.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
You could always use it baseless. If you're seriously considering this seat, you might want to PM Judi about her installation experience. She got it in nice and tight. When I saw it I was impressed that it was so tight with such a narrow belt path, but she told me it took a lot of effort. I didn't actually get to see her and the parent do the install, as I was helping with another vehicle when the mom first came in.

Dmcj13

They are coming out with some brand new prints for the onboard air, so that is probably why you are having trouble finding the old ones. I just ordered one of the new covers for mine and should have it Friday. :love:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The Click Connect 40 has a lockoff, and is reportedly easy to install, as an alternative to the 35.

3 ladybugs

You could always use it baseless. If you're seriously considering this seat, you might want to PM Judi about her installation experience. She got it in nice and tight. When I saw it I was impressed that it was so tight with such a narrow belt path, but she told me it took a lot of effort. I didn't actually get to see her and the parent do the install, as I was helping with another vehicle when the mom first came in.
I always worry about getting a good instal baseless. I know I have done it in the past with children that were not even mine. :blush: However like many things, I didn't know better at the time. I don't think I will be using the other car that much. With my current son in a Frontier 85 SICT, it will be a pain to get 2 in the back of the Camry (2000 LX). All the grandparents have cars with latch should I need it. Though honestly DS has never been in most of their cars other then when we visit family in WA state. We are in NJ.

They are coming out with some brand new prints for the onboard air, so that is probably why you are having trouble finding the old ones. I just ordered one of the new covers for mine and should have it Friday. :love:
I looked at travel systems and I LOVE the "check it out" print! I think that is what I will be ending up with.

The Click Connect 40 has a lockoff, and is reportedly easy to install, as an alternative to the 35.
I worry about getting this seat because my current son is long torso. So far his little brother is measuring the same (had an ultrasound at 14 weeks, next one is a week from tomorrow). So I don't know I would be able to use it to 40 lbs. Otherwise I would be all over this seat I think. Though I don't like the fabric much either. They are all so stiff!!

mominabigtruck

You're almost never going to use an infant seat to the weight limit unless you have a 22 lb infant seat and even then most of the time you will still outgrow it by height before weight. My dd is only 29lbs but she has outgrown all infant seats even though she is actually small for her size.

The higher weight limits on infant seats now are mostly a marketing thing aimed at parents who are going to turn their kids ffing when they outgrow the bucket. I mean really, who is carrying a 40lb 3yo around in a bucket seat?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I always worry about getting a good instal baseless. I know I have done it in the past with children that were not even mine. :blush: However like many things, I didn't know better at the time. I don't think I will be using the other car that much. With my current son in a Frontier 85 SICT, it will be a pain to get 2 in the back of the Camry (2000 LX). All the grandparents have cars with latch should I need it. Though honestly DS has never been in most of their cars other then when we visit family in WA state. We are in NJ.

I looked at travel systems and I LOVE the "check it out" print! I think that is what I will be ending up with.

I worry about getting this seat because my current son is long torso. So far his little brother is measuring the same (had an ultrasound at 14 weeks, next one is a week from tomorrow). So I don't know I would be able to use it to 40 lbs. Otherwise I would be all over this seat I think. Though I don't like the fabric much either. They are all so stiff!!

You don't have to use it to 40 lbs., and most kids won't. ;) It's still the tallest seat Graco makes (speaking of buckets.)

This is true (especially with long-torsoed kids) of almost all buckets. You can't expect to use most of them to their full weight limit with most kids. In fact, most seats are outgrown forward-facing by height before weight for most kids, when it comes to that.

If you want really easy to install with seatbelt both with and without base, the Cybex Aton wins for me. It doesn't have a lockoff but the base does tighten itself, then all you have to do is lock it. And the baseless install uses Euro routing so it's a cinch as long as the belt is long enough.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Maybe since weight limits are so crazy high, they should start listing height limits to name their seats? CC 40 goes to 35", CC35 goes to 32... or maybe butt to top of head measurements would be a good naming convention, since torsos are so random among kids of the same height :D.

3 ladybugs

You're almost never going to use an infant seat to the weight limit unless you have a 22 lb infant seat and even then most of the time you will still outgrow it by height before weight. My dd is only 29lbs but she has outgrown all infant seats even though she is actually small for her size.

The higher weight limits on infant seats now are mostly a marketing thing aimed at parents who are going to turn their kids ffing when they outgrow the bucket. I mean really, who is carrying a 40lb 3yo around in a bucket seat?
I would love to see someone carry a 40 lbs 3 year old in a bucket. :p I am not really expecting it to last to the full weight limit, but I would like it to get me through the first year so hopefully there would be something great for us to go to rear facing. I didn't really like the Radian that we had for my son.

You don't have to use it to 40 lbs., and most kids won't. ;) It's still the tallest seat Graco makes (speaking of buckets.)

This is true (especially with long-torsoed kids) of almost all buckets. You can't expect to use most of them to their full weight limit with most kids. In fact, most seats are outgrown forward-facing by height before weight for most kids, when it comes to that.

If you want really easy to install with seatbelt both with and without base, the Cybex Aton wins for me. It doesn't have a lockoff but the base does tighten itself, then all you have to do is lock it. And the baseless install uses Euro routing so it's a cinch as long as the belt is long enough.
I like that seat base, but I don't think the canopy is really that good. I know this should be the least of my worries, and honestly if the seat was ONLY going to be used in the car, it would be, but the point of having a bucket is to remove it from the car, so I think that is ineffective. :( Also if I told my husband that we needed to get another $300+ stroller to click it into (we have a $750 Peg Perego pram) he might be a bit mad. :mad: So I am trying to avoid that.

Maybe since weight limits are so crazy high, they should start listing height limits to name their seats? CC 40 goes to 35", CC35 goes to 32... or maybe butt to top of head measurements would be a good naming convention, since torsos are so random among kids of the same height :D.
That would be helpful! Though honestly I don't know the butt to top of head measurement of my son right now. I just go by how he fits in his seat. :)

nevaehsmommy

I haven't heard of it going anywhere either. I asked about replacement covers and they gave me a list of new covers that are being released, the cover I wanted was discontinued. I know if you order Great Lakes, it's most likely an older dom.

Do you recall the price point that was quoted?

nevaehsmommy

Attachments

• mckenna3.jpg
    mckenna3.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 16
  • mckenna2.jpg
    mckenna2.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 14
  • mckenna1.jpg
    mckenna1.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 15

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
like that seat base, but I don't think the canopy is really that good. I know this should be the least of my worries, and honestly if the seat was ONLY going to be used in the car, it would be, but the point of having a bucket is to remove it from the car, so I think that is ineffective. Also if I told my husband that we needed to get another $300+ stroller to click it into (we have a $750 Peg Perego pram) he might be a bit mad. So I am trying to avoid that.
The canopy is short, but when we have her in it out of the car, I just turn it so the canopy is toward the sun and it's NBD, shades her eyes fine. I'm so used to not using it outo f the car, though, I guess that's not a big deal to me in general. I know some people hate it.

As far as stroller compatibility, are there Maxi-Cosi adaptors for your stroller? It works on any stroller/adaptor that takes a Maxi-Cosi seat, too.

3 ladybugs

The canopy is short, but when we have her in it out of the car, I just turn it so the canopy is toward the sun and it's NBD, shades her eyes fine. I'm so used to not using it outo f the car, though, I guess that's not a big deal to me in general. I know some people hate it.

As far as stroller compatibility, are there Maxi-Cosi adaptors for your stroller? It works on any stroller/adaptor that takes a Maxi-Cosi seat, too.

I went looking on my blog for a photo of our stroller. This is the first one I found: http://www.ourunplannedlife.com/2009/09/photos.html You have to scroll a bit to see the stroller. I don't think any adaptor would work with it. It is really an european stroller that was just sold in this country for a VERY small bit of time. I had to get the rain canopy out of Canada. There is another part to the stroller:
100_0126.jpg
This goes onto the part where the normal stroller frame connects.

It might work universally with the toddler seat, but I am not sure.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC