Which vehicle to drive to CPST course.....

Which vehicle to take to CPST course?

• 2000 Mazda Protege

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 2005 Honda Odyssey

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • Take them on alternating days

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Ok, so next week I start the course. I have the choice of taking either of our 2 vehicles, so help me choose! Choice #1 is a 2000 Mazda Protege (not my actual car, but just like this):
H18959A.jpg

Choice #2 is a 2005 Honda Odyssey:
8314_image.jpg

Protege has top tether anchors, no latch, currently has a MA and Turbo booster in it. Odyssey has latch and tethers in middle captians chairs and the middle back of the back row an currently has a Wizard and a Regent in the captains chairs. So which one would you take to practice in? Another possibility would be to take the cars on alternating days. I'm getting excited, and I'm probably just over thinking everything at this point LOL!

ADS

nisi

Senior Community Member
Take the one you least mind people messing around with (nice grammar, eh?). Remember, the other students will be crawling around in it and may not be as careful as you would be with upholstery, seatbelts, etc. In my class, we had a student accidentally break a seatbelt in another student's car. You may not want to allow them to use your personal seats for the class for the same reason. I know everyone means well, but sometimes the newbies can get a little overzealous. :p

Sorry to be a downer. I know how excited you are - I was too. :) I just don't want the fun to be dampened by having a seat broken or something.

Enjoy your class!

LuvBug

I said alternate... but I didnt think about the fact other people would be getting in it and messing with the seats too... I think I might take my least favorite everything in that case :p

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Protege...it's a bigger challenge... anyone can install anything in an Ody, but a protege..well, that could be fun :love:

Yeah, i got pen marks and footprints on my new prius interior when I took it to class...I was not thrilled :p

crunchierthanthou

Take the one you least mind people messing around with (nice grammar, eh?). Remember, the other students will be crawling around in it and may not be as careful as you would be with upholstery, seatbelts, etc. In my class, we had a student accidentally break a seatbelt in another student's car. You may not want to allow them to use your personal seats for the class for the same reason. I know everyone means well, but sometimes the newbies can get a little overzealous. :p

Sorry to be a downer. I know how excited you are - I was too. :) I just don't want the fun to be dampened by having a seat broken or something.

Enjoy your class!

I agree. My owner's manual got completely destroyed and I had pen marks all over the interior from people crawling around with their pens out while working on their practice and test sheets. Luckily we have leather and some hand sanitizer wiped them right off, but I"m still finding them in weird places two months later. :(

NHCPSTECH

Senior Community Member
I said alternate... but I didnt think about the fact other people would be getting in it and messing with the seats too... I think I might take my least favorite everything in that case :p

I said protege because I feel that the Odyssey is a fairly easy vehicle to install most car seats in. (in all fairness though I have no idea about the Protege, but since it's a bit older...). I think all the car seats I've ever installed in an Odyssey have been pretty straight forward. You'll be asked if you are willing to share your vehicle with the class and then they'll decide which ones they want to use. My thought was the Mazda is more likely to be different (I could be wrong though). The more different cars the better the learning experience for everyone. I had borrowed my mothers 90 something Beretta with seat belts mounted to the door..you better believe they chose it to play in. Of course as a pp said, consider people climbing in and out with pens in their hands, etc.

So I guess, I'd bring the Mazda on day one and then make a determination from there...

R.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Take the Protege the first day and then ask your instructor which car would be more helpful to have there. They need a variety of vehicle types with differing seatbelt systems, space, etc. for students to practice in. So if one of your vehicles is different than any other cars that are available, they may want you to bring that one.

Have lots of fun!! My class was a year ago next week. Now I am a senior checker and getting ready to start instructor paperwork.
Renee

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
ROTFL - Gypsy and I had this very same discussion during our class! I voted alternate. Oh, and we brought my dd's Husky along because they didn't have one for people to practice on. Unfortunately, I think Gypsy & I were the only ones brave enough to touch it!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I take the oldest car I have available. More of a challenge that way. Plus, the oldest car I can manage ( 76 Maverick) needs a belt shortening clip in the front passenger seat which is rare.

Kimberly

TXDani

Senior Community Member
If I were to take my class over I would not provide my car at all for training purposes. They had more then enough other cars and my flawless Sienna got a few pen marks on the leather and the carpet got one big dirty footprint stain!! I was ticked!!!!!
We are a family that takes a lot of pride in our vehicles (probably too much:p) and it is heart wrenching when other people are around/in your vehicle who don't have the same priorities as you when it comes to cars. I had to ask the same guy twice to not put his clipboard up against the hood of my van while writing.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I take the oldest car I have available. More of a challenge that way. Plus, the oldest car I can manage ( 76 Maverick) needs a belt shortening clip in the front passenger seat which is rare.

Kimberly

YES!! This is an excellent example of vehicle differences that would be PERFECT to have available in class.
Renee

skaterbabs

Yep. When I took my class I had a 93 Cadillac Sixty Special with a rather unique belt setup. My car got used a LOT. lol they also used it when identifying different types of belts and had to stop that lecture to explain the RF tethered MA in the back seat. :rolleyes:

ignora

Senior Community Member
Your instructor hasn't emailed you about it? I just took my class last week. Our instructor emailed everyone enrolled in the class and asked what car we'd all be driving. I told her what I have available to me, and she let me know which one would be best to bring... just so there would be a different variety of cars.

Anyway, I'd take the older one w/o latch if I didn't know in advance what would be best. Newer cars tend to be easier. And I second whoever said not to use one at all if you're worried about how your car will be treated. Nobody messed mine up, but my poor car manual was in perfect condition and it got kind of trashed... pages torn out and whatnot. Some people put that shelf liner stuff down on their seats and floors to help protect them.

monzogary

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all the replies! I think I will take the Mazda the first day. It is older and we won't care so much if something minor happens to it. We will see how things go from there - if it seems people are at least a bit careful while in others' vehicles, then I will consider taking the Honda one day anyway. I really appreciate everyone's input.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC