Seat with width less than 15.5" for plane?

biddyk8

So I'm looking at booking a flight for June and it says they only accept car seats with a width of under 15.5". Are any seats this small?

I had been looking at the guide 65 as a travel seat but I know its not that skinny. Our normal seat is the peg convertible so it doesn't fit either.

Anyone any ideas? I think even the radian is 17"

ADS

Brianna

What airline, and do you know what plane? Maybe somebody has flown it before with a wider seat that could give advice. The only convertible I see less than 15.5" wide is the Combi Coccoro but that doesn't help you in Canada...

biddyk8

It's airtransat, they are updating the fleet so it's hit or miss what plane u get. Last time we flew with them the arm rests didn't even go up to just bring a bigger seat.

I didn't think any seat I could get was narrow enough, I'm going to have to email them to clarify the policy.

What other seats are narrow? I'm willing to consider everything but I'd prefer not to have to buy a radian as we are a 1 car house and we already have a peg and love it.

bratt

I had a discussion with someone at KLM about this. The radian is 15" at the base, so should fit. The 17" is just at the widest point.

biddyk8

Well I contacted Air Transat and asked for clarification seeing as they say the seat must be Canadian and under 15.5" and said eh there are no canadian seats manufactured under 15.5" and how exact were the measurements etc.

They replied and said if the seat is over 15.5" it will not meet safety requirements and they will not allow it on board, and that they will measure it before boarding.:mad::confused:

Soo boo Air Transat for having a unrealistic policy.

Looks like I will have to pay extra and fly United or Air Canada.

cantabdad

They replied and said if the seat is over 15.5" it will not meet safety requirements and they will not allow it on board, and that they will measure it before boarding.:mad::confused:

It might be worth getting Transport Canada involved here. Air Transat is effectively denying you the ability to use a carseat onboard due to their dimensional requirements, which are overly stringent and essentially arbitrary.

Seatguru lists their seat width as 16.5" to 18" in coach, so I don't see why the carseat must be even narrower than their narrowest seat.... so narrow that you effectively have no options.

In contrast to what you heard on the phone, their website does say that US-approved seats are OK, however.

I think you are correct to "vote with your dollars" and choose another airline. Maybe this airline will eventually get the message that they have nothing to lose and much to gain by adopting a more realistic, safety-oriented and family-friendly policy.

biddyk8

In contrast to what you heard on the phone, their website does say that US-approved seats are OK, however.

Yep but I can't legally use one in Canada or Import one so thats not really any good. I did make the point that there policy was redundant in the fact that they have it because they must but that it is completely unusable. They never responded to that

U

Unregistered

Hi,

Just wondering what your solution was to this situation? We are in the exact same situation and I would like to know what you did!

Thanks
Kate

biddyk8

Sorry I just saw this, we ended up flying with Air Canada instead and I think for that flight we used an evenflo tribute. We have used a sureride for all flights since then

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC