Prius V -- 2 seats & 40% side seat down?

rag01

We're getting close to making a final decision on a new car (Prius V or VW Sportwagen TDI) and we have a Prius question that I'm hoping someone can answer. Does anyone know if they can fold down the 40% side of the back seat and still have two carseats back there? We would most likely have a small ~2 1/2 year old and a NB/infant. We anticipate keeping the toddler rf, but if we have to ff just for special occasions (when the seat has to be down) so be it.

I'm fine with doing two radians, or an infant seat and a radian, or whatever. In other words, I just want to know if it is physically (and safety-wise) possible, whatever the configuration. I don't have a radian to test at the dealership, and I'm pretty sure that none of our current seats will work. I'm partially also worried about the plastic parts in the backseat of the Prius V -- they seem like they could spell trouble for 2 seats next to each other.

Thanks to all...this is obviously a big decision and is weighing heavily on us. Any input at all is welcome!

ADS

mdsvc89

I would VERY highly doubt it. The center seating position in the back of the Prius is super narrow (just realized you're talking about the V -- is it wider?). The time I had to travel with the 40% side down, I was only able to do it with DS (who was 5) in an evenflo AMP, and my then 11 year old (she 5-steps) with no seat. Even then it was a bit squeezy...

OK... I just looked. The Prius V actually reports 53.5" hip room in the back, vs. my regular Prius which has 51.2 -- so you MIGHT be able to do it. I'd get in there with a measuring tape. Fold the 40% down, and measure. If you can borrow a radian locally, even better...

Michelle

aept

I remember another thread where someone who had just bought a Prius V was having a LOT of trouble finding ANY seat to RF near those big plastic hinge things. They eventually found something. I will try to find the thread. I know I commented in it as I have a regular Prius and was trying to help (but probably wasn't too helpful!)
I would definitely plan on bringing seats to the dealership to try to install them AT ALL. Fitting 2 on the 60 side might be possible but if you really want to do that you might just have to test it out in person!
Going to search for that thread now...

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

bjacobson

As a Jetta Sportwagen TDI owner, I would definitely vote for the VW! Great mileage and actually fun to drive, tons of cargo room, feels well-built/solid, and a decent amount of room in the back for the kiddos. Mine is a 2011 and rear hip room is hard to find online, but I measured it at about 52 inches. The 60% portion of the rear seat is about 31 inches wide (very narrow middle seat). Don't think there is any way you could fold down the 40 section with two seats in there. Why would you need to?

mdsvc89

I'm guessing the "2 seats one one side, and the 40% folded down" is in case you had to transport a large item and both kids.

As I mentioned above, the time we had to to it there's no way 2 seats would have fit in the regular Prius (we were transporting 2 adults, 2 kids, and a cello).

rag01

Thanks everyone. BJacobson, thanks for measuring the back of the sportwagen, and for your seal of approval. We're a bit worried about the costs of upkeep/reliability on the Sportwagen. DH has been driving his Civic since 2000, and it has 200,000 miles on it. We hope the same of the next car.

We were hoping to be able to carry large items (e.g., skis) inside the car with two kiddos, but it may not be possible. The Sportwagen's ski passthrough helps with that. I may just have to bite the bullet, buy a radian (which we'll probably want in any case, but not for another year or so) and go down the dealership. I was hoping to be able to avoid that. I don't think there is a store here which will let you try out a radian, and I don't think I know anyone who has one, but I may just have to do a facebook post to make sure...

I read the string on installations in the V. It has me a bit worried, also, but I was planning on checking out the few seats I have (a true fit, a graco infant seat, and a marathon) and seeing how they do installed in the center. Sigh.

eduller

For what it's worth, VWs are very reliable and long-lived cars. Especially the TDIs. But I can't see you getting 2 car seats in it with the 40 folded down. Definitely not 2 radians. Maybe a radian and a narrow infant seat on a narrow base like the baby trend or the keyfit, but I think it would still hang over.

bigteamug

Er, not to burst your bubble, but wouldn't it be safer to carry skis outside the car, rather than next to DC's? Esp, as if it is skis, you'd likely be driving in less than ideal conditions. At the very least, be sure you have a good plan for securing them.....

maramarrie

Buy a Radian somewhere that will let you return it (Amazon, local store) and try it out. You could even buy two and test them SBS.

That said, I think you get whichever car you end up with and buy the roof attachment for skis.

bjacobson

In my 2011 Jetta Sportwagen, I tried a FF Radian center next to a Snugride 32 with base passenger side, and it left enough room for a 3rd person to sit in the back, but again probably not enough room to actually fold that part of the seat down due to some hang over onto the OB driver position. There is even a past 3 across thread about a KF 30 passenger, FF Radian center, and Frontier OB driver...

Ski rack or rocket box on top would do the trick with either vehicle. We have a rocket box and can pack a ton of stuff between that and the large cargo area.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC