Britax roundabout

Lesajo

Why is the Roundabout not "popular"? Is it because it doesn't last as many years as others because it has lower limits? I posted last week about wanting to get gifts on Sunday for two new moms (both have 3 older children, but they do have new babies:) Anyway, suggestions were made to get the Graco S4M, Graco MS70 and Evenflo Sureride. I've looked at all of them, and they all seem nice. Target is 5 minutes from me, BRU is 15 minutes from me, so shopping isn't a problem (other than the baby shower starts at 3:30 tomorrow, and of course it's now the last minute). Anyway, in my search, I see the Roundabout for $150 or so. Loved mine, though ended up needing to get a Marathon 3 years later, but had another child to go in RA, so no big deal. I'd say for both of these moms, this is the last child for at least one of them, so they won't be handing the seat down to next child, which is probably a negative for getting RA. The Marathon is $230, and the S4M is $180, as well as Graco MS70. Sure ride is just $100 at Target. I am a Britax fan - loved those no twist straps and always found them easy to use. This is obviously a group gift. I'm no longer an avid reader though as our youngest is 11. Maybe the Marathon is no longer the queen in that price range.

ADS

Jessica61624

The new gen roundabouts are just as good at the higher end seats. I think people recommend the other seats for the erf benefits. I have a boulevard for my 8 month old and love it. However my 3 year old has outgrown it rf by height. Most members here erf past two years. The general population is just getting the rf until 2 down. If you like the roundabout I'd go for it!

Mamasboys

:shrug-shoulders: I love my RA55. The newest Roundabouts have the same shell height but shorter harness height as the pricier MA70/BV70, etc. Many find that for the same or similar price, the new Gracos and others give longer RF longevity. In this respect, I can see how some say Britax has been knocked off their throne.

However, had the Size4Me been out when I bought my RA55, I still would pick Britax. I have a tight car to fit it in RF, and thankfully a kid with a short-torso. In that respect, I think the RA55 is still a great option. But with high RF limits becoming more available by many other brands, Britax has lost its edge, and I think the RA55 is more of the go-to small car seat, rather than the longest lasting one for many people.

Jeni-GAcpst

Are you shopping for new babies? The next gen RA55 wont fit a newborn. The bottom slots are maybe 9" which is fine for about 6mo size shirt. The classic RA50 from target has 11" bottom slots which doesn't fit until closer to 12mo.

Britax works fine for petite kids or as posted above if you only want to RF to bare minimums.
The Classic RA from target has a 35lb RFing weight limit. That's a 50% 3yo but my top of the chart kiddos hit 35lbs before 24mo. The next gen RA55 fits RFing until about a 4t shirt in height. Perfect for a 50% or less child, but not so long lasting when a $150 S4M has 4" additional growing space and $100 SureRide has 2" additional.
Once we look at FFing, the Graco seat will last about a year or two longer in harness height and the SureRide will last 3 years longer due to 3" higher harness.

The RA isn't a bad seat. Many families have additional children to pass down, so it's okay if a seat is outgrown early. But many families want the longest lasting seat for the cost. And to my knowledge, the Graco seat is currently the most compact front to back so Britax is getting a bit of a bump down the list as far as most recommended.

Stelvis

Are you shopping for new babies? The next gen RA55 wont fit a newborn. The bottom slots are maybe 9" which is fine for about 6mo size shirt. The classic RA50 from target has 11" bottom slots which doesn't fit until closer to 12mo.

Britax works fine for petite kids or as posted above if you only want to RF to bare minimums.
The Classic RA from target has a 35lb RFing weight limit. That's a 50% 3yo but my top of the chart kiddos hit 35lbs before 24mo. The next gen RA55 fits RFing until about a 4t shirt in height. Perfect for a 50% or less child, but not so long lasting when a $150 S4M has 4" additional growing space and $100 SureRide has 2" additional.
Once we look at FFing, the Graco seat will last about a year or two longer in harness height and the SureRide will last 3 years longer due to 3" higher harness.

The RA isn't a bad seat. Many families have additional children to pass down, so it's okay if a seat is outgrown early. But many families want the longest lasting seat for the cost. And to my knowledge, the Graco seat is currently the most compact front to back so Britax is getting a bit of a bump down the list as far as most recommended.

The RA55 absolutely will fit a newborn, just like all new gen Britax convertibles! Especially with the added foam insert ($12) which increases the internal recline by about 10 degrees. It's an awesome convertible choice for a newborn. Bottom slots without insert are 8.5", with insert they're about 7". Which is lower than a CCO.

My baby fit fine without the insert by 1 month old, and possibly could have gone without from birth. She was 20.5" and 7 lb 7 oz at birth.

I don't think a 6 month size shirt corresponds to a 9" torso. DD had an 11" torso at 2-3 months and was still in 6 month shirts. Yes, she fit a classic RA50 before she turned 3 months.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
The RA55 more or less IS the Marathon of yesteryear, I'm amazed they can get such good quality into such a low price point. It's the seat I bought for my husband's grandbaby, and they love it. Should rearface most kids to 2-3, and forward face most till booster age, 5ish, so it's really not lacking much. I personally like it much better than the Size4Me, mostly considering that so many gracos have such super-hard buckles lately, and there's zero bum padding and no crotch room. Evenflo Symphony is another nice choice, but personally I don't find it quite AS nice as the Roundabout, but for people who are hardcore insistent on a seat that becomes a booster, it's great.

finn

I illegally imported a ra55 and I'm so glad I did, it's an amazingly comfy seat that installs quickly and easily into every car I have put it in, both big and small. It takes up less room than one of my Swedish seats :) I use it as a travel seat simply because it had lock offs and I know it will fit & install easily :) dd chooses it so it must be comfy :)

katymyers

I just bought 3 Britax Boulevard 70-G3s for our kids because I've ALWAYS been really impressed with Britax and after getting them and using them I truly feel that they are the best. My husband and I are very seriously considering getting three Roundabouts for his car. Britax doesn't have any HUGE advantage over other seats I've used, it's more like ALL the many, many little things add up making it so much superior. And for the price of the RA, it really is hard to beat.

MommyShannon

We used the RA55 from birth this time too. I love that seat for babies, but it won't get my average sized 3 year old DD to 4 rf like my goal. Its the baby's now so that's fine. My older kids would have outgrown it ff at 4 years old so it just isn't ideal for "birth to ERF to booster age". It is a niche seat that is great for that early niche especially if you can keep passing it down. If they are going to use infant buckets the first 9 months to a year, they are missing the time its best for imo. I recommend it in a heartbeat for anyone skipping the bucket.

Jessica61624

We used the RA55 from birth this time too. I love that seat for babies, but it won't get my average sized 3 year old DD to 4 rf like my goal. Its the baby's now so that's fine. My older kids would have outgrown it ff at 4 years old so it just isn't ideal for "birth to ERF to booster age". It is a niche seat that is great for that early niche especially if you can keep passing it down. If they are going to use infant buckets the first 9 months to a year, they are missing the time its best for imo. I recommend it in a heartbeat for anyone skipping the bucket.

Its very likely the person she's buying the seat for won't rf past two.

cpsaddict

I really love the RA55(I have a MA70, but I got it right when it came out and preferred the cover choices of the 70). For the average parent that will rearface until 2ish and use it until 4-5, it's great. Easy to install, easy to use, easy to wash. It doesn't take 347552 pieces to install it or 15 calls to CS to clarify the different nuances of it. At $150, it truly is a bargain, IMO. I have lots of seats and do feel Britax are the easiest to use for the non-car seat savvy parent. I just got a Radian R100 and it is NOT a good seat for someone just randomly grabbing a seat. The boot, Safe Step, angle adjuster, etc are all extra steps that most people won't take the time to understand.

MommyShannon

Its very likely the person she's buying the seat for won't rf past two.

That's just why I wouldn't recommend it over some of the others that were. Its a very nice seat, but not as well suited for a single child given its shell and harness heights even for children who won't rf past 2.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
I haven't put her in it lately because I gave/loaned mine to my husband's infant grandson, but I'm pretty sure my tall 30 month old with a long torso would still fit RF in the Roundabout 55. I liked it quite a bit, it just wasn't the "right" seat for us (too wide for the Civic with my teenagers back there, and too high up off the ground for lifting my 35 lb toddler into the Suburban). I kept it around a long time as the seat to throw into the babysitter's car and that sort of thing, and the only reason I no longer have it is because a family member needed it more than I did.

I think it really depends on your goal. If you want to get a seat you can be 90% sure will last the child until kindergarten, the RA55 is not your best bet. If the parents are 5'11" and 6'4" and intend to RF to age 4, it's also probably not your best bet. For a child of average-height parents who want to rear-face an average amount of time (let's say 2 years) and who can (and will) buy a forward facing seat later if this one gets outgrown before kindergarten, then it would make a great gift. If they will be using it from birth, be sure to get the infant insert that goes with it to make sure it will fit properly.

finn

Brigala said:
I haven't put her in it lately because I gave/loaned mine to my husband's infant grandson, but I'm pretty sure my tall 30 month old with a long torso would still fit RF in the Roundabout 55. I liked it quite a bit, it just wasn't the "right" seat for us (too wide for the Civic with my teenagers back there, and too high up off the ground for lifting my 35 lb toddler into the Suburban). I kept it around a long time as the seat to throw into the babysitter's car and that sort of thing, and the only reason I no longer have it is because a family member needed it more than I did.

I think it really depends on your goal. If you want to get a seat you can be 90% sure will last the child until kindergarten, the RA55 is not your best bet. If the parents are 5'11" and 6'4" and intend to RF to age 4, it's also probably not your best bet. For a child of average-height parents who want to rear-face an average amount of time (let's say 2 years) and who can (and will) buy a forward facing seat later if this one gets outgrown before kindergarten, then it would make a great gift. If they will be using it from birth, be sure to get the infant insert that goes with it to make sure it will fit properly.

Yeah my tall almost two year old still has miles above her head, I'm guessing she has a short torso as she is only on the 2nd set of slots. My nephew who is almost 4, with a long torso just squeaks in under the top slots but has outgrown it rf.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC