Which car seat for a Town And Country?

U

Unregistered

Looking for advice. I drive a 2009 Chrysler Town and Country and my son is rapidly growing out of his infant carrier. Seats I like are Safety First Complete Air LX, Graco My Size 70, and the new Chicco Next Fit.

Thoughts? What installs best in my van? I like the complete air and Graco a lot and I'm nervous about the chicco since it is new. So I am looking for any and all opinions!

ADS

MamaErin

How old and what size (height/ weight) is your son?

What infant seat is he in and is he outgrowing it by weight or height?

If he is truly outgrowing the seat quickly you may not even be able to wait on the release of the Nextfit as I have heard release dates often get pushed back.

Phineasmama

I would probably hold off for the Chicco if I were you, especially since the release is only less than a month away!!

I drive a 2010 Grand Caravan which has the same interior and is basically the same van. I can tell you from experience that you will want a seat that has a good amount of recline because the van seats are very sloped. The seats I have found that work very well for rear facing are:
Maxi Cosi Pria 70
Diono Radian (any model)
Graco MyRide
Peg Perego convertible (does install a little more upright)

Britax convertibles are okay especially if you use a pool noodle cut in half when installing to get a tiny bit more recline.

The Complete Air would probably be fine, I haven't installed one in the van but I know it reclines quite a bit.

The new Chicco Nextfit I have a feeling will work REALLY well because of all the recline positions it has, and it looks so nice and easy to install.

MamanMag

I have a 2009 T & C and I have to tell you that it all depends on where you would like to install your car seat... If it's on the captain chairs, I would think that all the seats you mentioned would probably work. I can tell you that the third row is more difficult to accommodate car seats :(. On the captain seats, I have installed chicco keyfits, an Orbit Baby rear and forward facing (very easy with the latch!!) and a Britax Frontier. On the back I was only able to install the OB forward facing on the passenger side. In the back there is only one set of latch and it is in a weird place (kind of off-center). The belt installation is a little bit trickier...

Let us know on which seat you would like to install your car seat so we can help you better :)

HTH

Mag

Phineasmama

Installing in the 3rd row is fairly easy for rear facing seats IF: a) you have a seat that sits high up on a base, b) you have a seat with rear facing lock offs. I have never had a problem installing a rear facing seat with the off center LATCH, but it does limit your options of what set up you can have if you have more than 3 kids. And there is only one tether spot in the middle of the back row for forward facing seats.

U

Unregistered

He is outgrowing height wise. Not sure of his exact length but he was 95% at his last check up and his feet are starting to hang over the bottom. He just looks very uncomfortable in his seat these days, like a giant trying to fit in a compact car. Poor guy LOL. He is 9 months and about 20-21 pounds and long. So he could probably wait a bit but not a ton longer. He is currently in a Baby Trend Flex Loc, the newer 30 pound/30 inch version. And I just looked in his baby book and he was 29 inches in January. EEEK no wonder he looks like he's bursting out! He may be past the 30 already! Ugh!

So I need something that is going to last height wise. My daughter is very tall for her age as well, so I am expecting him to be too!

I am installing this seat RF in the drivers side stow and go second row seat. The slope has been a problem in the past installing, that is why I came to you experienced mamas for my particular vehicle! :)

Phineasmama

The Radian would be great if you have a tall kiddo, and it installs like a dream in the captains chairs :) Like they were made for each other! And it's easier to get the baby in and out since it's lower profile.
I install mine with LATCH so that I can easily slide the seat forward and back if I need to.

The problem with the Dorel seats- which include the Safety 1st complete air and the Maxi Cosi pria, is that they have 40" standing height limits for rear facing. So if you have a tall kid they might not be the best choice.

The Diono RXT and R120 both rear face to 45 lbs, and forward face to 80 lbs. The only difference is the RXT has head wings. The R100 is cheaper but rear faces to 40 lbs and forward faces to 65. They all have the same shell height though.

U

Unregistered

My parents have a 2012 town & country, I'm looking for a forward facing five point harness into a booster for my daughter. She's turning three in November and currently weighs 38.5lbs and is 39.5in tall. I'm thinking of installing on the 2nd row captain chair (leaving the other captain chair for my rear facing nephew and the third row for passengers) but forward facing with seat belt seams to be posing a problem with installation. I'm also hoping for something on the affordable side since she's not really going to be traveling in that car all too much. I purchased the Graco Tranzitions and was really excited but I couldn't get a secure fit. I'm not sure if it is the position of the seat belt, or the style of the captain chair or combination of both? Thank you for your time and expertise :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC