School Bus - 3 to a seat safe?

trailrunnermom

I read the other school bus threads, but I haven't found information regarding how many children per seat.

***EDITED TO ADD*** Found answer! See below:

Posted earlier by Darren in the School Bus Safety thread: "All true. In addition, compartmentalization doesn't work for the aisle seat if three kids are in the same seat. The issue is cost vs. the extremely low number of fatalities and injuries. This choice is made by every school district now that safer options exist."

Thanks, Darren!

I asked because our elementary school bus is crowded, and it appears that most of the children have to ride three-to-a-seat. The neighborhood moms are wondering if they should call to request that the bus route be adjusted.

Last edited:
ADS

trailrunnermom

I found some additional information at the "School Bus Transportion News" website (http://www.stnonline.com/stn/faq/aboutpupiltrans.htm#children):
-------------------quote-------------------------------
What is the number of persons who can safely sit on a school bus seat?

Federal regulation does not specify the number of persons that can sit on a school bus seat. The school bus manufacturers determine the maximum seating capacity of a school bus. The manufacturers use this number, which is based on sitting three small elementary school age persons per typical 39 inch school bus seat, in the calculations for determining the gross vehicle weight rating and the number of emergency exits. School transportation providers generally determine the number of persons that they can safely fit into a school bus seat. Generally they fit three smaller elementary school age persons or two adult high school age persons into a typical 39 inch school bus seat.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recommends that all passengers be seated entirely within the confines of the school bus seats while the bus is in motion. Federal motor vehicle safety standard No. 222, "School Bus Passenger Seating and Crash Protection" requires that the interior of large buses provide occupant protection so that children are protected without the need to buckle-up. Occupant crash protection is provided by a protective envelope consisting of strong, closely-spaced seats that have energy-absorbing seat backs. Persons not sitting or sitting partially outside of the school bus seats will not be afforded the occupant protection provided by the school bus seats.
-----------------------end quote-------------------------------------

The last line makes me realize why being 3-to-a-row and in the aisle position could be unsafe...the child could be thrown into the frame of the seat in front, rather than the foam area.

I wanted to pass along the additional information for anyone else who may be interested. Overall, I'm comfortable enough with school bus safety to allow my two older children (age 15, on the bus to H.S.) and 6 (elem. school bus) to ride. But I will remind the younger one about sitting properly in his seat, and trying to sit 2-to-a-row rather than 3.

singingpond

My oldest is starting Kindergarten this year, and I just found out that the bus driver requires the children to keep their backpacks on during the bus ride (less fiddling to get them back on when the kids get off the bus, I guess). Not only does this strike me as darned uncomfortable, but it seems as if it makes the kids less safe (having them perched more at the edges of their seats, rather than sitting back against the backrest)? Or maybe it makes no safety difference if the bus were to come to a very abrupt stop (i.e. a collision), since they would fly forward from the back of the seat just as much as they would fly forward if perched on the front edge? I guess I'll have to read more about the theory of compartmentalization, to see if proper sitting position in the seat makes any safety difference... At least ours aren't sitting three to a seat though.

Katrin

trailrunnermom

My oldest is starting Kindergarten this year, and I just found out that the bus driver requires the children to keep their backpacks on during the bus ride (less fiddling to get them back on when the kids get off the bus, I guess). Katrin

You're right about the backpacks...you may want to check your city/county's policy (try the school district website and/or call the transportation manager for your area). Our school bus safety pamphlet (which I had to sign and return), specifically states:

"...sit facing front and hold your backpack or belongings in your lap."

It also says: "Backpacks are important. They keep all school supplies intact and free hands for holding handrails when entering or exiting the bus."

So, our county recommends that kids should wear backpacks when boarding/unboarding, but should remove them on the bus. (Another thing I should remind my son to do if he's not doing so!) :) It shouldn't take long for even the younger kids to get the hang of doing this.

Hope Kinder. is going well!

amyg530

i remember when i was in middle school (and i was tiny then still) riding 3 to a seat, b/c the busses were always over crowded, and that if you were on the aisle, you had to turn sideways and face the seat across the aisle from you, b/c that was the only way your butt would stay on the seat, obviously not safe

of course i also remember in elem school, crawling under the seats from the front all the way to the tire, to get closer to the back of the bus, b/c you could feel the bumps better :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC