Odyssey an Sienna fave years?

zoecoltsmama

We are looking at buying one of them made within the last ten years, more likely on the earlier side because of our pocket books. What years do you love what years do we avoid?

ADS

StillThankful

We are looking at buying one of them made within the last ten years, more likely on the earlier side because of our pocket books. What years do you love what years do we avoid?

Some members here have a wealth of knowledge on this matter--Jeanum comes to mind.

As far as the Odyssey goes, I read that the 2004 Honda Odysseys are pretty reliable over the other earlier ones--transmission related.

MommyShannon

I am not sure about the 2004 Ody, but the 2005 only has 3 top tethers (captains seats and 1 in 3rd row). 2006-2010 have 5 top tethers. I'm not sure all the years, but the Touring model of the Ody came standard with PAX run flat tires for a few years. They had a lot of issues. You can search on google for De-pax Ody for details. Our '06 had them. We love it now that its been de-PAXed but its an added cost to consider and negotiate about.

zoecoltsmama

looked at a 04 Odyssey today, we liked it, but turns out the seller didn't have the title? kinda a deal breaker. the other two we planed to look at had already sold by the time we were dune with the first.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you're also still considering Siennas, 2004 was the first model year of the family/carseat friendlier, roomier 2nd generation redesign, with full LATCH in all rear seating positions except the third row driver's side, and this was the case through the 2010 model year for the Sienna. Side curtain airbags and front side torso airbags were options in 2004-2005 Sienna models (LE trim level and up, not on the CE base model to my knowledge at that time), and became standard starting for the 2006 model year, while they were standard as of the 2005 model year for the Odyssey, along with standard stability control in the 2005 Ody. Stability and traction control were optional and packaged with the side curtain and front side torso airbags in the Sienna LE for 2004-2005. Stability and traction control eventually became standard instead of optional in the Sienna, but I'm bad at remembering by which model year it happened, but after the 2006 model year at least.

If you're wanting an 8-passenger 2004-2010 Sienna and AWD, you're going to have to choose between those features because they're mutually exclusive - AWD was an option only on the 7-passenger models, not on the 8-passenger Sienna, and AWD models have a lower fuel economy rating compared to FWD. AWD Sienna models also came with run-flat tires prone to wearing out more quickly and spendier to replace, much like the run-flat tires on the higher trim level Ody models. FWIW I live in the snowy north and owned a FWD 8-passenger 2005 Sienna from early 2005 until a year ago. I didn't miss having AWD on the Sienna, even though it replaced a 2003 Saturn Vue with AWD.:)

If you're also wondering about post-2010 Siennas, since used ones haven't depreciated all that hugely compared to some of the newer ones, the 2011 Sienna third generation redesign disappoints with only 3 top tether anchors and a smaller, very carseat unfriendly second row center seating position in the 8-passenger model compared to the second generation 2004-2010 8-passenger model Sienna.

vtbecca

I have an 06 Sienna and love it. We bought it used in 2008 with under 30,000 miles. I think we're nearing 90,000 miles and it's been great. We plan on keeping it forever. Comfortable seats, reliable, just good all around!
Becca

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC