A question on booster seats from a grandpa

Dan Murphy

I have asked a few questions here over the years, always great advice.

Two grandsons, ages 6 and 3 1/2. Height 44 and 36 inches, weight, 39 and 31 pounds.

I have purchased for my daughter's use, a Britax Frontier 85 and a Boulevard. My wife has the same in her car. They both haul the kids a lot.

I have two Evenflo Maestro's.

All the seats are fine.

We are taking my daughter and the two grandsons to Disney World in a month or so. We are flying then renting a car. I am looking to have something more simple for them both, hauling down on the plane, installing at the car rental place, and then in reverse when coming home.

Any suggestions?

Also, on the plane itself, do both kids just use the plane seat belt? Nothing additional?

Thanks again.

ADS

Brianna

Is the 6 year old mature enough to sit in a booster, will he leave the seat belt in place and not move out of position? If he'll be fine, then a seat like the Graco Turbobooster would be a good option. He can use the backless portion towards his carryon limit (stowed, not in use for the flight) and you can either pack the backrest portion in a suitcase or leave it home. There's also a new folding booster that was released, this might be a good option too.

For the 3 1/2 year old I would bring a Maestro and use it on the plane and in the rental. If you'd like something more compact, you could use an RSTV for the rental car, but not on the plane http://safetrafficsystem.com/ver4/

D&L's-mommy

If the 6 year old uses the harness on the maestro I would bring a maestro for each kid (since you already have them) and also use them on the plane. Trust me, you want them in a car seat on the plane, they will sit so much better. If you do decide to get a booster, I would make sure it has a back, since you don't know how well he will fit without a back in the rental car
BTW, you won't regret a rental car at disney, it makes life so much easier than having to use their transportation

Dan Murphy

Thank you both so far, hope to hear more.

6 year old still uses the harness.

How do you anchor the car seat (let's say the Maestro) to the airplane seat? I currently use the LATCH.

Brianna

Most 6 year olds are mature enough to sit properly in a booster, especially for trips or occasional use. If you feel he wouldn't sit properly then keep him harnessed, but if you feel he might then it wouldn't be a bad idea to try him in a booster now. To use a car seat on the airplane, install with the lap belt on the plane seat. Your manual will have instructions but it's fairly simple- buckle it through the belt path and pull it tight just like you would on yourself.

Also, are you aware of the new LATCH limits? Your grandchildren may be over the weight limit for LATCH in some of your vehicles- if they are, switch to a seat belt installation http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=2438668&postcount=123

Dan Murphy

Thanks for the additional input.

The LATCH is good up to 48 pounds.

If I wanted to tempt fate, is it okay to just use the airplane seat belt on both children, no car seat for either?

Brianna

If you're going to bring the car seats then you may as well use them on the plane. It's guaranteed that they will be there when you arrive and you know that they won't be damaged from shifting luggage hitting them. The 6 year old should be fine with nothing on the plane if you're going to bring a booster or RSTV, but the 3 1/2 year old should still use something on the plane if you were only going to bring an RSTV- the FAA recommends all children under 40 pounds fly using a restraint http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Brianna

Yes. All seats that are FAA approved-Maestro included- (most but not all harnessed seats in the US) can be installed with just the lap belt on the plane.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
Yes, it is safe to use on a plane without the tether. I'm impressed you asked though. We spend so much time trying to hawk the general importance of tethering that it's great to talk to someone who gets it.

Then again, I can't be too surprised... we Murphy's tend to be a pretty smart bunch!:D

Dan Murphy

Thank you both. I guess we will belt the 6 year old, Maestro for the 3 1/2 year old. I read where a car seat can only be used in a window seat, correct?

As for the tether, I could not imagine not using one, only makes sense. And yes, Murphy's are a smart group. :cool:

aeormsby

Thank you both. I guess we will belt the 6 year old, Maestro for the 3 1/2 year old. I read where a car seat can only be used in a window seat, correct?

As for the tether, I could not imagine not using one, only makes sense. And yes, Murphy's are a smart group. :cool:

Carseats can't 'trap' people on inside seats on the plane. So if you will only be bringing one then it needs to be at the window. If you are bringing 2 then they can go next to each other window & center.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC